★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Slitherine's Legion (ipad) $9.99 > $4.99

12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Slitherine's Legion (ipad) $9.99 > $4.99

02-24-2014, 01:42 PM
This is finally back on sale.
02-24-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm very curious of Slitherine's games.
This one looks good, but the review was not that enthusiastic
saying it was, as a PC port, not very touchscreeny.
Anyone played it?
02-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsark View Post
I'm very curious of Slitherine's games.
This one looks good, but the review was not that enthusiastic
saying it was, as a PC port, not very touchscreeny.
Anyone played it?
I've been playing for about an hour and, yes, it's the PC port of a game from 2001, I think that's correct year. I suppose that it's not very touchscreeny but it a good game so I'm not sure why anybody would care.

Essentially you conquer cities. Cities have so many slots for,building, which you build, upgrade, destroy and rebuild as you see fit. Most building either gather resources (farms, mines...), relate to your military strength (forts, recruitment structures, training grounds...) or improve city efficiency (town halls, shrines, bath houses...).

Armies are the biggest focus, though mitigating the number of enemies you have through diplomacy is a component. Basically, armies fight. In battle you arrange your men in the field (placing their troop block on a open map), set their individual formations (block, wedge, inverted circle, open rank, closed ranks...) and set their order (wait then advance, rapid advance, advance the wait...). You do not directly control battles, this is not Total War, you direct the pre-battle plans akin to Dominions on PC or Mini-Warriors on iOS, only this isn't freemium garbage.

Personally I think everything works great but that said, it's a PC title. There can be a lot of cities to manage and armies to oversee. I enjoy the fact that I can play any faction on a map (Romans, Picts, hillmen....), I love the actaul battle system and I love that it's a map-painting game.
02-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherunhinged View Post
I've been playing for about an hour and, yes, it's the PC port of a game from 2001, I think that's correct year. I suppose that it's not very touchscreeny but it a good game so I'm not sure why anybody would care.

Essentially you conquer cities. Cities have so many slots for,building, which you build, upgrade, destroy and rebuild as you see fit. Most building either gather resources (farms, mines...), relate to your military strength (forts, recruitment structures, training grounds...) or improve city efficiency (town halls, shrines, bath houses...).

Armies are the biggest focus, though mitigating the number of enemies you have through diplomacy is a component. Basically, armies fight. In battle you arrange your men in the field (placing their troop block on a open map), set their individual formations (block, wedge, inverted circle, open rank, closed ranks...) and set their order (wait then advance, rapid advance, advance the wait...). You do not directly control battles, this is not Total War, you direct the pre-battle plans akin to Dominions on PC or Mini-Warriors on iOS, only this isn't freemium garbage.

Personally I think everything works great but that said, it's a PC title. There can be a lot of cities to manage and armies to oversee. I enjoy the fact that I can play any faction on a map (Romans, Picts, hillmen....), I love the actaul battle system and I love that it's a map-painting game.
Thks a lot for your very detailed answer mate

That's why you gotta love TA community