App description: Tactical scale World War 2 turn based strategy game, that puts the player in the role of an Axis or Allied army general. You command battalion level units with the objectives to engage the enemy forces to occupy key locations or supply points.

Playable in both Retina high-resolution mode and normal resolution mode.
US, Soviet and 2 German starting campaigns in 72 historical semi-accurate scenarios, and introductory tutorial scenario.
4000 historically accurate units, each unit having more than 20 stats and only being available depending on scenario year, based on AdlerKorps equipment. 30 countries available.
Build you own core army, train your core units to increase their experience, gain prestige to upgrade or buy new units, carry them over scenarios as the campaign progresses.
Units can gain Leaders in combat for more abilities
Special unit actions depending on unit class
Cross platform save/load game state at anytime beside the automatic turn save . Cloud based save/load game facility to continue playing on other devices.
20 Terrain types that influence combat, weather and ground conditions, automatic reinforcements.
Strategic overview map of entire battlefield, clean user interface that never hides the battlefield from player.
Full featured unit upgrade/purchase Equipment window with sorting and filtering
Ad Free.

Greyskull's comments:

Downloaded this yesyerday, didn't see a thread. The gui isn't the best-but this is a reasonably competent Panzer General 2/3 style game. Worth a try for grognards.
12-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Is this turn based? Installed size?

12-14-2013, 04:53 AM
Another thing just come out from nowhere. It says 57.3MB in size, version is 2.7.0(?!)

Will install and test it out tonight and send back some initial.

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
12-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Very quick report:

Looks like this is port of a web-based wargame of the same name

www.openpanzer.net

The web version is 2.6.3, though.

The app has the final install size of 64.9MB. The game is completed with RD and 3-D acceleration support and is very crisp.
As for the interface, basically the same interface as the web version, and it is quick slick and responsive. You can scale it to your liking, but the map and the units cannot be scaled up or down...

I am still running through the tutorial for now and looks like you can play against AI or another human on the same device. It is completed with a campaign and a number of scenarios, which I am yet to dig in.

...not back to Ascension and prepping dinner...

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

12-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Is this turn based? Installed size?
Yeah-turn based. HUGE unit database. I stumbled into this the day before yesterday iirc...randomly browsing the store. As one does
12-14-2013, 06:12 AM
I will install Open Panzer when I get home to my iPad...
12-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Downloaded...

Download size: 54.7MB
Installed size: 69.4MB

Open Panzer is free as in beer. No IAP unlocks. No IAP anything. Free to download.

I tried the tutorial and it immediately reminded me of a PC wargame by popping up text boxes for me to read as the game tried to teach me the different elements by having me read many text boxes. This kind of tutorial works better when it is in the form of a printed manual that I can flip back and forth as I try to follow the tutorial.

Strangely I had no sound. Not a big issue for me as I usually turn off the music and just leave the sound effects on...
12-15-2013, 06:12 AM
The game looks good, but it's a little rough on the edges. The tutorial is way too short. I feel kinda overwhelmed when the first real mission is not a small map but a big front line with many different units, even air fighters. Their website is dowm ATM so I don't know if there's a manual available.
12-16-2013, 03:35 AM
Feedback

Hi guys and thanks for the feedback, I'm the developer of Open Panzer, and since it's a 1 man team, I rely on users for bug reports and feedback for improvements. I will monitor this thread for any issues you wish to report. I don't mind negative reports.

I already submitted 2.7.1 update to app store with Game Center integration and some other fixes.
12-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello, welcome aboard.

The UI is pretty responsive and the game is smooth, so far. However, I cannot zoom in the map to see my units and the combat results, both at RD or not. I am worried I cannot go on playing more complex scenarios.

Also, the UI does not scale correctly at 1.3x or above and I cannot read the unit info clear. I also find the unit info bar moves away from the screen bottom when I pan across the map.

Sorry I am a little harsher than normal and I understand it is ported from web interface but mobile touchscreen is very different from the web one.