Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite original/indie iOS game for 2013?
Badland 30 23.81%
Oceanhorn 33 26.19%
Boson X 15 11.90%
Mikey Hooks 6 4.76%
Starborn Anarkist 4 3.17%
Plasma Sky 2 1.59%
9th Dawn 14 11.11%
Quadropus Rampage 7 5.56%
Duet Game 3 2.38%
Continue?9876543210 12 9.52%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Touch Arcade Forums' iOS Original/Indie GoTY 2013 - OCEANHORN -

First annual Touch Arcade Forums Indie/Original GoTY has finished!

Congratulations to the winners:

First Place:

Oceanhorn
33 Votes

Second Place:

Badland
30 Votes

Third place:

Boson X
15 Votes

Thank you to everyone who participated. And a special thanks to undeadcow for his help and also for the main GoTY poll!

Last edited by awp69; 01-16-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Great idea! I also would include Squeenix to that list
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
Great idea! I also would include Squeenix to that list
Yeah, thought about SE as well, even though most of their better games are ports anyway.

Also, if anyone thinks this may cause too much interference with the main poll, please express that opinion as well. The last thing I want to do is dilute the main poll's significance. So even if we do have this poll, PLEASE still nominate all games, including indies, in the main poll. Don't want people thinking ... Oh I'll save that for the originals/indie poll.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

This was opened up in a different thread, but Savant Ascent is not a port.

Savant Ascent was originally designed to be in iOS among other platforms, but there were complications in the build which delayed the iOS version.

That said, im not sure if Boson X would qualify. The iOS version came out less than a month after the final release of the PC version.

This is taken from the Dev's website http://www.muandheyo.com/press/sheet.php?p=boson_x

Quote:
History

Jon and Ian have been working on Boson X on and off for about 3 years, while maintaining full-time jobs. They've added many features and then taken them out again, refined and polished the controls and levels, and agonised over many design decisions. They're feeling pretty good about it now and are looking forward to sharing it with the world. The PC, Mac and Linux version was released on 30 August as freeware and the iOS version will be available on 26 September as a paid app.
Will this qualify it as an original? It is indie, but im not sure if it is considered a port.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

I'll just copy my other GOTY list to here.

Quote:
Penumbear - This is and continues to be one of my favorite IOS games, not just of 2013, but of my entire IOS gaming career. A wealth of content, challenging platforming that requires precision and timing, expansive levels to be explored, an inventive light/shadow mechanic that is used in so many unique and inventive ways, even boss fights and secret levels, and more. This is a must play (IMO)

Badland - This game took the simplest control scheme possible and molded a varied challenging experience that combines physics puzzles, obstacle evasion, inventive power ups. The atmospheric art style is icing on the cake. And the fantastic post release support makes this game the model all premium game should follow.

Type Rider - The platforming is fun, but the incredibly atmospheric level design that turn the history of typography into worlds to traverse make Type Rider a one-of-a-kind experience

Starborn Anarkist - A recent addition, but so worth a spot on the list. Frantic bullet hell dual stick mayhem, randomized bosses and enemies, and a deep and open-ended ship building system that opens the door for myriad play styles.

Boson X - Better than Super Hexagon? Maybe, thanks to new obstacles in every level, throw-your-device-out-the-window difficulty, and simple but responsive touch controls

Beat Leap - Its minimal appearance hides a challenging and inventive game that, while paid now, was the shining example for free to play done right on IOS.

Slayin - Addictive hectic twitchy fantasy action with bosses, upgrades, missions, and characters that play so differently that switching between them feels like a whole new game

Icycle - Come for the platforming as the world itself alters and reforms around you, stay for the weird and abstract level design

Duet - Frustating, challenging, stylish, yet graceful all at the same time

Vector - Challenging auto-running evasion for the platforming fans, and wonderful and varied animations for the parkour fans
Would Vector and Boson X qualify here?

Last edited by Bronxsta; 12-17-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
This was opened up in a different thread, but Savant Ascent is not a port.

Savant Ascent was originally designed to be in iOS among other platforms, but there were complications in the build which delayed the iOS version.

That said, im not sure if Boson X would qualify. The iOS version came out less than a month after the final release of the PC version.

This is taken from the Dev's website http://www.muandheyo.com/press/sheet.php?p=boson_x

Will this qualify it as an original? It is indie, but im not sure if it is considered a port.
I'd say Boson X would qualify regardless. As mentioned in the OP, I was thinking smaller indie games should be considered even if they were "ports". To me, I consider true ports to be games that are well known. Small indie games, in most cases, are new to iOS users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Would Vector and Boson X qualify here?
Ditto for Vector.

This could get messy but I think we can work through any games in question -- particularly after all the nominations are in (of course, if you nominate something like XCOM that's obvious, it will be ignored in the tallies).

But to that end, if you can also say yeah or nay to the idea of this poll in general, that will help in determining if we should proceed.

Last edited by awp69; 12-17-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Republiqué
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I assume games that are simultaneously cross platform are eligible?

Nice! Thanks for stepping up to the plate with this Aw69! I've added a link to the general GOTY poll.

Last edited by undeadcow; 12-17-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I assume games that are simultaneously cross platform are eligible?
Yes, absolutely. And I'd say any game "ported" from Android is automatically fair game since it was designed for mobile.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
I'd say Boson X would qualify regardless. As mentioned in the OP, I was thinking smaller indie games should be considered even if they were "ports". To me, I consider true ports to be games that are well known. Small indie games, in most cases, are new to iOS users.

Ditto for Vector.

As one who is often indecisive, I'm starting to worry that this could be a big mess. The good intent is there but maybe this will encroach, as Bronxta's list shows, on the main poll.

To that end, if you can also say yeah or nay to the idea in general, that will help in determining if we should proceed.
Totally agree on this idea. Actually I swapped out Incredipede for Slayin for this poll and then in the main GOTY thread as well. Incredipede was already pretty well known amongst the PC Indie crowd, maybe not with IOS gamers, but I'm lumping it in with the known ports. And I thought Slayin was more deserving of a spot on a list of 2013's best