Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default The Light Box - Too hard, too easy?

Youtube link | Pop Up

http://youtu.be/lBO90eSg1II

I made a little puzzle game prototype over xmas period and looking for some thoughts on if it is too hard or where I should go with it (if anywhere)

Last edited by Destined; 12-26-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Well, I think you really got something there. I don't really play puzzle games and I've never designed any, so I don't really know what you could add to the gameplay.

I do want to say that I think it looks cool. I'd really like to get my hands on it and move that cube around. I've never seen something quite like that.

It doesn't look too hard. The real test will be getting your friends to play it.

You will have to add some other gameplay mechanics I suppose, but I think you have the core of a good game.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardo View Post
Well, I think you really got something there. I don't really play puzzle games and I've never designed any, so I don't really know what you could add to the gameplay.

I do want to say that I think it looks cool. I'd really like to get my hands on it and move that cube around. I've never seen something quite like that.

It doesn't look too hard. The real test will be getting your friends to play it.

You will have to add some other gameplay mechanics I suppose, but I think you have the core of a good game.

Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to watch.

I have a few different ways of setting it up to change the gameplay but I don't want to make tons of variations if nobody is going to play it.

One of the girls I work with solved it on a full shuffle while another couple of friends gave up before finishing because it was hard but did try for a 100 or so moves before giving up.

I actually want to make a physical version of the cube using arduino.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS

I like the look and feel of it. I think it has the potential of being pretty difficult. I mean, even the 2d versions of this mechanic get pretty tough. If you start playing around without a clear plan, you can get almost hopelessly stuck. But I think the trick is to keep the necessary move count low so that it will never require but a handful of moves to reach the solution from the starting point.

As Wizardo said, adding additional mechanics can allow for some nice variety. It can also help keep things increasing in difficulty without necessarily increasing in move count, because it would require the player to think in new ways.

A game that did that well and seems somewhat similar to this prototype is English Country Tune. It might have a bit more variety than you would need, but I like how it always stayed fresh by adding new elements and mechanics, and moved on from a mechanic just before it got overly complicated (for the most part).

You could add different 3d shapes (like two smaller boxes connected diagonally on one edge), tiles that cause some sort of chain reaction, tiles that can change to to multiple colors, etc. You could have levels where you move a piece across the tiles, activating the tiles around it as you move. Just some random ideas.

Point is, I think you have something solid there, and could be really great with some finesse. I'd play it for sure.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I don't really play puzzle games much either, but it looks quite interesting.

By a full shuffle, do you mean just applying a whole heap of random button presses, then the player essentially has to figure out how to reverse them? You could increase the difficulty level by applying more and more random presses.

A physical device sounds pretty cool. Perhaps you could randomise it by shaking it?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbsicle View Post
I like the look and feel of it. I think it has the potential of being pretty difficult. I mean, even the 2d versions of this mechanic get pretty tough. If you start playing around without a clear plan, you can get almost hopelessly stuck. But I think the trick is to keep the necessary move count low so that it will never require but a handful of moves to reach the solution from the starting point.

As Wizardo said, adding additional mechanics can allow for some nice variety. It can also help keep things increasing in difficulty without necessarily increasing in move count, because it would require the player to think in new ways.

A game that did that well and seems somewhat similar to this prototype is English Country Tune. It might have a bit more variety than you would need, but I like how it always stayed fresh by adding new elements and mechanics, and moved on from a mechanic just before it got overly complicated (for the most part).

You could add different 3d shapes (like two smaller boxes connected diagonally on one edge), tiles that cause some sort of chain reaction, tiles that can change to to multiple colors, etc. You could have levels where you move a piece across the tiles, activating the tiles around it as you move. Just some random ideas.

Point is, I think you have something solid there, and could be really great with some finesse. I'd play it for sure.
Thank you for the comments they are very interesting!

English Country tune has a totally awesome graphical styling. I have seen a few games in that style but they have really pushed the envelope and have some good twists.

I was planning to add some different shape cubes, like a mini cube which would be 2 by 2 and mega which would be 4 by 4.

I had planned 5 preplanned levels which only needed a few moves + random shuffle for each shape. But maybe I need more than 5. I have a couple which you can finish in 2 or 3 moves if you do it correctly but my testing with family has shown that nobody could do it in that number.

Also I plan to release for free, ad supported no IAP. The ads will sit over the top and never obscure the interface or game in any way. I just want people to play my games!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw1024 View Post
I don't really play puzzle games much either, but it looks quite interesting.

By a full shuffle, do you mean just applying a whole heap of random button presses, then the player essentially has to figure out how to reverse them? You could increase the difficulty level by applying more and more random presses.

A physical device sounds pretty cool. Perhaps you could randomise it by shaking it?
That is what I mean by full shuffle. It gets to a point pretty quickly where more presses doesn't make it harder because it already shuffled enough because you don't have to reverse the shuffle to solve it because there could be easier ways.

Building a physical prototype while I think I could do it I am not sure it would be sturdy enough to handle shaking plus then I would have to put a gyroscope into it. I was just planning to use capacitance style buttons to create touch surfaces for each box and an LED under it to switch on and off. Then use an Arduino as the brains of it. I am not an electronics expert but know a little
Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

It looks way too difficult. You might get a niche audience for playing this type of game, but for the mass market, you won't be able to sell it too them. Good luck.

JC
Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Lights Out in 3D. :-)

The 2D version of this game did quite well on the iOS App Store a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first games on the store if I remember correctly.

A 3D version could work but you might want to introduce the 3D aspect slowly, i.e. first do it on a single face. In the next level, add another face and allow players to rotate (but not yet 360 degrees). In the 3rd level, add a 3rd face, and so on until you end up with the final cube.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
It looks way too difficult. You might get a niche audience for playing this type of game, but for the mass market, you won't be able to sell it too them. Good luck.

JC
I am hoping it will be simple enough to at least have a decent market. It obviously doesn't have the mass appeal of angry birds or candy crush but I think it offers a challenge to people who like the puzzle genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollance View Post
Lights Out in 3D. :-)

The 2D version of this game did quite well on the iOS App Store a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first games on the store if I remember correctly.

A 3D version could work but you might want to introduce the 3D aspect slowly, i.e. first do it on a single face. In the next level, add another face and allow players to rotate (but not yet 360 degrees). In the 3rd level, add a 3rd face, and so on until you end up with the final cube.
There are a few 2D ones and I found them fairly fun to play which is why I decided to try make it in 3D.

I am not sure how just having part of the cube would work since overlapping the sides is the key game mechanic which makes it different to the original games with this mechanic.