The Light Box - Too hard, too easy?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Destined, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    #1 Destined, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

http://youtu.be/lBO90eSg1II

I made a little puzzle game prototype over xmas period and looking for some thoughts on if it is too hard or where I should go with it (if anywhere)

2. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Well, I think you really got something there. I don't really play puzzle games and I've never designed any, so I don't really know what you could add to the gameplay.

I do want to say that I think it looks cool. I'd really like to get my hands on it and move that cube around. I've never seen something quite like that.

It doesn't look too hard. The real test will be getting your friends to play it.

You will have to add some other gameplay mechanics I suppose, but I think you have the core of a good game.

Good luck!

3. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to watch.

I have a few different ways of setting it up to change the gameplay but I don't want to make tons of variations if nobody is going to play it.

One of the girls I work with solved it on a full shuffle while another couple of friends gave up before finishing because it was hard but did try for a 100 or so moves before giving up.

I actually want to make a physical version of the cube using arduino.

4. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I like the look and feel of it. I think it has the potential of being pretty difficult. I mean, even the 2d versions of this mechanic get pretty tough. If you start playing around without a clear plan, you can get almost hopelessly stuck. But I think the trick is to keep the necessary move count low so that it will never require but a handful of moves to reach the solution from the starting point.

As Wizardo said, adding additional mechanics can allow for some nice variety. It can also help keep things increasing in difficulty without necessarily increasing in move count, because it would require the player to think in new ways.

A game that did that well and seems somewhat similar to this prototype is English Country Tune. It might have a bit more variety than you would need, but I like how it always stayed fresh by adding new elements and mechanics, and moved on from a mechanic just before it got overly complicated (for the most part).

You could add different 3d shapes (like two smaller boxes connected diagonally on one edge), tiles that cause some sort of chain reaction, tiles that can change to to multiple colors, etc. You could have levels where you move a piece across the tiles, activating the tiles around it as you move. Just some random ideas.

Point is, I think you have something solid there, and could be really great with some finesse. I'd play it for sure.

5. bw1024

bw1024 Member

I don't really play puzzle games much either, but it looks quite interesting.

By a full shuffle, do you mean just applying a whole heap of random button presses, then the player essentially has to figure out how to reverse them? You could increase the difficulty level by applying more and more random presses.

A physical device sounds pretty cool. Perhaps you could randomise it by shaking it?

6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Thank you for the comments they are very interesting!

English Country tune has a totally awesome graphical styling. I have seen a few games in that style but they have really pushed the envelope and have some good twists.

I was planning to add some different shape cubes, like a mini cube which would be 2 by 2 and mega which would be 4 by 4.

I had planned 5 preplanned levels which only needed a few moves + random shuffle for each shape. But maybe I need more than 5. I have a couple which you can finish in 2 or 3 moves if you do it correctly but my testing with family has shown that nobody could do it in that number.

Also I plan to release for free, ad supported no IAP. The ads will sit over the top and never obscure the interface or game in any way. I just want people to play my games!

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    That is what I mean by full shuffle. It gets to a point pretty quickly where more presses doesn't make it harder because it already shuffled enough because you don't have to reverse the shuffle to solve it because there could be easier ways.

Building a physical prototype while I think I could do it I am not sure it would be sturdy enough to handle shaking plus then I would have to put a gyroscope into it. I was just planning to use capacitance style buttons to create touch surfaces for each box and an LED under it to switch on and off. Then use an Arduino as the brains of it. I am not an electronics expert but know a little :)

8. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    It looks way too difficult. You might get a niche audience for playing this type of game, but for the mass market, you won't be able to sell it too them. Good luck.

JC

9. Hollance

Hollance New Member

Lights Out in 3D. :)

The 2D version of this game did quite well on the iOS App Store a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first games on the store if I remember correctly.

A 3D version could work but you might want to introduce the 3D aspect slowly, i.e. first do it on a single face. In the next level, add another face and allow players to rotate (but not yet 360 degrees). In the 3rd level, add a 3rd face, and so on until you end up with the final cube.

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I am hoping it will be simple enough to at least have a decent market. It obviously doesn't have the mass appeal of angry birds or candy crush but I think it offers a challenge to people who like the puzzle genre.

There are a few 2D ones and I found them fairly fun to play which is why I decided to try make it in 3D.

I am not sure how just having part of the cube would work since overlapping the sides is the key game mechanic which makes it different to the original games with this mechanic.

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013

I made a new video to show new features/game types. What do you guys think?

12. Hollance

Hollance New Member

I'd say go for it. Hardcore puzzle games may not have the same audience as casual puzzlers like Candy Crush, but there are still plenty of people who enjoy such games. Blueprint 3D, for example, appears to have done quite well.

However, you do need to execute at the same level. Your prototype doesn't look very appealing. So if you're going to turn this into a real game, adding great graphics and cool animations is a must.

13. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    #13 Hobbsicle, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    I like the graphics myself, but it could use a little extra visual flair somehow. Maybe the lights fading on instead of just appearing on. Or some more glow to the lit squares.

I really like the 2-phase mechanic, although it doesn't help with the difficulty problem much, I guess. I'm not crazy about the look of the dimmer squares. I wonder if a pale blue would look better than just a lowered opacity. Not sure.

The other thing I would say is that, if I were releasing it, I would put in a lot more pre-made levels. For someone who is less of a hardcore puzzle enthusiast, they would probably feel a bit intimidated by just a few levels before throwing them into the wild of random shuffle. Consider maybe grouping some puzzles in terms of move count. Starting with some puzzles that can be solved in two moves can help players adjust to the idea of the mechanic, then a group of 3-move puzzles, 4-move, etc. Just something that makes the player feel like they're really advancing and learning the logic before having to go to full shuffle. It could also help people feel that there is a lot of content to the game. Just a thought.

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    My level of skill with graphics probably prevents me from going much further on that front. I actually like my minimal view although I worry I won't be able to make enough interesting screen shots of the game.

I am going to make a tutorial today and then submit to the store so people can play and I can judge how well it is going.

I am not crazy about the dimmer squares as I worry they are too hard to quickly see although if you look for a second they are obvious.

I have 20 premade levels + the 4 shuffle levels. The shuffle levels are for when you finish the 5 levels of that type. You have to complete the 5 levels before you unlock the shuffle level. I will add some analytics to see how far people are playing and if they are finishing all 20 I will make more. The easiest puzzles can be solves in 2 or 3 moves although not immediately obvious. Even the hardest can be solved in 10 with the majority in the 5-6 moves region.

I have an idea with colour for another game mode so I am saving that for if people like the mechanic and want more.

15. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    How important do you guys view music? I was about to press submit without music but wasn't sure.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
  17. bw1024

bw1024 Member

#17 bw1024, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Icon looks awfully grey. Maybe add some bright colour to the background? Or perhaps increase the contrast or something?

It just occurred to me that with a name like "The Light Box", you should make the lights really pop out. Perhaps saturate them a lot more and add some glow? Perhaps the aim of the game should be to light the lights rather than extinguish them?

With regards to music, I think if you can get a nice catchy tune in the background it can add to the ambience quite nicely. Of course you need to get the right tune, and have it only play if there isn't already music playing.

18. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes I realise it kind of has a dark minimal look overall. I guess I gravitate towards that look rather than the colourful look. I am not sure I am capable of making super bright and happy!

I think I should make the icon brighter and that is a pretty fair critique and I will probably do that in an update but I have submitted to app store yesterday and just want to get it out so people can play.

I also thought that switching off was the reverse of the human way of wanting to switch things on. I like that dynamic, although I am not sure others will agree. I have been trying to figure if I am an idiot for doing this!

Part of the reason I picked The Light Box as he name was it is easy to remember and when I searched the store for it there wasn't really anything with a similar name.

I am pretty happy with less than a week part time development to get to a released product and will post my success (or failure) with it.

19. bw1024

bw1024 Member

I quite like the look too. One easy way to make the lights look better is to turn off lighting when you draw the lit squares. For example, in your youtube video, when one face rotates into the darkness, the lit squares should still appear bright.

Hehe. I also prefer the switching off, seems more environmentally friendly or something :) It's questions like this (as in what is more popular) that would be nice to try split testing or something with.

20. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    OMG I am so dumb. That is so obvious.

Guess I am making an update right now, I will still leave the current version to be approved by Apple since it has been with them almost a week now.

I am actually pretty happy with the game now. I have been showing people and it is easy enough to play people don't want to give me my iPad back.