★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

7YRL: The Seven Year Roguelike - by Wanderling Games

01-02-2014, 12:36 AM
7YRL: The Seven Year Roguelike - by Wanderling Games

Saw this while browsing SlideDB
http://www.slidedb.com/games/7yrl-th...year-roguelike

---

For PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad

Old school fun meets new school flair - 8bit graphics with real time shadows, particles, bump mapping and more. Gameplay has permadeath but with progression (skills, crafted items, professions, and proficiencies), heavy crafting influence, and more.

It's a play on the 7DRL ("Seven Day RogueLike") challenge, toned back to something closer to my own timeframes. I'm having a blast creating it, and am starting to post up on moddb in hopes of getting other folks interested and getting their feedback.

Youtube link | Pop Up

PC Pre-alpha demo here

Quote:
This isnít intended to be playable or fun Ė itís just testing out infrastructure. You can move around, single-shot mobs, see the pretty shadows, pick and and equip items, and ascend/descend levels. All the trademarks of any AAA game!

- Weapons and Armor can now have up to 3 Item Powers associated with them. These powers are activated when the item is equipped and deactivated when the item is unequipped.

- As the player plays the game, they will unlock Skills. Skills fall into one of four categories; Offensive, Defensive, Support, and Passive. The player will unlock numerous skills in each of those categories, but will only be able to "activate" one of them from each category at a time. The first categories are active and triggered when a Skill button is clicked by the player.

01-02-2014, 02:11 AM
I thought my Roguelike sense was tingling. This looks all kinds of lovely, especially with permadeath but some persistency. A crafting system sounds interesting too, makes it sound a bit like Heroes of Loot crossed with Dungeons of Dredmore. Whatever it plays like, I already know I'm very interested, cheers!

01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Looks good and colourful (kind of)
01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Okey, look really interesting, looking for more info about release date
01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
7YRL author here

Hey, thanks for posting that Bronxsta! I'm the developer (et al) for 7YRL and I definitely appreciate the interest.

7YRL is a game I'm writing because I want to play this game . Timing-wise, that means there's no deadlines (fortunately or unfortunately). I'm trying not to rush it, so I'd like to have something honestly enjoyable by mid-year with a full release later in the year. It's not for a lack of focus though - I'm devblogging on slidedb and 7yrl.com and am making pretty fast progress and having a blast.

The code currently runs on on PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad (albeit with some rotation issues on the latter two). If you want to check it out, there's a PC demo available (check out 7yrl on indiedb). I'm also waiting for my Xamarin.Mac license purchase to go through so I'll have a Mac version out shortly. I'm honestly not sure how to go about making an alpha version available on iOS though - is that even possible?

Thanks again for the interest! I'm a loooong time TouchArcade reader (first site I check when I need a break) and I'm looking forward to keeping folks here up to date on 7YRL as it improves.
01-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsim View Post
Hey, thanks for posting that Bronxsta! I'm the developer (et al) for 7YRL and I definitely appreciate the interest.

7YRL is a game I'm writing because I want to play this game . Timing-wise, that means there's no deadlines (fortunately or unfortunately). I'm trying not to rush it, so I'd like to have something honestly enjoyable by mid-year with a full release later in the year. It's not for a lack of focus though - I'm devblogging on slidedb and 7yrl.com and am making pretty fast progress and having a blast.

The code currently runs on on PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad (albeit with some rotation issues on the latter two). If you want to check it out, there's a PC demo available (check out 7yrl on indiedb). I'm also waiting for my Xamarin.Mac license purchase to go through so I'll have a Mac version out shortly. I'm honestly not sure how to go about making an alpha version available on iOS though - is that even possible?

Thanks again for the interest! I'm a loooong time TouchArcade reader (first site I check when I need a break) and I'm looking forward to keeping folks here up to date on 7YRL as it improves.
Hey, welcome to TA. Thanks for posting here. Your game looks great, I especially like the lighting.

I guess you could do Testflight and then share the alpha with testers
01-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the pointer to TestFlight - I'll check it out and see if I can use it.
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
I definitely respect the mission brief of making a game that you'd want to play. I'm loving the lighting as mentioned, gives a real sense of ominous discovery.

I'll definitely be one of the first to step forward if you find TestFlight to your liking, this is the first time I've subscribed to a thread. Intrigued doesn't even cover it
01-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Seconded regarding test flight. I'd be more than happy to help. I lap this kind of game up and it looks GREAT. ^^
01-04-2014, 08:36 AM
You folks rock . Names added, and you'll be the first I contact. It's still all just prototype stage, but the current demo gives a sense of what I'm trying to get to. PeteOzzy hit the nail on the head - "ominous." I'm not sure how best to achieve it and maintain the right gameplay pacing (think DC:SS), but the idea of seeing something peeking out of the shadows and thinking "gulp" was one of the first visuals I had in mind when thinking about this...

I'm on the tail end of getting an installable Mac demo going, and should be able to get a tech demo on iPad by the end of next week if CES doesn't steal too many cycles.

Thanks again!