Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default The Way Home - (by moWow)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Bleau; 07-30-2014 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: New trailer :)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Been following this game for a while. As a history buff and sci-fi fan, the premise was intriguing. And having played a few levels, I can say the game is pretty fun, but the true draw is the story.

Gameplay wise, it isn't the most complex or challenging title out there. You have icons to switch lanes on the right, and to activate power ups on the left. Your goal is to collect items to make the individuals in each level happy, while avoiding obstacles like walls and unhappy people. So while the gameplay does have a twitch element, it isn't exactly as frustrating or difficult as the other reflex twitchy games on IOS

But what I found to be most intriguing and compelling were the stories and vignettes. Told through cute graphics and short text, you'll follow the Quantum Leap-esque journey of Will as he finds himself thrust into events throughout history, from Tom Stratton and his sound barrier-shattering flight to more current events. The fact that the gameplay is anchored to these narratives provides a fun and entertaining drive to keep playing and see what happens next

As for IAP, you can purchase power ups and second winds, but I've found that both are unnecessary to enjoy the game or complete the levels I've played

Last edited by Bronxsta; 12-18-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Bronxsta. He's never the developer, but he always beats them to creating threads for their own games ). Thank you for creating the thread

We'll continue the discussion from the upcoming thread. Just wondering if it wouldn't be useful to also copy the list of proposed stories here.

Also, since we got approved by Apple on the first try, and it's Christmas... and review are good for time travel, we are giving away a $15 dollar iTunes voucher

We are working on the next update:
- better memory management
- some bugs and small glitches
- hardcore levels
- more polish (you can never have too much polish)

We are planning weekly update submissions, working over the holidays as well.

As always, looking forward to your feedback and impressions.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Bronxsta,

Those are some very nice things to say about The Way Home. Let me put it this way:

"Dude, are you serious? My wife doesn't say that about the game.... and she's biased" )

Can't wait for us to finish the other stories and send out the update. Curious question. You've said on many occasions that you are a game dev at heart. How would you... "evolve" the simple not so twitchy gameplay? (it wasn't really meant to be that twitchy)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Oh boy! I've been watching this one for a little while, definitely downloading this!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

A quick copy from our upcoming thread. Sometime at the end of January we will have published all the existing stories and start on the user recommended/suggested ones. Here's what awesome people (you know who you are) have suggested so far:
UPDATE: Below you can find all the suggestions of places/people/situations for William to "jump into". We'll update the list and will have a poll at some point after launch to decide what comes next!

Mike Nintendo
- John Lennon
- Joseph Stalin
- Guy Fawkes
- Ernest Hemingway
- Erwin Schrodinger
- Christopher Columbus
- James Cook
- Mozart or Bach
- Helping a poor and dying tribe by catching a mammoth to it fits in your game idea
- You should make some story about a game developer before a deadline

JCho133
- Stanley Kubrick
- Someone on the Titanic
- Batman +1 from The Connector

Lazer Kat
- Nikola Tesla

Sherlock EB
- Wright Brothers
- Abraham Lincoln
- A vampire
- Someone with terminal disease(I know it's not gaming material)

Bronxsta
- Pompeii
- Julius Caesar
- Thermopylae
- Apollo launch/lunar landing +1 votes from Nightc1
- WW2/Normandy invasion
- Rasputin
- Lewis & Clark
- Cortes/Aztecs
- 1893 World Fair
- Frontier/Settlers/Oregon Trail
- Napoleon
- Magellan
- Northwest Passage
- Shackleton
- The events around the Transcontinental Railway
- Leif Erikson - Viking that reached Newfoundland/New World
- The Alamo
- Something with Lawrence of Arabia
- Marco Polo's journeys

Last edited by Bleau; 01-22-2014 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Added awesome suggestions to the list, what else?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Speed menu on iPhone 4 IOS 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleau View Post
Bronxsta,

Those are some very nice things to say about The Way Home. Let me put it this way:

"Dude, are you serious? My wife doesn't say that about the game.... and she's biased" )

Can't wait for us to finish the other stories and send out the update. Curious question. You've said on many occasions that you are a game dev at heart. How would you... "evolve" the simple not so twitchy gameplay? (it wasn't really meant to be that twitchy)
Well one would be to increase the speed, which I assume the speed menu is for

But to add to the complexity, have the individuals and obstacles move, rather than remain static so while it would still maintain the core gameplay, would inject some split second reaction elements so you'd have to consider where a person or object would be before you reached them. That's all I could think of, speed and moving elements, but the game isn't meant to be twitchy so it's not really a fault. I was just thinking of a way to describe the gameplay

And might be too late, but rather than brick walls, obstacles could be more tied with the story. So take the first story for example. Instead of brick walls in a hangar/base, it could be handcarts and cargo containers.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Regarding the speed setting - http://youtu.be/_O4P2Kce0sE?t=26s :| - That was not supposed to be there. Will go out with the update.

The speed increases with each object you collect. It's similar to space invaders: the more enemies you hit, the faster they start coming towards you.

Your feedback goes in line with what we had in mind. We left the walls alone because art takes a hevty amount of time and it was a necessary compromise.

But, they are not hard to change. Just takes time to draw

Last edited by Bleau; 12-18-2013 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: added some explanations
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Awesome that this is finally out! Had a good time beta testing this!

As Bronxsta stated before, the big draw here is the story. Maybe I'm just weird, but the one with the jet pilot got my heart pounding haha.

The gameplay is fast paced, I'd put it on the level more with Don't Shoot Yourself than with Duet or Super Hexagon.

I really enjoy it and it has an awesome story so I recommend you pick it up, it's free after all!

Edit: I literally just posted an AppStore review before posting on this thread and I saw the $15 iTunes voucher, cool!

Also, would a Batman story be possible? Hehe.
Or someone on the Titanic

Last edited by JCho133; 12-18-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

@JCho133 Thanks for the review. Wild nickname ) I'll have to double check when typing it. How do friends even find you on Game Center? One typo and that's it )