★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Classic games that would PWN the iPhone

08-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Classic games that would PWN the iPhone

Here are games that have stood the test of time. Any copyright holders should get off their butts and get these games on the iPhone, NOW! Any developers should be talking to these copyright holders and offer them some sort of deal. Why risk an unkown game idea when there are SO many champion titles out there that aren't on the iPhone? If there are no plans to port them, who would turn down free money for it to be ported for them? Check them out on wikipedia and raise the standard of iPhone gaming forever.

StarControl2/UrQuan Masters - possibly the best game of all time and already freeware
Autoduel (best Car Wars game ever - based on Steve Jackson's rules)
Pool of Radiance
Ultima series? (I mean, come on)
Eye of the Beholder
Alternate Reality: The City, The Dungeon (finish the series that never got finished! Mid 1980's games that rock!)
Cyber Empires
Warlords series
Might and Magic series (at least some of the earlier ones)

All of these games are mega fun well beyond their technical limitations and decades after their releases. Each have excellent gameplay (something forgotten in most of today's games) and they all played fine on nothing more than an intel 386, so many should be easy ports or even susceptible to some upgrades if the dev resources are available. Even without changing anything in these games, however, each are proven hits that would dominate the games currently on the iPhone.

In fact, I downloaded UrQuan Masters (the freeware version of StarControl2) and played it on my PC a couple years ago. When I can enjoy a game written in 1992 on the same hard drive as Crysis, the latest HalfLife 2 episode and NeverWinter Nights 2, you KNOW they did something right.
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
MULE was a great game and I would guess that EA still holds the rights to that game.

Dan Bunten was the designer/programmer/creator of MULE. He was a nice, very down to earth, talented person. Sadly he died of lung cancer about a decade or so ago.

Kevin Ryan
Top Meadow Inc.
Hunter Sub -- Buggle -- Balls Away!
Follow me on Twitter

08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Any of the old side scrolling fighters would be awesome, especially with 4 player wifi. Games like:

TMNT - Turtles in Time
The old Simpsons arcade
Final Fight

Yeah arcade brawlers!
08-07-2009, 12:11 PM
definately either warlords 1 or 2. 3 was ok too.

Games I'm Playing: Doom Classic, Red Conquest!, Battle for Wesnoth, Land Air Sea Warfare (my favorite rts, buy it today!)
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I want to know why Paperboy isn't out...wouldn't that be perfect with accelerometer controls, and swipe to throw your papers?

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Remembered a couple more:

Dungeon Master
Mail Order Monsters
08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Starship Titanic - it was a game written by Douglas Adams (he wrote the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy) and developed by the digital village. Its an adventure game (think Monkey island) with all the same wit, insane characters and nutty sci-fi themes for any fan of hitch-hikers. It even features the voice acting talents of JOHN CLEESE!
Here's the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
08-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
This is not Windows, this is Apple, dude
08-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Jet Set Willy:

...and to go with the N64 puzzlers theme, Wetrix:

(picture is actually Wetrix 2)
08-07-2009, 04:31 PM