★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iDevice Info Field Anyone?

View Poll Results: Should there be an iDevice info field for user profiles?
Yes 11 84.62%
No, not enough devices to warrant it 0 0%
Just use the interests/hobbies field 0 0%
Just use the signature field 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
08-10-2009, 06:56 AM
iDevice Info Field Anyone?

From a recent post of mine, who would like to see a profile field specific for your device information which can be viewed much like total posts and location info is viewed for a users individual posts?

We should be allowed to post our device info (iPhone 3G, OS 3.0, Jailbroken) into a text box within our profiles which then can be viewed underneath the location field (above the total posts per member) for every member so others can view who has which device.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I think that would be a nice addition to the forum.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?

08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I agree, it would be a cool idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
That would indicate what device(s) you own, and might be useful when people judge your comments on game performance, etc.

But I was also thinking it would be cool if the forum could automatically note (an icon?) whenever a post is MADE from an iPhone OS device.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 08-12-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Spelling errors galore
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
+1 to the thread. Definitely would be cool
08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I like the idea but don't see it happening, Arn and Blake seem to be pretty unwilling to change things about the forum.... in a good way.
08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
They're not unwilling to change things--things HAVE changed. But I'm sure it's a lot of work and troubleshooting, with potentially severe consequences if something goes wrong with the system. And I'm sure the system has some limitations that aren't practical to break. In the end, the forum is software, after all.

My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
They're not unwilling to change things--things HAVE changed. But I'm sure it's a lot of work and troubleshooting, with potentially severe consequences if something goes wrong with the system. And I'm sure the system has some limitations that aren't practical to break. In the end, the forum is software, after all.
I guess I worded things wrong, I meant to say that they are slightly resistant to change and not often give in to public opinion but do what they think is best. Which actually is a good thing.

Guess I need to practice my wording for next time.

(Even that seems to come off wrong, I need to be quiet )
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I agree.

The potential for consequences was in my mind after just reading something about the colors in signatures being lost as a side-effect of some other change. Now Arn has to fix that. Meanwhile I'm sitting here working on my own software project (nothing to do with iPhone) and tearing my hair out over just that kind of unintended consequences

08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
Yeah, I agree.

The potential for consequences was in my mind after just reading something about the colors in signatures being lost as a side-effect of some other change. Now Arn has to fix that. Meanwhile I'm sitting here working on my own software project (nothing to do with iPhone) and tearing my hair out over just that kind of unintended consequences
Haha, yep, I don't have extensive experience with much coding, but have done enough to know that feeling.