Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Blue Skies Air Force Academy: Official Thread

Blue Skies Air Force Academy is now available in the App Store.

Blue Skies is a top down 2D shooter along the lines of Zone 66 or Desert Strike. Screenshots and videos are available at www.RockingPocketGames.com.

I'm the developer of the game and would like to thank everyone who has bought the game so far. I'd like to hear your comments, good or bad, and will be making some updates to the game based on what you would like.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGGuy View Post
Blue Skies Air Force Academy is now available in the App Store.

Blue Skies is a top down 2D shooter along the lines of Zone 66 or Desert Strike. Screenshots and videos are available at www.RockingPocketGames.com.

I'm the developer of the game and would like to thank everyone who has bought the game so far. I'd like to hear your comments, good or bad, and will be making some updates to the game based on what you would like.
Nice to see another developer active on the boards, thanks.

As for the game, it looks nice - but like many others, I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit. After spending $250+ on apps so far, seeing other $10 apps with either a high level of polish (Asphalt 4) or great replay value (Galcon) and even some great games for WELL under $10 (Dizzy Bee, deBlob, Moto Chaser, ToyBot Diaries, Texas Hold'Em, etc) I'm reluctant to spend $10 on this app - it just doesn't seem like a fair price compared to some of the other great games available. But that's just my opinion.

If you're unwilling to drop to the price a bit, you might consider offering future games at a substantial discount for at least the first 10,000 downloads, or a prescribed amount of time - it's a nice way to reward early adopters, it creates a sense of urgency with your customers, and it drives positive reviews right out of the gate. I for one would have been first in line if you had offered this game at, say, $5.99 for the first two days or something.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll be picking this one up whenever the price drops.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm quite enjoying it. The controls really make the game feel fun, it's really spot on. And how can you not enjoy a game that doesn't mention ninjas in helicopters and pirates in tanks?

You should consider making a Lite version so people can demo the game and see if they really want to spend $10 on it. I'd hate to see people pass it up just because they don't feel like it's worth the price.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM

It's way too expensive. These games should be offered at $5.99. I tend to play them two or three times and then remove them from my iPhone. There are too many games out there, and a low price will help you get noticed. Then you can charge a bit more ($7.99) for future games. However, I believe that developers should offer a discount initially to increase demand. The goal should be to make the top 25 list for as long as possible so that you get exposure.

Last edited by vandy1997; 09-03-2008 at 12:39 PM..
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM

I may make a demo, after a couple of updates are made. I've got some things that didn't make it into the initial release, plus some suggestions from other people.

I just quit my day job to make iphone games full time, so once I can afford to drop the price on this and future games I will
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Mavis hit it right on the nose. I'm very excited to play your game, I love the style. but It's hard to justify the price tag for all of the mentioned reasons.

and in my honest opinion, if you've quit your job to focus on games, you'd better do something drastic (like a promotional price) to get people interested in your game and your company. I really hope you aren't trying to make a mortgage payment off of one overpriced game which (according to you) isn't even finished. (more power to ya if you are...)

I give credit where credit is due, and I'm really not one to bicker about a few bucks if I believe in the product or person. but it's just the principle of the matter....

other developers are taking care of their customers with introductory prices, FAIR prices, HIGHLY polished games, Innovative gameplay/features, etc... and because of that I'll support them 100%

Just don't expect an overwhelming amount of support with that house payment if you're not willing to take care of the people playing your games.
(and let's face it, the whopping 11 reviews in the app store aren't exactly raving)

more people will buy it at a lower price (myself included). This will give you more credibility as a developer, and will only help your sales.

Follow the trends being set in the store. everybody else notices them, and we can wait as long as you can.....

P.S. I only rant because I have high hopes for this game, and you as a developer. I'd like to see you succeed, and I think that you could really create some buzz with your game if you decide to take the advice of the community. But Just like any business, you're gonna have to sacrifice a little if you want to see the big picture in the end.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM

What price do you think is suitable?

I do not have a mortgage to pay off, just my iphone bills lol. The price was based on what else is out there. For example Chopper is $8, which in my opinion less fun and not as much work went into it.

I do plan on updating the game with new content, and maybe give it a new paint job at some point, so hopefully once you buy it and finish the game you'll want to play it all the way through again when updates are made.

*Update* After reading the reviews on the US store all the people that have actually bought the game seem to love it. The only people complaining about the price are ones that haven't played the game.

Last edited by RPGGuy; 09-03-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Quote:

I do not have a mortgage to pay off, just my iphone bills lol. The price was based on what else is out there. For example Chopper is $8, which in my opinion less fun and not as much work went into it.

I do plan on updating the game with new content, and maybe give it a new paint job at some point, so hopefully once you buy it and finish the game you'll want to play it all the way through again when updates are made.

*Update* After reading the reviews on the US store all the people that have actually bought the game seem to love it. The only people complaining about the price are ones that haven't played the game.
I am interested in the game, but I'm hesitant to pay $10 for any game that doesn't offer a free demo. I bought Trism because of all the great reviews for it, yet found that I didn't like the game at all. That experience left a bad taste in my mouth and that game wasn't even $10. So, yeah, this game sounds good, the reviews are pretty good, etc, but I'm not going to buy it without a demo. A demo version will allow us to decide if the game is worth $10, rather then having it be a crap-shoot. I'll gamble on a $1 title that sounds interesting, or even a $5 title on occasion if it sounds right up my alley, but a $10 title has to have a demo.

IMHO, the AppStore should have been designed from the start with demos in mind. For one thing, we shouldn't have two listings for apps with demos - the demo should be available from the (single) app listing, and if you then buy the full version it should replace the demonstration version, all in one step. Oh well.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:

You seem intent on simply justifying your position, but since you asked a question, I'll answer: I think $5.99 is a fair price. While you're quick to point out the $8 Chopper (and hey, don't stop there - we've got lots of overpriced games to choose from: Tetris, Frogger, PacMan, etc) I would turn around and point out these great games: Dizzy Bee, deBlob, Moto Chaser, ToyBot Diaries, Texas Hold'Em. None of those cost $10, yet they all seem to share fairly high production value.

If you're happy with sales at $9.99, go ahead and keep the price where it is. But (as is obvious by reading this thread) if you want sales to be even more brisk, try dropping to something more reasonable.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

I think that iPhone game prices, as with anything, are based off of supply and demand. If you are making a good number of sales at $9.99 and you're happy where you are, then by all means keep the price point. If you aren't seeing the level of sales you'd hoped for, then drop the price to try and pick things up.

The same thing happens with full console and PC games. They come out at one price point and then slow reduce price to keep sales steady.

I think the only place you'd get into hot water, as we've seen with other devs already, is if you come out at one price point and then jack the price without notice. If you're going to start out at a lower price to boost initial sales, it's best to be as public about what you're doing as you can be.

Don't ask your customers how much we want to pay though, because we'll ALWAYS tell you it would be nice to pay less.