★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Endless Nights is a role-playing game in the rogue-like tradition, which means randomized adventure areas, random dungeons and a different adventure each time you play the game. The TitanFire RPG system used in the game provides for strategic combat by putting an emphasis on defense and on developing strategies to break through the defenses of your opponent during combat.

Endless Nights lets you play **your** way, with a skills-based system that recognizes the actions of your character in the game and develops those skills. This means you can choose to use a sword, or a mace, use magic or pray to the gods, and you never need worry about picking a class and no visiting trainers to 'learn' new skills.

A tweak to the rogue-like style is the Profile system, which allows for a certain amount of permanence with the inclusion of profiles that allow you to carry over some gold or gems to a new character.

Endless Nights Features:

* A rogue-like RPG with random quests, random dungeons and a new adventure each time you play.
* Over 100 different abilities to learn in the skills-based system.
* Strategic turn-based combat.
* Profiles let you choose a different way to play the game.
* Themed monster areas will have you clearing woods of spiders and taking out a group of kobolds.
* A crafting system that includes magical manastones that can be found or rewarded by quests.

Endless Nights is similar to RPG classics like Rogue, Moria, Omega, Angband and Diablo with a level of challenge similar to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

A sequel to Endless Depths, the game takes the fun out of the dungeon and into overland areas, providing random quests to go along with the goodness.

Note: The public domain tilesets used in Endless Nights come from the RLTiles collection. Some of the sounds used come from www.freesfx.co.uk, including sounds by qudobup, and the font used for the Endless Nights logo was created by fontmesa at fontspace.com.

PeteOzzy's comments:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/endless-nights-rpg/id779713007?mt=8

12-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Roguelike and a tried and tested dev. Definitely picking this up!

12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Looking forward to some impressions!

This looks a lot like endless depths (also a roguelike). It's extremely similar. Any relation at all?

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Warhammer: Quest | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Tallowmere | Sproggiwood | Alchemic Dungeons
12-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Looking forward to some impressions!

This looks a lot like endless depths (also a roguelike). It's extremely similar. Any relation at all?
It's the same dev, which is why I'm fairly confident about purchasing it. Could do with fewer spelling mistakes though, but as long as the game is good I'll ignore them :P
12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
I like the sound of the permanence system, I'll pick this up especially for the asking price.
12-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
It's the same dev, which is why I'm fairly confident about purchasing it. Could do with fewer spelling mistakes though, but as long as the game is good I'll ignore them :P
Ahh.. The dev must have changed his name at one point. Endless Depths was initially created by "Whatenar software". That's why I was a bit confused. I mean, now that I think of it, with the style being almost the same and the game having the same "endless" prefix it's pretty obvious anyways

In any case, it's enough confirmation for me to grab it up since I really like endless depths. I'll post impressions after a few hours of gameplay.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Warhammer: Quest | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
12-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Ahh.. The dev must have changed his name at one point. Endless Depths was initially created by "Whatenar software". That's why I was a bit confused. I mean, now that I think of it, with the style being almost the same and the game having the same "endless" prefix it's pretty obvious anyways

In any case, it's enough confirmation for me to grab it up since I really like endless depths. I'll post impressions after a few hours of gameplay.
In the world of the AppStore, a similar name and design doesn't always mean the same developer so I can understand your confusion!

Picked it up as well, I'm a sucker for roguelikes so I'll also be leaving impressions
12-31-2013, 08:49 AM
There's some promise to this rogue like but it seems like it needs a bit of work still. No high scores seem to be saved (or at least they don't show up in the high score table). I entered a forest area which had green grass for the main floor tiles and then when I went back to previous areas all of the floor tiles were changed to the grass tile instead of what they were previously. I like the concept of the permanence system but you I haven't figured out what actually passes on to my character when choosing the Lucky option for permanence.
12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
I definitely agree that it needs some work unfortunately. I won't be the one to criticise the art style - for one, I like it. Secondly, it's there for all to see before you buy it. It's surprisingly ok on the iPad and the genre comes with certain acceptations about barebones, simplistic visuals.
I do find it a little hard to accept an archaic UI though. My nostalgic memories tend to glaze over how frustrating, slow and vague old menu systems could be but I see no reason to try to recreate that in a modern game! Everything could be simplified down to one or two options and little things like having to leave the buying interface, take a step back, step forward and then choose sell at the very same merchant just seems a little thoughtless. Not to mention the fact that you are moved on to the next area regardless of whether you choose Yes or No...

The game takes a surprisingly long time to load in the world, after a couple of minutes and without any swirling indicator I was convinced it had crashed. I was pretty surprised to encounter some rather debilitating lag in such a simple game as well, especially as the "world" is split into very small chunks. There's very little direction, which is normally a given in the genre, but if you don't notice the town to the North and suit up from the merchants then you are pretty much guaranteed to die on your first few encounters.

There are some nice touches though, the skill system is interesting and it has all the trappings of roguelikes that I love - monster variety, loot, difficulty. But it feels like a little of the soul is missing. There's little point in exploring as most of the maze-like corridors are incredibly short deadends. All in all, it feels more like a step back from Endless Depths for me
12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the impressions, Pete. I was disappointed when you said it felt like a step back from endless depths. I'm gonna hold off and see what happens. I was hoping it would be a more polished and expanded game, seems like the potential might be there after some patches.