★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: GEARED (Now FREE - 01/Dec)

08-09-2009, 06:18 AM
GEARED (Now FREE - 01/Dec)

Geared

iTunes
[Full] - $0.99
[Lite] - Free

AppShopper

Description:
Quote:
Geared is a radically new and innovative puzzle game; an absolutely unique addition to it's genre.

The first and only Gear-based game with absolutely no snap-grid. Geared delivers complete and total freedom to the player, bestowing every puzzle with a near infinite array of choices.

Pit your intellect against 80 uniquely designed levels, original to this game.

Finally, a game without inhibition.

Let your creative genius run wild.

Features (v1.0):
- 80 levels of addictive gameplay.
- Varying difficulty; Easy to near-impossible.
- Play time tracker.
- Player rank awards.
- Level selection menu.
- Settings menu with soundfx mute.
- Play your own music.
- Progress is saved automatically.
- Reset level button.
- Original sound effects.
Screenshots:

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

Last edited by Prab; 08-10-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: fixed link for lite version
08-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Looks like Sprocket which IIRC has no snap-grid though it's been a while since I played it. Same principle it seems.

08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
GEARED and GEARED-FREE now available.

My 8th app has hit the app store! I am so excited. So much work, and so far it's doing really well!

Full Version on the App Store.

Free Version on the App Store.

Geared is a radically new and innovative puzzle game; an absolutely unique addition to it's genre.

The first and only Gear-based game with absolutely no snap-grid. Geared delivers complete and total freedom to the player, bestowing every puzzle with a near infinite array of choices.

Pit your intellect against 80 uniquely designed levels, original to this game.

Finally, a game without inhibition.

Let your creative genius run wild.

Features (v1.0):
- 80 levels of addictive gameplay.
- Varying difficulty; Easy to near-impossible.
- Play time tracker.
- Player rank awards.
- Level selection menu.
- Settings menu with soundfx mute.
- Play your own music.
- Progress is saved automatically.
- Reset level button.
- Original sound effects.

Note: Promo codes for the full version will be given out tonight to whoever posts a written App Store review on the free version (then posts it here).
08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Send a message via MSN to MagicMarvin
Looks cool, playing now. Will write a review asap.

EDIT: Done. Review submitted.

Last edited by MagicMarvin; 08-10-2009 at 08:52 AM.
08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll check the lite, looks really nice.
08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Okay I downloaded this and played the lite and find it pretty fun, finally someone makes a gears game because I enjoy physics. My gripe is that when placing gears many times I had trouble with the main ones responding which is very frustrating.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I wrote this for my review:

Quote:
It took me a bit to figure out what the red boxes were, after I began. Apparently you cannot put gears into those areas.
And right after that, I faced sliding red boxes, which confused me even more. I would like some proper instructions.
Controls are a bit hard to use as well, with the whole drag-drop thing.

Other than that, it's a decent puzzle.

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Okay with the help of Gaia i wrote this in the app store

I downloaded this and played the lite and find it pretty fun. Finally someone makes a gears game because I personally enjoy physics. My gripe is that when placing gears many times I had trouble with the main ones responding which is very frustrating but turns out that you cannot place them in the red boxes. There are no instructions so it makes it frustrating as most will not figure this out and the most of the ones who gave short five stars are lying as without tutorials it is a harder game than it should be(and i'm sorry if it hurts but most never gave a review they just said bring a full version lol). yet i find this game to somewhat satisfy my puzzles needs as the ones i played after figuring it out were way too easy.

btw: definitley add instructions/better tutorials as it will turn off many people

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com

Last edited by skyye06; 08-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.
08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Tried this the other day, and I pretty much agree with what the guys are saying. Here is the text of my review, which was submitted on iTunes...

Sound concept, needs some user-friendly features...
This is a really sound concept. The gears theme is always great for puzzles. Like it so far, but the app desperately needs better instructions regarding where and how to place the gears. The red boxes, etc., need to be explained. I think the interface could maybe use some work in terms of selecting & deselecting gears as well. Good game for sure, which can be made great with some minor enhancements.

Last edited by Shermy808; 08-10-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: additional details
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Downloaded the free version and wrote a review on the UK app store:

Four stars

Hooray, a gears game! If you've ever played the classic cogs/gears puzzle, or one of the several iterations of it, this is the app for you. The premise is simple, place gears on the screen so that the active gear connects to, and thus powers, all the inactive blue gears. The difference here is that you're not (totally) limited to where you place your gears, which can be both a blessing and a curse. The freedom results in more logical thinking and room for experimentation, yet also raises the difficulty factor. Sometimes you can have your gears in the right locations, but the gears won't connect due to one of them being mere pixels away from it's neighbouring gear.

I found the levels in the free version quite challenging despite the game telling me they are the "easy" levels, which suggests that the later parts of the game are gonna be serious head scratchers. The graphics are simple and eye-pleasing, the interface is easy to use and the SFX are appropriate. One thing I would recommend for an update would be to label the red boxes the first time they appear in the game (the same way the first level is labelled) just to explain their functions, as it took me a pointlessly long time to figure out I could move the box in level 3.

Overall the game is well designed and for anyone who's enjoyed placing gears in the past, this is the best example you're gonna find on the app store.