Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
abbas_basil abbas_basil is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default iBeacons for iOS and Android

Hey All,

We have just launched a new campaign on Indiegogo for the manufacturing of iBeacons for iOS and Android. Take a look at it and let me know what you think. Any support will be highly appreciated.

http://igg.me/at/beacoin/x/6050459

Beacons seem to be getting a lot of hype these days and so we thought we go ahead and manufacture it and open up the possibilities to all devs around the world. Our SDK will be open source and will be made available once we reach the goal.

Have a good day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 826
Default

I read it quickly and couldn't figure the purpose of the device. I think if your asking people for support it needs to be superclear what the device actually is and what benefit having the device is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
abbas_basil abbas_basil is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default

Hey thanks for the tip. I have updated the campaign page so that users can have more insight into the device and its capabilities.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 110
Default

So what is a beacon and what does it do? I still don't get it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM
abbas_basil abbas_basil is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default

Ok. So a beacon is a bluetooth transmitter. So lets say you walk into a car showroom and are close to a particular model, a push notification will appear on your device and ask if if you would like to know more information on that model. If you click yes then it will pull information from a web server and present it to you. When you move away from this model the app will dismiss the view.

So the possibility is endless as this opens up indoor positioning which was never around before.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_basil View Post
Ok. So a beacon is a bluetooth transmitter. So lets say you walk into a car showroom and are close to a particular model, a push notification will appear on your device and ask if if you would like to know more information on that model. If you click yes then it will pull information from a web server and present it to you. When you move away from this model the app will dismiss the view.

So the possibility is endless as this opens up indoor positioning which was never around before.
It also seems like it could be quite invasive and upset consumers who are now essentially receiving spam.

I would only ever consider this if it was an opt in thing. If it was opt in there could be some fun experiences in museums and shops but I personally think it is a fairly limited and niche device. It is also something Joe public wouldn't be interesting but more advertisers, cause thats what it essentially is.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 AM
BlindAlbino BlindAlbino is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Default

You may try approaching mid to high end art galleries in your area. We are a collection of artists, so of course that is the first thing we thought when we saw this idea. Museums may not be quite as responsive initially, since they have more bureaucracy and often have their own systems in place for things like this. There's enough money in that market to possibly justify the costs for the gallery, and the "cool" factor is something that may entice them even beyond the intended functionality. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindAlbino View Post
You may try approaching mid to high end art galleries in your area. We are a collection of artists, so of course that is the first thing we thought when we saw this idea. Museums may not be quite as responsive initially, since they have more bureaucracy and often have their own systems in place for things like this. There's enough money in that market to possibly justify the costs for the gallery, and the "cool" factor is something that may entice them even beyond the intended functionality. Just a thought.
I work in a museum and we use those android tags (NTS?) for one of the displays we have.

I think that is really the key market for this. I still think opt in is a key. Maybe it is opt in because I have never had one of these popups on my phone.


I wonder how close and precise they can be. Like could you have 5 products in a row each with its own one.


I actually think you should reshoot with some videos showing your product being used in awesome ways, especially if you can think of personal interests in it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
BlindAlbino BlindAlbino is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
I actually think you should reshoot with some videos showing your product being used in awesome ways, especially if you can think of personal interests in it.
This, for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_basil View Post
Ok. So a beacon is a bluetooth transmitter. So lets say you walk into a car showroom and are close to a particular model, a push notification will appear on your device and ask if if you would like to know more information on that model. If you click yes then it will pull information from a web server and present it to you. When you move away from this model the app will dismiss the view.

So the possibility is endless as this opens up indoor positioning which was never around before.

I also think you should start your text on your website with what you told me just before, under Beacoin start with the above text. New product idea, so most people have no idea at all what it is.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent