★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Song of Swords RPG" FREE on IOS until 21st December

12-14-2013, 08:36 AM
"Song of Swords RPG" FREE on IOS until 21st December

Hello RPG lovers !

Our first RPG, nationally Awarded : "Indie Game of the Year, People Choice Award" in 2013 NASSCOM is free for the launch on IOS, until the 21st of December.

I give you the link below if you want to give it a shot.

The game keeps the gameplay of Battleheart, and we have build our game around this.

Hope you will like it !

12-14-2013, 11:23 AM
When you say, keeps the gameplay of battleheart you're not lying. It feels almost exactly like battleheart. The only difference is the combat is considerably flower in the beginning. To be honest it's not a bad game, but I was bored after about 8 minutes. This isn't a knock at your development team though- the game has heart, it just needs some more polish. You can't upgrade gear and you get 1 new teammate every couple of levels. My biggest complaint is the pacing, everything feels tedious and underwhelming, and since this is a copy of battleheart, I was expecting more. Pretty good game though , this is the best battleheart clone that I've played.

12-14-2013, 09:07 PM

12-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words Batu !

Hello Batu,

Thank you so much for your review !

We have started the project after being fired from Gameloft. Our studio shut down overnight, leaving 350 of us jobless, from one day to the other.

So we did not have much time for pre-production ;-)

Battleheart was (and still is !) BY FAR the best RPG on Mobile. So we said : "let's take the gameplay, see what can be improved, and do better than this"

But we realized that Mika Mobile was just too talented. The more we tried, the more we realized they were no way we could reach this level of quality for now.

When we realized the special effects, or the animations were not as good as Mika Mobile's, it was too late. Even for a small game like that, if you need to redo all the animation set, it takes 500 hours, and 200 hours for the special effects. Then you need to resinc everything in the engine, resinc the sounds, test all the effects, and you end up spending 1000 hours.

Still, if you say that it is the best Battleheart-clone you have played, I take it as a huge compliment !

Battleheart was not available for Blackberry 10, and we put SoS on this platform first. We are still topping the charts after 2 months, and we have something like 98% 5 star reviews.

Also, SoS is on its way for Windows Mobile. Battleheart is also not available there, so I am confident we can bring some fun for RPG lovers who have these phones.

We are already working on a sequel, the engine is ready now, and we have learned a lot. I am sure we can do much, much better now.

There are tons of stuff we can add, a co-op mode, scrolling bg, adding dynamic events on the battlefield.....plus tons of stuffs I will keep secret for now, that we simply did not have the time to think of when we made SoS.

Thank you once more for your encouraging words,

Have a good day,

12-15-2013, 02:14 AM
I gotta try this game out! downloading!
12-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Any news Markku

Originally Posted by Markku View Post
I gotta try this game out! downloading!
Hello Markku. Did you got some time to check it ?
12-16-2013, 06:40 AM
yes I played for a good 30 mins and here is my thoughts so far. It is the best battleheart game I have played that tried to be battleheart. I also don't know what your talking about the animations seem fine to me however i have 2 worrys and wondering if you can answer this for me.

1. Does the game get harder? I feel the game is really easy so far however I believe im on lvl 4-5

2. Is there lots of loot like battleheart or is there a lot less here?

I do want to say the game is pretty polished so far and would like to know if you guys are brining any other games to the app store?
12-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Hello Marku, thank you so much for your feedback !

1) Concerning the difficulty, basically here is how we did, we know it is not perfect, but we really felt it was a good idea to go like that :

_ First World is easy, hard core RPG gamers usually find no challenge here. But casual players usually find it hard actually.

_ Second World is medium, hard core RPG gamers usually finish without grinding. Casual players gets a real challenge here.

_ Third World is hard, even hard core RPG gamers gets killed if they are not focused. If you don't have the good gear, good team, good special powers enabled, if you don't coordinate well your Special Attacks, there is no way you make it.

2) Concerning the loot :

There is more than 100 objects in the game (weapons, armors, objects). But I see what you are talking about. We are giving too few of them after each fight right ? This was a difficult point to solve for us. We tried several ways to distribute the loot, but I was really afraid that if we went more generous, then the game would have become too easy. I will put my mind into it again and see what can we do here.

3) Next title :

Some of us are already working on our next title, but we don't want to disclose anything for now. We are still in pre-production.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions, and tell me if I answered correctly,

12-16-2013, 03:07 PM
wow thanks for all this information looking forward to playing it again later today.!
12-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Worth a try, thanks devs.

Also, thanks for sharing the story behind the game. Interesting. App market is very hard to compete in I guess.

iOS: iPad Air 2 128GB Space Gray, iPod Touch 5 32GB Space Gray
Android: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Black/Gray