Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 AM
3Dave 3Dave is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis View Post
My opinion about "fair price" is based on a number of things: gameplay videos, screenshots, and $250 worth of experience with dozens of other apps priced from $0.99 to $23.99. And you know, I posted a question in the review post asking blakespot if he thought it was worth $9.99 but never saw a reply. So all I really have to go on are the things I've just listed.
You like to mention how much you've spent in the app store in a lot of your posts.

Really though, I tend to agree with your point. I've never driven a station wagon, and yet I know what a fair asking price for one would be, or at least know that $100K is too much money to spend on one!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 AM
mavis mavis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dave View Post
You like to mention how much you've spent in the app store in a lot of your posts.

Really though, I tend to agree with your point. I've never driven a station wagon, and yet I know what a fair asking price for one would be, or at least know that $100K is too much money to spend on one!
You're right, I mention it often. The reason is, I don't want people to think I'm just being cheap when I whine about overpriced games. I've spent a lot of money on apps and will continue to do so, if I feel they are reasonably priced.

Love the analogy about the station wagon, BTW. I was trying to think of something appropriate but that did the job well. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
ldkaplan ldkaplan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dave View Post
I've never driven a station wagon, and yet I know what a fair asking price for one would be, or at least know that $100K is too much money to spend on one!
That's because you've not driven a lambo-wagon.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
crunc crunc is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,990
Default

The argument that it's ridiculous that iPhone users with their big monthly bills would have an issue with a $10 game falls apart when you realize that there are a heck of a lot of us iPod Touch users out there who aren't paying ridiculous monthly fees. Of course, a lot of those iPhone users with their ridiculous monthly bills are probably so poor now that it's even more of an issue for them. But seriously, this argument is bogus to begin with. You could, perhaps, afford this game at $999, but that doesn't mean it's worth that price. Well, I suppose there's 5 people who would think it was worth it, given "I Am Rich" sales figures. ;^)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
vandy1997 vandy1997 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 292
Default

Frogger is now priced at $5.99 from $9.99. I bought this crappy game for $9.99 for nostalgic purposes and played it two or three times. Hopefully developers will learn that they can make a lot more if they price the apps more reasonably. I find that $9.99 is too much to pay for any app that is out there today. If developers drop to $7.99 or to $5.99, they will make more. The problem with having a high price at the outset is that people will start realizing that developers will have to drop the price of the $9.99 overpriced apps and they will wait until that time. So the developers will lose to all of those people who are waiting for the price drop. At the $9.99 price point, developers will also lose money to hackers who hack the game to provide it to others. This is a game, not a utility app. It's a game that I will play 10 times at most; and it's a game that I cannot sell or transfer to anybody else!! Additionally, there are tons of great games for free or for $0.99. A great game priced at $5.99 is still demanding $5 more for the developer's hard work. That price is justifiable to me. A premium of $9 is too much for me. There are way too many games coming out for me to be worried about the price of one game. As I said before, I will purchase it once I see an announcement that the price has dropped to $5.99. It's not because I'm cheap, because I have spent quite a bit on apps, but I am now purchasing only what I deem to be fairly priced. No more purchases of Frogger or Pacman at $9.99 for me.

With respect to arn's comment, I don't believe that any game app is worth $9.99, regardless of the fact that I have played it or not. And "fair price" is subjective; I respect arn as one of the creators of this site, but who is he to judge what somebody else deems to be a "fair price"? Fairness is relative. A question was asked, and a response was provided. To me, utility apps are worth much more than game apps because I use them to be more productive or they save me time and money. A game will never do that.

I'm not trying to be controversial here. I respect this developer and all developers, and I want them to succeed. The problem that I'm seeing with the App Store is that developers are seeing dollar signs because they are reading about people who are making $2,000 per day on apps, and now everybody wants to be a millionair in two years. The $2,000 per day will dwindle over time, and those who charge high prices will suffer because people will not purchase those apps. Those who get burned on purchasing apps at a high price will wait for a drop in price, and that drop will happen.

Edit: And I wouldn't purchase that Lambo wagon for $10. Maybe I would if I could purchase it and sell it immediately for a profit.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM
PHDGaming PHDGaming is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy1997 View Post
I'm not trying to be controversial here. I respect this developer and all developers, and I want them to succeed. The problem that I'm seeing with the App Store is that developers are seeing dollar signs because they are reading about people who are making $2,000 per day on apps, and now everybody wants to be a millionair in two years. The $2,000 per day will dwindle over time, and those who charge high prices will suffer because people will not purchase those apps. Those who get burned on purchasing apps at a high price will wait for a drop in price, and that drop will happen.
Only a few of the 650 games available make that much. My application, "Alien Invasion", has ranged from 39-80 in the list of top 100 paid games since its release 3 weeks ago (currently 46th), with a high position of 86th a few days ago for all paid applications (game or not). My statistics show 60-222 downloads a day despite its relatively generous position.

Hence..... the $2,000/day number is quite inflated as maybe only ~30 games make anything close to that. Heck - Mote-M and Radius are both better than my game at the same price ($0.99) but must be getting less than $70 a day (of course, I do think my game is definitely good and worth a try, but I am honest ).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
RPGGuy's Avatar
RPGGuy RPGGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 788
Default

I've reduced the price to $5.99 for Blue Skies. Don't know when it will be updated in the store...

I've also spent the night making new graphics for the terrain and doubled the texture size so it looking crisper Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
MattB MattB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 88
Default

I'm not going to argue price because it's too subjective to really count much. My financial situation may or may not be similar to anyone else's.

However, one way I look at it is even if a game isn't worth $9.99, it is worth that little extra just to support the developers we like and want to reward. There's been a few $9.99 games I regretted purchasing, but the ones I am glad I did (Blue Skies, Asphalt 4, Galcon, for example) are ones that I'm more than happy to reward and support the developers for a job well-done and to encourage them to continue making fun games.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
3Dave 3Dave is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
However, one way I look at it is even if a game isn't worth $9.99, it is worth that little extra just to support the developers we like and want to reward. There's been a few $9.99 games I regretted purchasing, but the ones I am glad I did (Blue Skies, Asphalt 4, Galcon, for example) are ones that I'm more than happy to reward and support the developers for a job well-done and to encourage them to continue making fun games.
This is something I agree with 100%, Matt. I would much rather support an independent Dev who obviously worked their tail off to create a solid game, instead of a large Dev who ported an old game and tried to cash in on the iPhone craze.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM
vandy1997 vandy1997 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 292
Default

@PHDGaming - I know that most apps are not making $2,000 per day. I am just saying that some devs may erroneously believe that they need to charge more in order to make big bucks. And that is not the case for most apps. Sometimes you end up making a lot more by charging less. By the way, I purchased Alien Invasion, and I enjoy it.

@MattB - I agree with you that we should support independent developers, and I will definitely purchase RPGGuy's app at $5.99. I just don't want to go broke by purchasing every independent developer's app - you know what I mean. I honestly think that RPGGuy will make a lot more with this app at $5.99.

@RPGGuy - I will be purchasing your app at $5.99. I wasn't trying to be a pain. I was being honest. And Konami and those big companies will learn their lesson when their overpriced games are making much less than their potential. I assume that arn, MattB and others will put in an excellent word on the price drop, as they should, and I hope to see your app at the top of the list! I look forward to your future apps!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent