★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Apple: "the iPhone is a gaming console"

12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Apple: "the iPhone is a gaming console"

I was just responding to a thread late last night on this same subject and today this appeared on Engadget

During an ADC "iPhone Tech Talk" in San Jose, Geleynse apparently waxed excited about the potential for the handheld as a viable threat to the DS (and the PSP by proxy), calling the iPhone a "gaming console" and claiming that "it's not a phone, it's a console experience."

Link to the full article on Engadget

Last edited by CraigLaw; 12-12-2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added clarity to my intro sentence
12-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigLaw View Post
I was just responding to a thread late last night and today this appeared on Engadget

During an ADC "iPhone Tech Talk" in San Jose, Geleynse apparently waxed excited about the potential for the handheld as a viable threat to the DS (and the PSP by proxy), calling the iPhone a "gaming console" and claiming that "it's not a phone, it's a console experience."

Just to offer my personal two cents, I do believe that can be considered a "Console", however it has not rivaled the PSP in any way at all so far. PSP has muchhhhhhh better games, even better than BIA, Ferrari GT, or anything else.

DS, on the other hand, is IMO a pretty weak gaming system (They're pretty lame). Iphone/Itouch can DEFINITELY compete with a DS (HeheDShehe)

12-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I think it is, yet its more than that. It's a phone-gaming console far beyond the N-Gage. I was playing Platypus, got a call, talked for like 30 seconds, ended the call, went back to playing Platypus - easy as pie! That experience just made me appreciate the iPhone even more than normal!

There is so much opportunity and possiblity with games and apps, I can't even imagine what will be out in the next year!
12-12-2008, 11:51 PM
As a PSP and a DS owner (I also own the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii), I definitely see the gaming potential within the iPhone. Games like Hero of Sparta, Orions: Legend of the Warlords, Warfare Inc, Fieldrunners and many others have proven this.

Just to give you an idea, I rarely carry my PSP or DS anywhere anymore.
12-12-2008, 11:57 PM
You are now an iPhone gaming convert!

Plus+: Icewraithe
Tester for: Legion of Amon, 7x SECRET, many more
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Old news there Craig. But yeah, hopefully companies like EA take advantage of the iPhone's power. I'm tired of playing sudoku and brick-breaker.

@Fubit86:
I think you're confusing looks with fun seeing as how the DS outsells the PSP by a HUGE margin both here and the rest of the world.
12-13-2008, 12:13 AM
I'd say so. The iPhone has the most potential out of them all, and while it isn't traditional gaming, it will most likely turn out most successful (just like the Wii).

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
PSP is much weaker than DS, IMHO, because all their games are port of console games. It does have beautiful visuals, but there's nothing unique at all.

DS doesn't have great visuals, but it has unique games, such as Brain Training, Nintendogs, Cooking Mama, ER, Kirby, etc. Whether you like it or not, you can't deny they're unique and attract casual gamers. The sales number proves it. It's the best selling gaming console of all time.

Now if the iPhone is trying to be PSP, it will never be successful. It must have unique games - some games which set iPhone apart from other consoles and play to iPhone's strength. That's the only way iPhone can be a truly great console more long lasting than 'great visual'.
12-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Send a message via AIM to Herp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigLaw View Post
I was just responding to a thread late last night on this same subject and today this appeared on Engadget

That made me laugh. Hard.

Console quality? Not even close... yet...
12-13-2008, 01:02 AM
I think that if you are the type of person who used the DS to play Brain Age or Tetris and Super Mario was pushing your gaming threshold about as far as you cared to take it, then yes, the iPhone will more than meet your needs. But if you are like the boys in my dorm when I was in first-year university, who spent all their free time playing some sort of world-building game over the then-brand-new campus-wide Ethernet, then no, I don't think it's a console.

To me, they should be branding this as the ultimate multi-purpose device: organizer, games, music, ebooks, video all in one. I am amazed they are not leveraging the ebook angle more and are leaving it to third-party apps (Stanza, eReader) to do that. For me, this was what pushed me to get one. I could replace, with one device, my eBookwise reader, my iPod nano, my DS and my Palm handheld. In fact, I just put my DS up on Craigslist.