Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Endless Nights by Nations Software

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/endless-nights-rpg/id779713007?mt=8

Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Roguelike and a tried and tested dev. Definitely picking this up!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Looking forward to some impressions!

This looks a lot like endless depths (also a roguelike). It's extremely similar. Any relation at all?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Looking forward to some impressions!

This looks a lot like endless depths (also a roguelike). It's extremely similar. Any relation at all?
It's the same dev, which is why I'm fairly confident about purchasing it. Could do with fewer spelling mistakes though, but as long as the game is good I'll ignore them :P
Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I like the sound of the permanence system, I'll pick this up especially for the asking price.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:54 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
It's the same dev, which is why I'm fairly confident about purchasing it. Could do with fewer spelling mistakes though, but as long as the game is good I'll ignore them :P
Ahh.. The dev must have changed his name at one point. Endless Depths was initially created by "Whatenar software". That's why I was a bit confused. I mean, now that I think of it, with the style being almost the same and the game having the same "endless" prefix it's pretty obvious anyways

In any case, it's enough confirmation for me to grab it up since I really like endless depths. I'll post impressions after a few hours of gameplay.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Ahh.. The dev must have changed his name at one point. Endless Depths was initially created by "Whatenar software". That's why I was a bit confused. I mean, now that I think of it, with the style being almost the same and the game having the same "endless" prefix it's pretty obvious anyways

In any case, it's enough confirmation for me to grab it up since I really like endless depths. I'll post impressions after a few hours of gameplay.
In the world of the AppStore, a similar name and design doesn't always mean the same developer so I can understand your confusion!

Picked it up as well, I'm a sucker for roguelikes so I'll also be leaving impressions
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

There's some promise to this rogue like but it seems like it needs a bit of work still. No high scores seem to be saved (or at least they don't show up in the high score table). I entered a forest area which had green grass for the main floor tiles and then when I went back to previous areas all of the floor tiles were changed to the grass tile instead of what they were previously. I like the concept of the permanence system but you I haven't figured out what actually passes on to my character when choosing the Lucky option for permanence.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I definitely agree that it needs some work unfortunately. I won't be the one to criticise the art style - for one, I like it. Secondly, it's there for all to see before you buy it. It's surprisingly ok on the iPad and the genre comes with certain acceptations about barebones, simplistic visuals.
I do find it a little hard to accept an archaic UI though. My nostalgic memories tend to glaze over how frustrating, slow and vague old menu systems could be but I see no reason to try to recreate that in a modern game! Everything could be simplified down to one or two options and little things like having to leave the buying interface, take a step back, step forward and then choose sell at the very same merchant just seems a little thoughtless. Not to mention the fact that you are moved on to the next area regardless of whether you choose Yes or No...

The game takes a surprisingly long time to load in the world, after a couple of minutes and without any swirling indicator I was convinced it had crashed. I was pretty surprised to encounter some rather debilitating lag in such a simple game as well, especially as the "world" is split into very small chunks. There's very little direction, which is normally a given in the genre, but if you don't notice the town to the North and suit up from the merchants then you are pretty much guaranteed to die on your first few encounters.

There are some nice touches though, the skill system is interesting and it has all the trappings of roguelikes that I love - monster variety, loot, difficulty. But it feels like a little of the soul is missing. There's little point in exploring as most of the maze-like corridors are incredibly short deadends. All in all, it feels more like a step back from Endless Depths for me
Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the impressions, Pete. I was disappointed when you said it felt like a step back from endless depths. I'm gonna hold off and see what happens. I was hoping it would be a more polished and expanded game, seems like the potential might be there after some patches.