Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Default Is IOS gaming still viewed as causal by the majority?

As both an IOS gamer and PC gamer, I consider IOS to be just valid and reputable a gaming platforms as PC and consoles. There have been more than enough games in the last few years showcasing the diversity and depth that IOS games can achieve. Yet, in Steam forums and comments on places like IGN, and forums such as NeoGAF and Reddit, there seems to be an attitude of distain towards IOS gaming and this perspective that IOS gaming is nothing but F2P causal crap.

Now of course I'm biased since my views on IOS gaming is molded by the time I spend on the forums here and other IOS/indie-centric forums. And Steam forums and IGN comments are probably the least respectable sources around, other than maybe Youtube comments.

So is IOS gaming still considered as causal by most? Or has the perspective changed in recent years/months?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The way i treat my games on iOS it isnt casual at all. I guess this is one reason i can never put up with timers that prevent playing the game.

I have spent over 10 hours each on titles like Temple Run and its sequels and spinoffs, and most of the runner games i really like, oer 10 hours on most of my rhythm games like Theatrhythm FF, Cytus and Demons Score, completed Dead Space, ME Infiltrator, Shadowgun, Dead Effect, Epoch.1&2, and NOVA3 more than twice, spent over 20 hours on KOTOR, IB1, IB2, IB3, XCOM, Heroes & Castles, and i cant even count the number of games i did with twitch type games like Boson X, Duet, Super Hexagon, Fireball SE, Octagon and the likes.

For me, iOS gaming is a cheap alternative to my gaming... But the "cheap" there isnt without its cons as the iOS market is filled with games that are free but riddled with IAPs and the dreaded timers. That said, from what i do enjoy and spend time on, it is by no means casual anymore.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Widely distributed physical controls would help but that won't happen unless it's built in with every iDevice. Apps will always be designed to have touch support so it will not match the skill level needed for the better games on console and PC... Dumbed down ports are what we get, save for genres that are at home on touch like turn-based strategy games and point and click (which is casual anyway). Unless the dev disregards balancing for touch while designing for an actual game pad. Even then, it will be more of a niche market and probably won't be a good venture.

I'm really itching for a great hack and slash with really tight controls to come to iOS. Dragon's Crown would be a superb start.

Edit: and because of the sheer number of free "facebook games" available on iOS and Android, due in part by fishing for whales, it'll stay strongly seen as casual.

Last edited by Echoen; 01-09-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

For me it replaces console/PC gaming for good. I just like the whole mobile side of things. Short bursts of playing here and there, I can't sit in one place anymore and play games.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I consider it pretty hardcore for myself. Have had basically every console that's ever come out not to mention almost every handheld (Nintendo, Sony) that's come out. I played world of Warcraft almost every day for like 5-6 years and now I'm married with child and don't have time to play console or computer games as much as I'd like. I like being able to jump into a game for a few minutes and actually being able to complete a level or level up a character.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Agree with the others

I'm married with a kid, i dont have time to play or sit on a PC for ages like i might have used to, iOS is great for a bit of gaming here and there where i can fit it in (wife watching a dire soap etc !) or when i'm away with work its great to use on the plane/train etc.

I like some of the 'quick' games but also the epics where i can save my progress. Also being an older gamer with devices over the years from 8 bits to a Megadrive (Genesis) to classic PC games, having so many of my favourites at the tip of my fingers whenever i want is a mini dream.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
Widely distributed physical controls would help but that won't happen unless it's built in with every iDevice. Apps will always be designed to have touch support so it will not match the skill level needed for the better games on console and PC... Dumbed down ports are what we get, save for genres that are at home on touch like turn-based strategy games and point and click (which is casual anyway). Unless the dev disregards balancing for touch while designing for an actual game pad. Even then, it will be more of a niche market and probably won't be a good venture.

I'm really itching for a great hack and slash with really tight controls to come to iOS. Dragon's Crown would be a superb start.

Edit: and because of the sheer number of free "facebook games" available on iOS and Android, due in part by fishing for whales, it'll stay strongly seen as casual.
Okay, I'll say this. I think IOS controllers is probably one of the most ridiculous trends I've seen. What makes IOS gaming so unique and innovative is how the strengths and features of the platform (tilt, touch interface, multi-touch) allow for controls and experiences that wouldn't work elsewhere. Device 6 could only work on IOS/mobile device IMO. I'm testing it, but the tactile nature of a touchscreen gives Monument Valley an element that wouldn't be possible with a mouse or controller

Personally I think if you're making games that play so badly on touch that a controller works better, maybe those games shouldn't be crammed onto IOS
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Kinda get what you mean but i think its good to give people options. Controllers arent for all games, obviously tilt ones or some other types. But after the 'indie' success of the iCade i think its a good move.

When i'm travelling i dont take my 8 bitty with me ! I obviously play games on my device normally, but if i'm here with my iCade sat in front of me i cant resist a few games on Gridlee.

I'm stunned at how poor the reception seems to be, overpriced joysticks and not a word from Apple.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I'm only interested in iOS 7 controllers for one thing... To work in conjunction with emulators. Those classics were made with controllers.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Hey I mean, hardcore PC gamers view consoles as casual gaming too haha