Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default iOS-Android and back again !

Well i had a funny Xmas....

My sister bought a Samsung 4 Mini, had a go of her phone over Xmas and i must admit i loved seeing all the emulators and after playing a few (Quake 2/Gameboy) i was extremely jealous that i couldnt get those on iOS easily or the emulators werent as good.

I then got home and ordered a Samsung phone ! Theres me, Mr iOS joining the 'enemy' !!

I love my iphone but i've only got a 16 gig phone, its an iphone 4 which seems quite slow now and the prices of new phones (i dont want to swap contracts) are huge. So Samsung it was !

But i had the phone for 2 days, perhaps i'm sooooo engrained with iOS i just didnt enjoy Android. Problem is as well with soooo many iOS apps i've bought (Spent 2000+ over the years) i just couldnt really switch. Plus iOS vouchers for Xmas didnt help !

Had 7 days to swap the phone back so i did. I'll probably buy a cheap Android tablet JUST for retro gaming emulators.

I've spent so much on iOS over the years, i have an ipod touch/ipad as well but i just love gaming on my iphone, just wish it had an SD Mini card like some Android devices do !
Old 01-01-2014, 06:12 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Don't go for a cheap Android tablet; if you want a good one, the pricepoint rises significantly.
All the reviews I read boil down to "cheap for reason".
These are low-price because their manufacturers save on the hardware.
From what I remember, mostly on the display and the processors; low RAM and storage is only an issue with the bargain bin ones.
Also, I recall that the SD cards do not work properly on many Android devices, because they are not integrated well into the filesystem.
Last, make sure to get a model where the manufacturer has a history of providing OS upgrades at all: many don't do any, to "encourage" you to buy a new device instead.
Timely upgrades is another matter, usually they come with huge delays (months) if at all.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:18 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Using an s4 mini myself although with a 64gb Micro SD + Nova launcher prime installed and I've also a lot of the google/samsung stock apps disabled.
I think I'll use this as a chance to show off my homescreen just for the heck of it basically just Nova Prime and the Cyrcle Icon Pack.

It's actually my favourite android device out of the 2 or 3 I own, I especially like the IR blaster with an app called smart IR it's basically always with me now and controls everything from my Tv, Music System, Bedroom fans.

Downside is I've a large selection of apps on both iTunes and Google Play and I'm still using both to a certain extent I've definitely been spending more with Google recently though.

So I can certainly understand why you don't want to walk away from iTunes if you have a lot invested there but theres no harm in having a few devices to choose between if you can afford to.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'm glad you said you could disable a lot of those apps. I was disappointed it only had 16 gig, but only about 7 seemed to be available. Some apps were fine installing on the SD card but some seemed like they had to install on the phone itself which was a pain.

Might have been hasty sending it back but i had a 7 day grace period and with New Year etc i had to make sure it was back in time.

I've read a lot of reviews for the cheap Tescos Hudl tablet, i think for what i want it for (Just old emulators) it should be fine
Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I'm glad you said you could disable a lot of those apps. I was disappointed it only had 16 gig, but only about 7 seemed to be available. Some apps were fine installing on the SD card but some seemed like they had to install on the phone itself which was a pain.

Might have been hasty sending it back but i had a 7 day grace period and with New Year etc i had to make sure it was back in time.

I've read a lot of reviews for the cheap Tescos Hudl tablet, i think for what i want it for (Just old emulators) it should be fine
I think it differs by carrier I'm in the UK so I have found I can disable pretty much everything I want, I was surprised to read recently some Americans can't unless they root the phone.

To be honest while Samsung phones can install things to the MicroSD it's not really worth doing your better of using that space for files like videos, music, movies, ebooks, etc as you don't seem to save that much space even when the apps transfer.

Yeah I'd say the hudl could likely handle emulators fine I've an older Nexus 7 and it does fine.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Phone - get android.

Tablet - get ipad.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Phone - get android.

Tablet - get ipad.
Thought so myself too. Got a note 2. Still have it. In some drawer collecting dust I think. Worst piece of tech I've owned in almost a decade. Never again. Even my dumb phone is better than note 2 or S3. Atleast I don't need two hands just for dialling a number (or doing anything else for that matters) or put a brick next to my ear & face just to talk.

And then there's android. It's not as bad as I feared but it's nowhere near as great as some people claim it to be. I'd rate android as 5/10 OS compared to 7/10 iOS 7 (would have been 8/10 if it wasn't so buggy and crashy on my ipad 3). The additional features like "true" multi tasking, widgets, customizations and "open'ness" all ended up being useless in the end. Didn't care the tiniest bit about any of them. Couldn't find the least bit of interesting use of any such features. It's just a freakin phone. Just be great at being a mobile phone and I'll be satisfied. Unfortunately most android devices are neither great at being mobile nor at being a phone. Atleast not IMO.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:08 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

A bit offtopic:
"It's just a phone" is exactly why I went lowtech with mine:
http://www.emporia.eu/en/products/ov...iaeleganceplus

I briefly considered the ruggedised version
http://www.emporia.eu/en/products/ov...poriasolidplus
but the bigger buttons on the Elegance won out with my big fingers

For fun stuff like games I have my iPad. Phone really only needs to make calls, I don't even need SMS these days.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Phone - get android.

Tablet - get ipad.
Yeah, I agree. Having unlimited sd card ability and a 5.7 inch screen is worth it.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Got a note 2. Still have it. In some drawer collecting dust I think.
Funny you should say that. I haven't even touched my iPad since getting a Note 3 in October. I bought Oceanhorn, played it until the 6% left in my battery drained out and I haven't bothered charging since. I love my iPad and it totally ruined iPhone gaming for me, but I doubt I'll ever get one again. It's too big and bulky. I'd pick up a mini, but not having a phone is a pain in the ass...and that's where the Note 3 comes in. It's everything I need and the size is perfect. Sure, the fact that I don't get all the games I want to is annoying, but in every other aspect, I'm enjoying Android more than I did iOS.

Hell, I have God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta running on my ****ing phone.

EDIT: Oh, I should probably mention that this doesn't mean I've given up on iOS. Once it's time to move on from the Note 3, I'll be getting an iPhone. But yeah...not an iPad.

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-01-2014 at 05:35 PM..