Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Grandpa and the Zombies (by Tivola Publishing) [Universal]

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/grandpa-zombies-take-care/id711638040?mt=8

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Looks pretty good. Might give it a whirl. Thanks for finding it. Must say that I look forward to what you find more than any other! Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
Looks pretty good. Might give it a whirl. Thanks for finding it. Must say that I look forward to what you find more than any other! Thanks!!
With the amount I post, I'm bound to get the occasional good game! This one was featured by Apple this week so I can't take the credit unfortunately but cheers
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

This definitely looks like it has potential, we need a video from sanuku!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
I agree, great finds.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Bought this game soon after it was originally released. Was attracted to the game mechanics and puzzle modes. Did not try the game until now.

Sadly, after a few levels, I am disappointed by how poorly implemented the otherwise clever mechanics are in this game.

Here are the problems:

1. Swipes don't consistently register. Since the game's score is partly dependent on the time it takes to finish level, it is essential that swipes are correctly and timely registered. They are not. Even if the player waits until both the grandpa and the monsters are all stationary, the swipes will just randomly fail. Queuing swipes is also not supported.

2. Painfully slow character animation. I understand that the player plays the grandpa on a wheelchair, but the character movements are so slow as to be entirely counterproductive. For a game with mechanics that require lots of trial and error to find the correct sequences of moves, this discourages experimentation and makes the game painful to play.

3. The early levels are already quite hard if you want to score perfect bonus in the "move" category. Yet, the game makes it extremely difficult to know exactly how many moves the player needs to solve the level. Since the number of moves likely differ between levels, the player needs to replay the level at least twice just to get a sense how close the "move" score is close to 500 (which is the perfect score). The player then has been to use this info to "estimate" the number of moves wanted by the game. Instead, the game should just put a move counter and identify explicitly the "perfect" move number for each level. This is not done at all.

4. Greedy IAP. It is obvious that the developer has put in a lot of effort in creating a robust hint system for every level. Yet, instead of making an IAP to unlock the entire system for unlimited use, the IAP is a consumable that give you a limited number of hints. If the developer wants to discourage the player from abusing the hint system, the developer can simply flag a level with an icon showing that the level was completed using hints.

5. The time bonus makes no sense for this type of game. It is a puzzle game. Once the solution is found, one can just repeat the level quickly to perfect the time bonus (notwithstanding the horrendous lag I described above).

6. Why is there no undo button? Aside from the swipe issue I described above, it punishes the player unnecessarily, having the need to replay the level from the start each time the player wants to try out a different strategy.

There are a lot of cleverness in the first dozen levels I tried, but the implementation lacks foresight and makes the game a chore to play.

Think Quell on molasses.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 01-29-2014 at 04:07 PM..