Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

Default SOPOR (by zipSTED)

Hey guys!

I want to present you SOPOR iOS platform game which has been released on App Store December 17.

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Excellent! Didn't realize this was out today. Been interested in this since I read about the game on IndieStatik.

Here's an excerpt from IndieStatik, for those interested in the game:
Quote:
Described as a combination of BADLAND and LIMBO with a dash of extra violence and paprika sprinkled in, SOPOR places you in control of a wheelchaired heroine stuck in the darkened corners of her mind. Portrayed as simply a black silhouette, the aesthetic similarities between the game’s inspirations are immediately apparent.

The trailer also indicated that platforming may require a more deft touch than a platformer like LIMBO, where you have full control at all times. Your predicament means that momentum generally carries your contraption forward, forcing you to manage how quickly you proceed in case any surprising objects may leap out at you.
I was able to get a promo code, so I'll post impressions later
Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Excellent! Didn't realize this was out today. Been interested in this since I read about the game on IndieStatik.

Here's an excerpt from IndieStatik, for those interested in the game:

I was able to get a promo code, so I'll post impressions later
Lookin' forward to 'em.

"SOPOR is the dark world of illusions which became a real. And she knows it." Gotta love that grammar.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM

On Toucharcade, it says 99 cents but if I try to buy it from the App Store itself, it's $2,99 instead !?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 AM

That trailer ruined it for me
The gameplay looks horrible
Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Played the first couple of levels. There are three worlds and you transition seamlessly between levels.

Visually, I think the inspirations are obvious. Gameplay wise, you can't jump, instead rolling left and right and using momentum to jump gaps and traverse each levels and avoid traps.

Now consider a game like Limbo for a moment. When you died one of those sudden unexpected deaths, it served a purpose; more often then not, death was a part of the puzzle solving and this made dying more of a learning experience than a frustration

But in SOPOR, the sudden and unexpected hazards and deaths just seem unfair, frustrating. There haven't been any puzzles to solve, just traps to overcome, so dying because by an unseen log falling from off screen, that you had no way of expecting or avoiding, is just annoying

At least the deaths are kind of funny, with heads rolling and limbs flopping and your characters ragdolling around as you're decapitated, impaled, exploded, etc.

So regarding SOPOR, I'll put it this way: I'm glad I was able to get a promo code rather than having to pay for the game.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Played the first couple of levels.
I'm glad I was able to get a promo code rather than having to pay for the game.
Hmm.
Great review, thank you.
Actually, it is the first review from the real SOPOR player.
I believe, I should say something, but you said everything already.
Anyway, I think I'll keep your clear opinion in my mind when I continue develop SOPOR or start new game project.
If I continue or start.
Thank you!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I was quite intrigued when I saw this game on appzapps recent list, but after watching the gameplay footage I think I will pass.
It's a shame because the graphics, storyline, and all that look brilliant, but the level design is what is lacking.
I
If the level design was tweaked, I'd probably purchase it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPOR View Post
Hmm.
Great review, thank you.
Actually, it is the first review from the real SOPOR player.
I believe, I should say something, but you said everything already.
Anyway, I think I'll keep your clear opinion in my mind when I continue develop SOPOR or start new game project.
If I continue or start.
Thank you!
You're welcome. I hope my impressions didn't diminish your enthusiasm or resolve as an indie developer. As someone who plays more indies than any other games, I can only imagine how it must feel to see such impressions from your first non-press player. Honestly I think the framework and concept of playing as someone in a wheelchair and needing momentum rather than jumping is pretty great

But the lack of motivation for the sudden deaths and the fact that for the most part, they can't be avoided even if you suspect something is going to happen are major flaws. Let's look at Limbo and Badland again. In Badland, death and sacrifice becomes conditioned to the player as a mechanic, and the solution to avoiding or evading the traps are always evident. In Limbo, death is a learning experience, as it lets you see how the machinery and objects interact, and usually there are cues and hints of how to avoid or disable a trap, usually becoming plainly evident when you die, but also able to be deciphered without dying

Now in SOPOR, a typical segment will go: roll forward, see little marker that indicates something will be triggered, roll past it, maybe move it bit slower because you have no idea what to expec, and a platform falls from off screen or tips over from off screen without any warning, and then you die. Return to checkpoint. Perhaps if rather than an indistinct marker, you instead knocked down a support or broke a cable that lead off screen, the player would have more visual feedback that they caused something to happen and be able to infer what kind of hazard to expect.

I hope that you see these impressions as not just negative forum posts of some player, but as feedback to better your skills as an indie dev and make your next game that much more improved and refined. The very concept of SOPOR shows that you have talent and creativity and I'd hate to see those go to waste in the future. Hell, even if you eventually do a revamped version of SOPOR, I think that would be cool because the idea of being in a wheelchair, relying on momentum to manuever and traverse the levels, is a great one. Just that the execution on your first pass could be improved

Good luck with your future endeavors
Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

My English skills are not so good to say you "thanks" in the big beautiful post, but... I'm incredibly grateful for your huge and exact explanation. It's very helpful. You really show me my mistakes and now I see them. And I can fix them.
Your four paragraphs inspired me more than I expected.
Thank you.