Should I toftt
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Kat View Post
This looks cool
Hmmm
Should I toftt
I bought it earlier, I'll just be twenty minutes playing it and then leave imps if you need
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

This look amazing and fun, instabuy.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Well, it definitely excels visually. I really love the character in the sprites, backdrops and level design. It's all set up really nicely with tutorial level and with a healthy dose of light-hearted humour, nothing over-bearing or scene-stealing, it just creates a nice personality. The music is pleasant too; not distracting or repetitive but with just the right amount of cartoon pomp and frivolity to suit the graphical style.

It plays like an old-school platformer with the difficulty turned up a notch; a genre that has seen a revival in popularity recently. You have your traditional exit goal, hidden collectible, enemies and puzzles to solve on the way so genre experts will find it satisfyingly familiar. That's not to say that it doesn't innovate though and the design and humour constantly work to add a unique flavour.

I do have a small flaw that slightly detracted from what would otherwise be a solid game and it's a fairly important one. Challenging platformers are made and broken by their controls and Foxtrot's is a bit of a mixed bag.
You move by touching the side of the screen you want to go and touch both simultaneously to jump. This leads to some awkward jumping at times, to the point that I don't think my meagre skills will ever get me past level 10. Sometimes you'll jump perfectly and clip the roof or wall which will halt your trajectory and force you to try again, it can get quite infuriating when dozens of lives are lost and you don't feel wholly responsible for the mistakes made.

That said, this is something easily fixed in an update and it's also very likely to be my own lack of skill hindering me. It doesn't stop me recommending it but I would be much more positive about it if it used a more traditional gamepad-style interface with the two directions, interact and jump buttons.
The heart is most definitely there, it's clearly made by a talented developer but be prepared to die a lot, and not always fairly
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I bought it earlier, I'll just be twenty minutes playing it and then leave imps if you need
Pull your finger out Pete!!!
It's probs a good thing you've not posted imps yet, I've found it's not usually a good idea for me to buy games at 3am. Especially good ones, I end up playing and get even less sleep.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
It's probs a good thing you've not posted imps yet, I've found it's not usually a good idea for me to buy games at 3am. Especially good ones, I end up playing and get even less sleep.
Ha! Beat you by one minute! :P
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
Haha he posted while you were writing this
Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 PM

Control scheme doesn't sound like it affords the precision needed for this type of game. Lack of Game Center doesn't help to persuade me into buying either...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Hm, I'd much rather a virtual pad than the weird system they've opted for. Are there any alternative control options?