Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Default Your fav procedurally generated games (including roguelikes/rogue-lites)

Growing list:

- Sword of Fargoal: Get it - now free. If you don't know about this RL, you've been living under a rock.

- Sword of Fargoal Legends: Like the above but published by Chillingo and seems to have universal mode.

- Cavern: My all-time favorite RL on the IOS platform and the dev updates constantly.

- Rogue Touch: Classic rogue but with a nice fresh new UI and easy controls

- Junk Jack and Junk Jack X: Like a 2D minecraft and similar to Terraria, made from the ground up for IOS

- Dungeonism: New discovery for me and I can't put it down. If you're a fan of RPGs with a rogue-lite flavour, you NEED to at least check it out

- Endless Depths: Not many know about it but there's just something about this RL that I love, likely to do with the loot variety and level-up system

- Endless Nights: Same creator as the above game but has more to it (overworld map, quests, etc)

- Mission Europa: One of the few FPS style games that I'll bother to play, has random level generation, loot, etc

- Trap Hunter: A very nice (and likely not well known) game that has 3D isometric random levels and has you setting traps to dispatch foes. Like a mix of rogue and deception

- Wazhack: A 2D side-scroller style roguelike which is really well regarded in the PC scene (I sadly have not played much of it though)

- Hoplite: A grid based roguelike known for it's intense strategy

- Zaga-33: Minimalistic roguelike with a strong focus on strategic item usage

- Ending: Similar to above, strong emphasis on puzzle-style gameplay

- Megatroid: Megaman-style action platformer with randomized levels (seems to work for me when I enable Airplane mode, otherwise crashes on IOS 7)

- Pocket RPG: Sort of like Torchlight (/diablo) but more bit-sized session gameplay, very fun so far

- Heroes of Loot: Binding of Isaac-style action rogue-lite

- Dungeon Plunder: Rogue-like with a slot-based combat system (highly enjoyed by many TA members)

- Cardinal Quest: Turn-based rogue-lite with a very nice style (reminds me of Sword of Fargoal) and more modest difficulty (not a strong emphasis on loot; it's all done automatically)

- Legends of Yore: Casual rogue-lite with oldschool (nintendo-like) graphics, option to disable permadeath

- Bit Dungeon: Action rogue-like similar to Binding of Isaac

- Aliens versus Humans: A game very similar to the original x-com games complete with random level generation

- Perfection : It's a randomly generated slicing puzzler

- Brogue: A revisiting of Rogue but with beautiful a ASCII style and streamlined UI, a very popular rogue-like in the PC scene

- 100 Rogues - A charming visually-polished roguelike with a lot of character but not without issues.

- Asterogue - Action real-time roguelike with melee/gun combat. Intense but doesn't skimp on the loot and strategy.

- Baroque - The Dark, Twisted Fantasy - Incredibly daunting and uninviting (especially the price) but console-quality 3D roguelike with some amazingly creative loot

- Boson X - Runners are all technically random, but this one creates a wonderful platforming world that feels unique and full of character

- Command Crisis: Callsign - A surprisingly decent shmup with a randomised mission mode and enemy formations.

- Dungelot - Minesweeping roguelike with a board-game feel.

- Empire: The Deck Building Strategy Game - As with most 4X games, the world is randomised but throw in a deck-building element, vicious AI and a need to keep moving make this different every game.

-Heroes of Loot - The result of Gauntlet and The Binding of Isaac's affair.

- Isle of Bxnes - An indie gem that combines a heritage system, brutal difficulty, resource management, stunning pixel art, freedom to explore a randomly generated world and permadeath.

- King of Dragon Pass - Slightly cheating but it's quality earns it a mention. A 4X civilisation management Choose Your Own Adventure with so many possible outcomes and decisions that no game is ever alike. Slightly intimidating for some but incredibly well designed.

- MicroVentures - Unbelievably completely free with no ads or IAPs. Made by the 9th Dawn devs and with randomised missions, stories and levels

- Mysterious Castle - A tactical team-based roguelike which has had a bumpy history.

- Ninja Hero Cats - Watered down Bastion visuals and Quadropus Rampage gameplay.

- Octagon - Another endless runner with great character and a world you won't forget.

- Quadropus Revenge - Another free action roguelike that puts paid models to shame. A ridiculous variety in loot, great humour, unique visuals and a real "one more go" feel

- Rebuild - Zombie survival strategy/sim with a randomised city and cast.

- Rogue Miner - Roguelike with a light crafting system and a 2D MineCraft touch. Explore hundreds of mines from a large overworld, finding materials to upgrade your pickaxe and weapon.

- Rogue Ninja - A by the books roguelike with a ninja theme. Doesn't excel in any particular category but it more than suffices in each area.

- Solomon's Keep - Twin-stick action roguelike with random levels and skills

- Space Croissant - I prefer it to bit Dungeon for the slightly faster gameplay. It's a Binding of Isaac roguelike with masses of loot and fast-paced room clearing.

- Starborn Anarkist - The levels may not be randomised but the enemies are and it's a fantastic game so I wanted to sneak it in. Twin-stick shooter where destroying enemies rewards you with spaceship parts to build Lego-style onto your ship between games. The randomly-constructed boss megaships are terrifyingly impressive.

- Worm Run - Platformer with randomised levels where you have to outrun an all-devouring monster.

- Trial by Survival - Top-down action roguelike with randomized maps (post-apocalyptic themed)

- Rogue Resources - Rogue Resources is a minimalistic combination of rogue-like and real-time-strategy gameplay genres

- Word Up Dog - Dungeon crawler meets word game (as described by TA members) with randomly generated levels, by Sarah Northway (Rebuild)

- Gunslugs - A side-scrolling 2D shooter with random level generation

- Devious Dungeon - 2D side-scrolling action platformer with rpg-lite elements and randomized levels

- Lich Tower of Doom - Rogue-like with board game elements: Defeat 3 of the 6 dungeons to gain access to the 7'th tower where the Lich itself holds residence

- Wayward Souls - A very well received action rogue-like made by the good folks who brought us Mage Gauntlet - best way I can describe it is a game closely resembling what a 2D dark souls would be!

- Rogue Hero - Similar to Devious Dungeon - 2D rogue-like action platformer with persistent unlocks, quite challenging!

- Dream Quest - The first rogue-like I've seen on IOS which features a card game-style combat system!

- The Spatials - Vast game of base building, collecting resources and exploring planets (free to play with a coin doubler that disables ads)

- Siralim - Rogue-like gameplay meets creature taming, tons of depth and replay value

- Super Scrapped Robots - Twin-stick shooter style game with randomly generated levels

- Shattered Planet - A very fun & charming rogue-like with focus on persistent upgrades

Note: Had to trim down some previous descriptions due to hitting char limit.

Last edited by Jorlen; 07-15-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

You know, this is going to turn into the roguelikes thread, right?

Hoplite
Ending

--

And I found a randomly generated platformer-shooter

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
It’s entirely procedurally generated based on text that you input yourself prior to a level. The text can be an actual word or complete gibberish, and either way the game will generate a unique level based on it.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Pocket RPG
Old 01-08-2014, 06:38 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Megatroid looks cool, definitely did not know about that one. I'll have to check it out, although I usually don't like freemium stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Megatroid looks cool, definitely did not know about that one. I'll have to check it out, although I usually don't like freemium stuff.
Unfortunately it crashes on IOS7. But I was reading the thread and the impressions were almost all positive and the general consensus seems to be that the game is pretty fair in regards to currencies.

Here's the thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=145749
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Heroes of Loot
Temple Run 2
Worm Run (although this doesnt work on the ipad air)
Beat Hazard Ultra
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Having a description with randomised/procedurally-generated in pretty much guarantees my money so hopefully a big list will be ok:

100 Rogues
Boson X
Cardinal Quest
Cavern
Dungelot
Dungeon Plunder
Empire
Giant Boulder of Death
Heroes of Loot
Hoplite
Isle of Bxnes
Legends of Yore
MicroVentures
Mysterious Castle
Ninja Hero Cats
Octagon
Pocket RPG
Punch Quest
Quadropus Revenge
Rogue Miner
Rogue Ninja
Solomon's Keep
Space Croissant
Starborn Anarkist
Sword & Glory
Sword of Fargoal
WazHack
Worm Run

I know a few of those May be pushing the boundaries a little but I wanted a nice mix of genres other than Roguelikes. Was still hard narrowing it down though!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Dungeon Plunder and Quadropus Rampage should not be overlooked. WazHack is a great game; as is Cavern (and Dungelot). Legends of Yore is fun too.

The Michael Brough games, like 868-Hack or Zaga-33, are popular too.

Great topic,

Last edited by undeadcow; 01-08-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Unfortunately it crashes on IOS7. But I was reading the thread and the impressions were almost all positive and the general consensus seems to be that the game is pretty fair in regards to currencies.

Here's the thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=145749
Just a note, it does crash but if you enable airplane mode (i.e. kill your connection to the internet) it gets past the title screen. I was able to play the tutorial but haven't had a chance to get that far (my 10 month old refuses to let me play lol)

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions! There are a lot of games in here I will have to research and try out, this will keep me busy.

Keep the suggestions coming! Procedurally generated fans unite, yo
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

A lot of good games have already been mentioned. I noticed you listed Endless Depths, however the developer just came out with a new RL called Endless Nights which I'm really enjoying. Another would be bitDungeon...

Keep an eye out for Cardinal Quest 2 which should be out soon and looks solid.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 01-08-2014 at 08:40 PM..