★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

About to launch a game... any advice?

01-16-2014, 10:38 PM
About to launch a game... any advice?

Hi! Me (designer) and my friend (Programer) are about to launch a kickstarter to raise money for a marketing campaign for the puzzle game we are doing.

So I come here in all humility to ask everyone for tips, advice.. anything.

I'm not looking only to get game developers opinions, I want gamers too.. so everyone is welcome to spit it out..

Thanks a lot guys!
01-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Hard to give any useful advice without seeing the game other than keep your expectations super low.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)

01-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Best advice: don't launch on mobile. Kickstarter works better for PC games. Aside from the ridiculous competition on iOS and Android, mobile games typically don't cost that much after you launch, so it's a harder case to make on Kickstarter.

We're going to launch a Kickstarter for an updated and enhanced version of our flagship title, but it'll probably be desktop-only unless a stretch goal is reached or the fans truly clamor for it.

As for general Kickstarter tips:
- Build up your community first (Facebook or Twitter). The larger your following, the much greater the likelihood of success
- Kickstarter is more of a funding vehicle for almost finished games, or those who can make some snazzy demos. Sad but true. Game ideas alone rarely ever get funded.
- Make the video as polished as you can, and generally no more than a minute long. And grab their attention within the first 5-15 seconds.

We're way behind on social media, so our hope is with the game's features and video when we launch.

Helle - 3D fluid physics blocky puzzler - App Store - Google Play
Dangerous HD - Epic 3D space combat RPG - iTunes - Website - Trailer - Soundtrack
01-17-2014, 08:46 AM
The way I get aware of an upcoming game of from the upcoming games forum right here on toucharcade.
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM

We went to kickstarter not to fund the game it self but to get money for marketing, We'll see how it goes, the game will be launched anyway.
This is a trailer - tutorial I did for it

Let me know what you think!
Thanks all for the replies!
01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I like it, basic concept, which is what makes people play and play again.
I also think the trailer is a good way to show there's more behind the simple concept.
01-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks! really appreciate it dude!
01-19-2014, 11:35 PM
That was a really really well made trailer, made better by the fact that the game looks super awesome!
01-20-2014, 07:39 AM
wow! THANKS dude, thanks for the words, I'm glad you think that!
01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Hey Alex,

I've done a little digging into this myself recently, it's not a route we're going down but I was really interested in the process. The best advice I can give with my limited experience on the service is to find quality benchmarks. Find those products, NOT limited to games, that have done well and use that as a starting block to build on.

You'll need to do a lot of unique activities to build your own identity, but a lot of the groundwork has been done by those out there already.