★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New App Store Layout...Finally

12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
New App Store Layout...Finally

Hey guys,

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the new App Store layout, with the Top Paid/Free Apps in each category now. I quite like the look of it, and it seems to make a lot more sense than by default showing the Apps by release. I'm also wondering what's the difference between how it orders 'Most Popular' and 'Top Paid/Free' as it seems I get completely different results for each.

Also, worth knowing is that it seems like only the Primary category for an App displays it in these new 'Top' lists, so you can't for example be in both the 'Top Entertainment' and the 'Top Strategy Games' or whatever.

Anyway, at least Apple are listening and making steps to make the App Store a better place for both developers and consumers.
12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
Didn't noticed until now

now maybe they must "filter" the categories better i'm looking into adventure right now, seeing Flick fishing, nanosaur, armado, bugdom 2 and such into the top 20 is weird since none of them are adventure games...

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!

12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Noticed it but realized you have to click on each category would be nice to see the whole iTunes Store layout improved. Having a tab system would be nice much cleaner and easier to navigate.
12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
is there a way to look at all games ordered but release date? everytime i try i can only suss out looking at particular genres or the "new list" which doesn't always feature the newest releases anyway.

could be that i'm being dumb
12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
A small step in the right direction. Nice to see them tweaking the store at all.
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
it's still BS because games that release updates are put into the New Releases section, which doesn't make any sense.. so we get all the Bootant games showing up like they're brand new

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Cool, I like it... Now add these categories to the device and somehow do the same thing there!!!

Quote:
A small step in the right direction.
Exactly!

>>>>>> All-In Poker Rocks!<<<<<<
Visit Birdsoft for great iOS apps and games. Follow our Twitter.
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
it's still BS because games that release updates are put into the New Releases section, which doesn't make any sense.. so we get all the Bootant games showing up like they're brand new
I like to know about updated even if I don't own the game.

The right thing however you'd be an "just updated" section or maybe a filter.

But what makes me wondering is that "NEW" means the day that the developer submitted the game not the day it was approved. It makes the "NEW" section just crazy...
12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Aha!! So that's why we were all struggling with iTunes store speeds- they were changing it. Yep, an improvement.
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
much better

having top paid and top free for each category is so much easier to find the games i want. They should keep applying that kind of functions as there are so many games out now