★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Groops is a puzzle game that will put your mind to the test. Match tiles three at a time based on either shared or completely unique attributes - the number of possibilities will tie your brain in knots! Keep your mind sharp. Play Groops!

Hundreds of levels of increasing difficulties!
Infinite, unlimited gameplay in Time Attack mode. Get to the top of the leaderboards and send your friends Challenge requests to beat your score!
Unlock dozens of Achievements!
Compete against friends in multiplayer mode - who can get the most Groops before time runs out?

~ * Starbucks Pick of the Week in 2014 * ~

This is an example of why we love games. Simple to understand, but very difficult to master. - iPlayApps

Groops takes match-three to a whole new level. - Daniel Celeste, AppAdvice.com

This game is more fun and challenging than my job! With a smooth design and intelligent matching, it is everything I look for to keep my mind stimulated during downtime - HallelP

Fun but challenging game. Cant put my phone down once I open this app! - Stefi592

GAMEPLAY MODES

LEVELS - Relax, theres no time pressure. Find all the possible Groops on the screen to advance. You can use Hints if you get stuck (get more by playing TIME ATTACK or from the Powerups menu).

TIME ATTACK - Find as many Groops as possible before time runs out! Make 5 Groops in a row to increase your multiplier, but be careful! If you make an invalid Groop, your multiplier gets reset. Rack up as many points as possible because your score gets added to your points bank.

OK, HOW DO I PLAY?

Match 3 tiles to make a Groop. Tiles have 4 attributes with three options each - SHAPE (square, circle, leaf), COLOR (blue, magenta, yellow), PATTERN (solid fill, striped fill, border only), and SYMBOL (diamond, hourglass, and its 3rd option is no symbol at all). Finding identical tiles is easy, but youll eventually need to make Groops based on mixed attributes, and thats where we kick your brain into full-throttle.

Groops can be made by matching tiles with identical attributes, by matching all 3 options of 1 attribute, or by matching three different options across multiple attributes. For example:

Solid blue square with no symbol, solid blue circle with no symbol, and a solid blue leaf with no symbol. (Same shape - square, same color - blue, same pattern - solid, all different symbols)
Striped blue square with no symbol, solid magenta circle with a diamond, bordered yellow leaf with an hourglass (All different shapes, all different colors, all different patterns, all different symbols)

NOTE: To make a Groop, either all options are the same, or all different across the attributes. For example, these would be invalid:

Solid blue square with no symbol, solid blue square with no symbol, solid blue circle with no symbol (two squares and a circle, instead of three squares, or one square, one circle, and one leaf)
Bordered magenta circle with a diamond, solid yellow circle with a diamond, solid yellow circle with an hourglass (Invalid for two reasons: 1) two yellows and a magenta instead of three yellows or one yellow, one magenta, and one blue. 2) two diamonds and an hourglass instead of three diamonds or one diamond, one hourglass, and one without any symbol at all)

Follow @play_groops on Twitter

PeteOzzy's comments:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/groops-puzzle-game-about-matching/id659981940?mt=8

01-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Do I have you on my gamecentre Pete? I'm cloudpuff79 if not. I'll prob pick this up later today if you wanna try the head to head malarkey.

01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm almost certain I've added you but I'm having some issues with GC, it keeps disconnecting me and signing me into a different account lol. May have to make a new account so I'll re-add you if it gets that bad!
01-06-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm interested in buying, but I don't know what the heck this game is about. Did a quick Google search and found nada. Can someone elaborate on gameplay?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
01-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Bought and have had a play through a few levels,
Basically you have to match the icons into groups of three, there's a certain amount of groups in each level which you must find to advance to the next. Sounds easy right? Ha it's actually quite difficult and challenging since you don't group them only by looking the same, ie, you could have a solid coloured square and empty square and a patterned square, it certainly adds some depth and what I thought was a casual easy match three type of game is actually quite challenging, I'm on the easy set at the moment and that's proving taxing so Gawd knows how I will handle the mind bending set.

Eta, there's a live multiplayer mode too, that should be fun, lemme know if you get it and I'll play you once you've had chance to work it out.
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I'm almost certain I've added you but I'm having some issues with GC, it keeps disconnecting me and signing me into a different account lol. May have to make a new account so I'll re-add you if it gets that bad!
I'm finding that I have to keep signing in despite already being signed it, the pop up thing is doing my head in as you can guarantee it'll pop up right when I don't want it to lol.
I've not oissed about with setting etc so I'm assuming it's just a tv thing and it'll fix itself, I hope lol.
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
Bought and have had a play through a few levels,
Basically you have to match the icons into groups of three, there's a certain amount of groups in each level which you must find to advance to the next. Sounds easy right? Ha it's actually quite difficult and challenging since you don't group them only by looking the same, ie, you could have a solid coloured square and empty square and a patterned square, it certainly adds some depth and what I thought was a casual easy match three type of game is actually quite challenging, I'm on the easy set at the moment and that's proving taxing so Gawd knows how I will handle the mind bending set.

Eta, there's a live multiplayer mode too, that should be fun, lemme know if you get it and I'll play you once you've had chance to work it out.
Thanks CP. Wish the dev could post a gameplay vid or trailer. Anyway, are the levels timed? Are there power ups?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks cloudpuff for impression, give it a try
01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Thanks CP. Wish the dev could post a gameplay vid or trailer. Anyway, are the levels timed? Are there power ups?
No time li it on levels and there's hints and shuffles, not what I'd call power ups.
There is a separate time attack mode in which you get as many groups as you can within a certain amount if time but I've not tried that yet.

Last edited by cloudpuff; 01-06-2014 at 05:04 PM.
01-07-2014, 08:21 AM
I've been enjoying it so far. It is surprisingly difficult, but just because it takes a while for your brain to parse the different attributes (color, shape, fill pattern, and symbol).

Basically, you're set up with a number of shapes, and your goal is to find all the possible "groops". A groop is a set of three shapes that either all share a common attribute, or all have different attributes. So you could have three circles (same) that all have a stripe pattern (same), but all have different symbols (different) and are red, blue, and yellow (different), and that would be a groop. If they were red, blue, and blue, it would not be a group, because they have neither all the same color nor all different. It gives your brain a workout trying to analyze all those attributes, but since you have unlimited time, I found it fun and relaxing as opposed to frustrating.

There are 100 untimed puzzle levels (4 sets of 25), then some time attack stuff that I would probably be terrible at.