★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

one week, only 85 download,please help

08-11-2009, 02:43 AM
one week, only 85 download,please help

my game is shark's treasure,ready for sale in 8.1

here is the link

here is the detail

till now, only 85 copy saled.

I sent promo code to many sites. got no reply

I gave out 20 codes here,got 5 reviews in return.(thanks)

I knew I made some mistakes,such as the grammer error in tips which will be fixed in next update.because those tips, I hide the lite version.

I want to know the truth,I thought I provide a unique gameplay experience ,

but,is it just my imagination?

is this game that bad?

can I do something to improve it?

is it totally wrong to use accelerometer to contorl?

if it worth promoting,what ealse can I do? how can I let TA to review it?

or if it worthless,should I try to move on, forget about it?

sorry for my poor english, hope you can understand me.

I just need some advise.thanks a lot
08-11-2009, 03:26 AM
We got a similar 2d game with Penguins Invasion, we put a lot of efforts to contact every major websites but only one made a review. We even offered a 100$ contest.
First week we sold only 30 units...

So with 5 reviews and 85 sales, it's bad but not thaaat bad

Making a LITE version may help your sales.

Frogames.com - Games for Mac, PC and... iOS!
TITUS - Politics is not a game available for iPhone & iPad
touch.gg - Bookmark iOS Apps & track Price Drops.

08-11-2009, 03:41 AM
your game doesn't look bad. you are just a victim of the times (welcome to the club!) There is an avalanche of software coming out these days. If your screenshots look anything short of spectacular, then it's very hard to get anyone to pay it any mind. $1.99 is the icing on the cake - anything not free instantly gets thrown in the collective "meh" pile.

all you can do is put the word out the best you can, try to make something with a great name, with impressive screenshots, make a profound effort to show a strong YouTube vid, follow up your release with a lite version and further (better quality) releases - at the very least, this is what must be done to make any impact on the iPhone scene nowadays. Simply putting together a good game and releasing it is no longer enough.

Good luck!
08-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Ugh, iphonetech78 got a code?

It's basically a description of the game and if he thought it was good or not, to be honest.

back
08-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
your game doesn't look bad. you are just a victim of the times (welcome to the club!) There is an avalanche of software coming out these days. If your screenshots look anything short of spectacular, then it's very hard to get anyone to pay it any mind. $1.99 is the icing on the cake - anything not free instantly gets thrown in the collective "meh" pile.

all you can do is put the word out the best you can, try to make something with a great name, with impressive screenshots, make a profound effort to show a strong YouTube vid, follow up your release with a lite version and further (better quality) releases - at the very least, this is what must be done to make any impact on the iPhone scene nowadays. Simply putting together a good game and releasing it is no longer enough.

Good luck!
Can't agree more with what has already been said in this thread. The App Store is just reallly crowded. A long time ago, you only need a farting app or a flashlight to make money. Now even a fully-functional polished game can't make it big because there are already many other games like it.

I think you need to either introduce something radical in the gameplay (make it more interesting somehow) or just move on to your next game. I really hope its not the latter option that you're left with

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
08-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
We got a similar 2d game with Penguins Invasion, we put a lot of efforts to contact every major websites but only one made a review. We even offered a 100$ contest.
First week we sold only 30 units...

So with 5 reviews and 85 sales, it's bad but not thaaat bad

Making a LITE version may help your sales.
lite version is in review now

your website looks great,can how about Penguins Invasion sales now,better or worse ?
08-11-2009, 05:12 AM
thanks headcaseGames and Prab

I will try to improve my game frist,make some updates,see what will happen

but somebady said,it's 50% on game,50% on marketing, is that ture?
for indev,how can I afford to do some Marketing?

or just wait lucky come to my head? I don't believe so
08-11-2009, 05:39 AM
If iphonetEchguy said it, then no, probably not. He's just a kid most likely

back
08-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwish View Post
thanks headcaseGames and Prab

I will try to improve my game frist,make some updates,see what will happen

but somebady said,it's 50% on game,50% on marketing, is that ture?
for indev,how can I afford to do some Marketing?

or just wait lucky come to my head? I don't believe so
First, I wouldn't say 50% game, 50% marketing.

More accurate would be to say:#downloads = visibility * appstoreimpression Impression includes placement in top lists, a distinctive icon/title, and your primary screenshot. User reviews are another part of that impression. Bad reviews are the mark of death, so be glad you haven't gotten any yet.

I hate to say it, but your 85 downloads in the first week may end up being your best week ever, no matter what you do on the marketing front. There are plenty of comparable games that have actually done worse than that. What kind of numbers were you expecting?

I would offer some advise:
- when looking at your game as described in the app store, it's really hard to get a sense of what the gameplay is like. It uses accelerometer, and involves dodging sharks and getting treasure, but it isn't clear if it's more of a puzzle or an arcade game.
- the graphics look ok, but they are nothing spectacular that make it stand out in the crowded appstore. The average shopper is extremely visual. A mediocre game with incredible graphics will tend to do much better than a deep game with poor graphics.
- if choose to advertise, please be careful and realistic about your expectations. You could easily spend more for adversing than you'll gain in visibility/increased downloads.
- lite version will increase visibility, but risks hurting sales of the full version if you give too much away. Lite versions are also a magnet for bad reviews
08-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
- lite version will increase visibility, but risks hurting sales of the full version if you give too much away. Lite versions are also a magnet for bad reviews
+1 on that. Lite versions are more double-edged than magical

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG