Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 AM

Default My next phone.... But not an iPhone?

Not getting an iPhone.... Mostly because I want, but can't afford 64GB.

Besides I have lots of Apple stuff, and don't feel the need to have everything be Apple.

I want 64gb....and a great camera. In fact, the camera might be more important than the actual phone, as I don't use the phone that much for calls. I literally talk less than 90 minutes a month. And I might have 10 to 20 texts per month... I do surf the net.... I listen to pandora and slacker.... And I watch lots of stuff on YouTube. I do some Facebook and Twitter, but not a huge amount.

My contract ends in 4 weeks, and I want my next phone to last me at least 3 years... I'm on verizon.

I'm almost positive I want an Android phone.

Suggestions?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Would be iPhone 6S
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

If you want something that'll last 3 years, then get a Sony phone. They're waterproof also does this mean you won't be visiting TA, since this site is predominantly iOS related.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Get a Note 3, awesome.

5.7 inch screen is great for surfing the web and games.

Almost unlimiteless disk space with sd cards. 64 gb card was only $35. You can put on a heck of alot of videos, movies, photos, and other stuff on. So I got 96 gb for very cheap.

Batteries are interchangeable, so bought two extra batteries and a charger. So for the first time ever, I can play my phone full brightness, gaming or web, all day without a recharge. It is great.

Stylus is great not only for writing, but it is great for shmups! The spen has to be one of the best shmup joysticks there is.

Hdmi was cheap, only $15, now with 96 gb of disk space, can use it as a DVR like machine. That is so cool that a phone so small can be used as a digital video player with unlimited disk space cause you can just keep popping in new sd cards.

I find the note 3 pretty easy to fit in my pockets, and pretty much can do most anything one handed.

I tried using my old iphone 4 the other day, and the screen was so small and blurry, that it seemed like a toy. Amoled looks far better too than lcd for better colors and clarity.

And a note 3 with a moga joystick feels like a vita, cause the screen is big. Liking the full hd widescreen, movies and many games play better in the full HD format.

Last edited by Connector; 01-11-2014 at 01:23 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Get a Note 3, awesome.
^^this. I've had my Note 2 since they launched in Oct 2012. Having had two iphones previously, I was apprehensive about making the switch, but I can honestly say it's the best phone I've ever owned. I don't game much on it, but have a 64gb card for films / photos and music. As a satnav device in the car it's excellent, and one of the key things for me is just being able to plug it into any PC and drag and drop files/folders freely, without the need for f*****g iTunes!

Like connector said, the stylus is great. I literally have a 100+ hand written notes ... Which you can group in folders etc. Massive improvement on the note 3 is being able to search your notes and 'action memo' them, making them tasks etc. Quite envious of the upgrades the note 3 has over mine tbh! Tho I have an option to trade for 100 quid so may just do that.

Negatives? Well, whilst I've never had an issue with the size, and putting it in pockets etc, it's worth trying that in a shop before buying as clearly a huge difference over an iPhone. For me it's perfect and the only really annoyance comes from the endless remarks from friends and randoms, each time you pull it out ya pocket, 'that phone is huuge!' . yes it is, now get over it. Oh and 'why do you need a phone that big?' Is another very common response... To which I often reply "to smash your face in"
Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 AM
iPad

To each their own I guess. I have a note 2 and I can't honestly recommend it to anyone. Get a ~4.7" htc or sony instead if you have decided on android instead of iOS already. Mostly coz their phones look a hell lot better than s4, otherwise s4 is decent enough too I guess. Do make sure to check if the phone has a microSD card. Not all android phones have one.

The 4.5-4.7" size is a lot more pocketable and single hand friendly than the Note. Also the stylus with the note is extremely over rated IMO. I used it for maybe a week trying to figure out some cool use for it but couldn't find anything even worth the trouble of taking the stylus of of the note 2. Again, I'm talking about my own experience. Maybe you'd find it a bit more useful like connector but so far I've seen none of my Note 2/3 owning friends bother about the stylus after the first couple of weeks.

The supposedly "huge" screen is not really all that big. It's bigger than an iphone sure but nowhere close to the point where I'll ditch the over 3 times bigger screen of my ipad for this tiny thing. It can fit in all my pockets including the front pockets of my jeans sure but it's not really comfortable having the big flat rectangular slab in your pockets. The only good use of the bigger screen I've found is when watching youtube or other videos and you have the phone propped on a the desk. That's assuming you don't have an ipad or any other big screen on that desk as well. Otherwise, I've found the 4" screen of my iPod touch better than the 5.5" note 2 every single time no matter what.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 01-11-2014 at 02:41 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Yep, gotta go with the crowd here. Definitely check out a Note 3 if the thing even remotely interests you. I'd say it's the best phone I've owned.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
If you want something that'll last 3 years, then get a Sony phone. They're waterproof also does this mean you won't be visiting TA, since this site is predominantly iOS related.
No, because I do all gaming on my mini.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM

I was considering a note 3, and still am, but what about the camera? That is critical for me that it is a great camera
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
I was considering a note 3, and still am, but what about the camera? That is critical for me that it is a great camera
Nokia have the best cameras, see what they have on there site.