Your absolute favorite RPG and why?

01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Your absolute favorite RPG and why?

What's your favorite RPG to date on IOS and why? Can be any sub-type of RPG obviously, like strategy based, action based or roguelike. Whatever.
01-16-2014, 03:46 PM
It'd be hard to pick just one but here are some standouts...

Kingturn Underworld - expansive content with challenging chess like turn based strategy matches in a grand political plot.

Fall of Angels - adventure game puzzles in a JRPG exploration/combat world, I consider it to be the best JRPG exclusive to iOS.

WazHack - a 2D sidescrolled roguelike with metroidvania elements that is challenging but so much fun to explore.

The Quest Gold - insane first person turn based dungeon crawling with mind numbing amounts of content and exploration.

01-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. The original PSX version jumpstarted my liking for RPGs and tactical games and it's pretty legendary itself. Fantastic depth to the system, a dark story with stand out characters, charmingly beautiful art, memorable music, and tons of secrets to find, this complexity stands to be my all-time #1.

Pretty excited for Yasumi Matsuno's kickstarter project Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians
01-16-2014, 05:31 PM
King of Dragonpass.

After that, several memorable ones:
The Spiderweb games: Avadon and the Avernums.
Kingturn Underworld, if we count tactics games with story.
Then Ravenmark qualifies as well, and its fantastic worldbuilding gives it a close second place to KoDP.
The Quest series gets a honorable mention for sheer amount of worldbuilding and content; even though I could not warm up to the later ones.

Sidenote: We need an RPG lounge thread. Nothing like undeadcow's awesome list, just a place to come by and say "hey, found this gem, take a look." I can of course offer the Antwar Saloon for that.
Or we start a new one. Does anyone know a name of a famous inn of the "upon entering a dark-hooded stranger approaches you: 'You look like adventurers, and I have just the job for you' " kind?
01-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Yes, I agree with Nullzone. I am just starting to get into RPG's and can't decide on which one I should start with.
Plus the price on some through me off but if its good enough then I will get it.
01-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Honestly I don't have many IOS RPGs. Of the ones I have played, 9th Dawn gets my recommendation
01-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Battleheart

Heroes & Castles

Bardbarian

Meltdown

Last edited by JCho133; 01-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.
01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaliba View Post
Yes, I agree with Nullzone. I am just starting to get into RPG's and can't decide on which one I should start with.
Plus the price on some through me off but if its good enough then I will get it.
Welcome to a great genre then You won't regret it.

Do you know what you like? E.g. more action-oriented, story and world, great graphics?
Recommendations will vary a lot, depending on your preferences

And many good RPGs have a higher pricepoint (well, for iOS at least, I still think 10 are a joke). Look at e.g. Baldur's Gate, widely recognised as one of the best ever. With every additional content, it clocks in at ~20.
01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
As soon as I read favourite rpg I was about to dash into the threads and scream 'Morrowind!' But then I see it's iOS. Hmm okay!

I would have said 9th Dawn as I loved that game but since the last update the screen no longer autorotate and now I can't play the damn game anymore and the dev is not responding to PM's or emails.

So.. Now my vote will pass to:-

a tie between Questlord and Ultima IV.

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15
01-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Recently enjoyed the Shadowsun alot, has a great pc rpg game vibe!