Support our Sponsors:

Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Best 4x game?

I'm interested in getting a 4X game but I want one that's not too overcomplicated, (my medications keep me from being able to keep a huge amount of info in my head at once).
What is the best of the 4x games on iPad, and would also be least likely to be too confusing for a total noob?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Do you mean 2x iphone only games?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Do you mean multiplayer on same device?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

No, the OP means 4X games - "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

Have you looked at Starbase Orion? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?mt=8
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The main two I keep seeing, and that keep tempting me, are Alien Tribe 2 and Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy.
Eclipse looks good but I'm wondering if it'll give me a case of brain lock. I used to be able to play chess and think four or five moves ahead, but now I'm lucky to be able to think one or two ahead.
It's also possible the 4X genre isn't anywhere near as complex as I think they are and I'm just psyching myself out.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Eclipse is very good. Haven't played Alien Tribe 2 as it's RTS but with the current $2.99 sale price I may give it a shot. I repeat my recommendation for Starbase Orion though. It's based on the classic Masters of Orion 2.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'd avoid Eclipse, it's a nightmare to understand. I bought it 5-6 months ago and STILL don't understand how to play.

I would recommend you check out Alien Tribes 2, Starbase Orion, Ascendancy and Distant Star on you tube and see which appeals to you.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Vincere Totus Astrum is an easy pick up and play without the learning curve. Very immersive and easy to spend hours on without realizing it, and a good segway into the genre.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Distant star used to be incredible but for some reason they took out the multiple races and some other stuff and now it's just not the same
Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I have both Starbase Orion and Ascendancy, and think the latter is easier to play in terms of information needed (e.g. smaller tech tree), but requires more micromanagement: you build individual buildings on your planets, and some are huge (e.g. having 20 factories plus other stuff).
For a realtime 4x with the best building AI I know try Imperium Galactica 2: It is also the only one I know on iOS with actual story, campaign and scenarios.

For later, there is an upcoming spiritual successor to Master of Magic (Orion in Fantasyland, fantastic game. If you have a PC, go find it; quite sure it is on Abandonia.com). Ah ja, here you go: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=185379

In any case, best of luck in finding something that suits you!

P.S.: Looked at Ecplise on the Appstore: yikes! Completely incomprehensible from the screenshots, and I play 4x all the way back to the first Master of Orion and before.
Vincere Totus Astrum I'll give a shot, on the other hand.