★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Octagon, 1.49 to 69p

12-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Octagon, 1.49 to 69p

Really worth getting this, especially if you like endless. One of my fave twitch games.

12-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
One of my fave twitch games.
Agreed. A no brainier at this price.

It's too late.

12-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure I know I'll pick this up but I've just started Boson X so I'm not sure I need another like it ATM. Knowing my addiction to hoarding new games for a later date, I imagine I'll buy it regardless but is it different enough from the almighty Boson?
12-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Pretty sure I know I'll pick this up but I've just started Boson X so I'm not sure I need another like it ATM. Knowing my addiction to hoarding new games for a later date, I imagine I'll buy it regardless but is it different enough from the almighty Boson?
Both are fun. I started with Boson X and that game is on my shortlist for game of the year.

I didn't dig Octagon at first due to the control, but once I switched to the tap controls, the game controlled perfectly. When you die, you can restarted the current layout for the level, or an option to randomize the layout for the same level. If you start with the same layout, you can memorize your way to completing the level. I prefer randomized layout and the game was much more fun once I found out you can randomize the layout. Also, as you complete each level, the subsequent level will throw a different kink in the layout. Its a nice sense of progression when there's something new to see each level.

For Boson X, after I "beat" the game..I played it for a few more weeks everyday but eventually, I kinda stopped playing it for now. With Octagon..by looking at the leaderboard, I still have many levels to go and new layouts "twists" to discover, so I'm still playing it everyday so I can progress.

Long story short..there's something in each one of these games and not much overlap to me. Both are really fun for me and both are highly recommended. These 2 (along with Solipskier) are the few "endless/runner" games that will stay on my ipod touch for a long long time.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Last edited by tops2; 12-14-2013 at 12:40 PM.
12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Both are fun. I started with Boson X and that game is on my shortlist for game of the year.

I didn't dig Octagon at first due to the control, but once I switched to the tap controls, the game controlled perfectly. When you die, you can restarted the current layout for the level, or an option to randomize the layout for the same level. If you start with the same layout, you can memorize your way to completing the level. I prefer randomized layout and the game was much more fun once I found out you can randomize the layout. Also, as you complete each level, the subsequent level will throw a different kink in the layout. Its a nice sense of progression when there's something new to see each level.

For Boson X, after I "beat" the game..I played it for a few more weeks everyday but eventually, I kinda stopped playing it for now. With Octagon..by looking at the leaderboard, I still have many levels to go and new layouts "twists" to discover, so I'm still playing it everyday so I can progress.

Long story short..there's something in each one of these games and not much overlap to me. Both are really fun for me and both are highly recommended. These 2 (along with Solipskier) are the few "endless/runner" games that will stay on my ipod touch for a long long time.
Bought and bought. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, I'm especially willing to take the advice from someone with the good taste to be a fellow Cave lover!
12-14-2013, 01:37 PM
New stuff in the updated version

Hey guys, great you love the game! I have just published an update which includes new endless mode and two new original tracks by Sqeepo! Please rate the game in the App Store so other people don't hesitate to download Octagon. Thx!
12-14-2013, 04:02 PM
FYI it seems the Mac version is free right now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/octagon-minimal-arcade-game/id691956219?mt=12

It's too late.
12-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Hmm.. Think I'll pick this one up.
12-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Thanks Royce!!
01-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Free