Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Default Should IOS games be more expensive?

I think this issue was made most apparent to me while reading through the Tiny Thief forums on Steam and really made me think about the state of IOS gaming.

For those who don't follow PC gaming, Tiny Thief was put on Steam in December for $15. Now if it hadn't been a mobile title, no one would have a problem with that. But it was and people think the game should be free, or $1, $3 or at most $5. Personally I think $10 would have been more reasonable, but that's besides the point.

I would like to see IOS games be more expensive. This is my personal opinion but I think it's an utter travesty and disservice to the incredible experiences that these hard working developers create that they have to devalue their games to a $1, maybe $2 or $3, to even have a chance at being a success on the App Store. IOS games like Penumbear, which has over 100 levels, unique visuals, innovative gameplay, or Badland, or Starborn Anarkist would easily be priced at $10, maybe even $15 if they were PC games or indies on XBLA or PSN and could be a success on those platforms as well.

IOS gaming has long since evolved into more than just causal games. We've seen games with hours of content, with deep gameplay, with engaging stories and unique visuals. IOS is as valid a gaming platform as a Vita or PC, just as diverse, and yet still seen as inferior and overwhelmingly causal. It's not uncommon, in fact's it's sadly quite prevalent, to see games worth $1 go free within days or weeks, or people say a game is priced too high at $2 or $3. That's the kind of attitude that IOS gaming and App Store has fostered and continues to nurture due to the ever-growing success of freemium practices

---

Edit: would be cool if some devs would comment, maybe even the TA guys. Quite interested to hear their opinions as well. I really think this is an issue that affects IOS gaming as a whole from the gamers to the developers to the App Store itself, and sadly it's an issue that, expect for the rare exception of recent ports and premium games, continues to go in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Bronxsta; 01-05-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

If it means better games then yes. But a higher price market would just result in the complete take over of freemium games.
For example if there was 2 racing games - one was Real Racing 3 and the other was Racing Sim Pro for 10 the person would get RR3 every time. The market is separating at the moment. We have awful Iap filled casual games at 69p or free and we have the new premium market (Stealth Inc. , XCOM , Ocean horn)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
I think this issue was made most apparent to me while reading through the Tiny Thief forums on Steam and really made me think about the state of IOS gaming.

For those who don't follow PC gaming, Tiny Thief was put on Steam in December for $15. Now if it hadn't been a mobile title, no one would have a problem with that. But it was and people think the game should be free, or $1, $3 or at most $5. Personally I think $10 would have been more reasonable, but that's besides the point.

I would like to see IOS games be more expensive. This is my personal opinion but I think it's an utter travesty and disservice to the incredible experiences that these hard working developers create that they have to devalue their games to a $1, maybe $2 or $3, to even have a chance at being a success on the App Store. IOS games like Penumbear, which has over 100 levels, unique visuals, innovative gameplay, or Badland, or Starborn Anarkist would easily be priced at $10, maybe even $15 if they were PC games or indies on XBLA or PSN and could be a success on those platforms as well.

IOS gaming has long since evolved into more than just causal games. We've seen games with hours of content, with deep gameplay, with engaging stories and unique visuals. IOS is as valid a gaming platform as a Vita or PC, just as diverse, and yet still seen as inferior and overwhelmingly causal. It's not uncommon, in fact's it's sadly quite prevalent, to see games worth $1 go free within days or weeks, or people say a game is priced too high at $2 or $3. That's the kind of attitude that IOS gaming and App Store has fostered and continues to nurture due to the ever-growing success of freemium practices
I'd be happy to pay for games of Xcom or KOTOR quality.

The bottom line is that the cost will be just what the market can bear once the freemium models have bedded in and devs have a better idea of what to aim for.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Yep - I'd love minimum price a fiver and no free games. I'd take more care buying and decent developers would get more of my money for decent games in the long run.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
Yep - I'd love minimum price a fiver and no free games. I'd take more care buying and decent developers would get more of my money for decent games in the long run.
What would happen to the apps already on the market? I mean people have spent lots on those and would lose everything if they were removed.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
What would happen to the apps already on the market? I mean people have spent lots on those and would lose everything if they were removed.
I think we can safely say that it isn't going to happen.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Well i could put my games for $10 no problem, but nobody would buy them atleast i think. Hero Siege was my first premium game ever, and its doing pretty well. But yeah, i dont think there are enough quality games to raise the overall bar. Most of the top chart games are terrible and really not worth that much money. There are some gems. One of the reason we made Hero Siege was the fact that we didnt have anything to play on our phones, so we made it and now we can enjoy our own game lol (I'm an android player tho). I should buy an iPad so i could enjoy some Oceanhorn. But yeah, free to play needs to die that is one thing.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

This topic comes up quite frequently. Personally I have no complaints with the current status quo.

Games sell for small amounts, but the successful ones sell in such huge quantities that that still brings in a healthy profit. The idea that $1 is somehow "insulting" just seems silly to me. If that's the price that brings the developers the most profit then that's the right price.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
This topic comes up quite frequently. Personally I have no complaints with the current status quo.

Games sell for small amounts, but the successful ones sell in such huge quantities that that still brings in a healthy profit. The idea that $1 is somehow "insulting" just seems silly to me. If that's the price that brings the developers the most profit then that's the right price.
Panicci's game Hero Siege is $12.99 on PC. On IOS, it's 2.99.
They're the same game, same content.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I think a higher minimum price would harm small developers who are already having trouble trying to get out from under the radar. A lot of very good games have very little quantifiable justification for a high price until the market tells them so.

Additionally, I don't think it would help any other aspect of the industry.