★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Latest Aurora Feint update wipes progress?

09-04-2008, 08:05 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Latest Aurora Feint update wipes progress?

I had almost finished Aurora Feint (nearly maxed out the character) before I installed the latest update, and boom! Back to the very start. If I had to pay for this game, I'd be really annoyed!

Still, the new update looks good. Animation is smoother and some new graphical candy.

I can't figure out how to turn the sound back on though? Is there an options dialog somewhere?
09-04-2008, 09:00 AM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooley View Post
I had almost finished Aurora Feint (nearly maxed out the character) before I installed the latest update, and boom! Back to the very start. If I had to pay for this game, I'd be really annoyed!

Still, the new update looks good. Animation is smoother and some new graphical candy.

I can't figure out how to turn the sound back on though? Is there an options dialog somewhere?
That's a problem of the iTunes/iPhone update process, not of the game. Take a look at what Enigmo says: http://www.pangeasoft.net/iphone/enigmo/support.html

09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooley View Post
I had almost finished Aurora Feint (nearly maxed out the character) before I installed the latest update, and boom! Back to the very start. If I had to pay for this game, I'd be really annoyed!

Still, the new update looks good. Animation is smoother and some new graphical candy.

I can't figure out how to turn the sound back on though? Is there an options dialog somewhere?
happened to me too. I talked to the Jason Citron because my normal method of installing an older version with my account info and then upgrading again was not working.

It's really rare but it was a bug in the last version that didn't save your account data correctly. The new 1.0.1.1 version has a bug where it has trouble connecting to the server as well. If you had both then you have to start over. They are trying to see what they can do about it though.

I've been saying from the very beginning that they need to have password protected accounts instead of trusting the app to handle it all. Then this stuff would never happen.
09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Cheers guys for the info.

Funnily enough I was singing AF's praises a while back when I had a corrupted backup so had to 'start from scratch' with all my games. But to my surprise AF - probably the game I'd spent most time on - was able to restore my progress from the site!

Then this time I just download an update and it wipes everything.

p.s. I found out how to activate the sound - it puts a panel in the Settings application! I had to turn the sound off and on again for it to work though.
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,484
I lost all my data in Dizzy Bee after an update once. I can't be sure if the fault lay with Dizzy Bee or with Apple's install/update process, although it definitely happened after an update to Dizzy Bee.
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Ugh. I'm one of those compulsive people who can't give up on a game until it's done, but between losing my progress when I was nearly maxed out; and the new game update which makes combos harder and thus game levels take far longer...

I think I'm losing the will to live.. It takes soooo long to level up, "grind" is the operative word. Plus, in fixing the 'stuck bricks' bug, they've added a "blocks won't match bug".
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I lost all my data in Dizzy Bee after an update once. I can't be sure if the fault lay with Dizzy Bee or with Apple's install/update process, although it definitely happened after an update to Dizzy Bee.
Did you back up your iphone or ipod touch before you updated? I'm betting you didn't.

It has to do with the way the way apple created the install, update, save process

Here is what I think is going on:

Saving a game saves the info to a file within the game.
Updating overrides data
And back up replaces data

So I have Example.ipa and within that I have Savegame.plist

Now let's say Example.ipa gets an upgrade to 2.0

Apple does not allow the addition of code, so you must download the whole thing over again

Downloading it over means you get a blank Savegame.plist, which is why all your data is gone.

Letting the system back up makes a copy of Savegame.plist so if you upgrade it will replace the blank one.


I hope that makes sense cause it seems like the only explanation.
09-10-2008, 04:00 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
As far as I understood, each app has a Documents folder in its sandbox which only this app can use. During the update process, the new application is installed besides the current application, the sandbox is magically created and the Documents folder copied or moved from the old to the new sandbox. Then the old app is removed.

However, this copying or moving is sometimes broken.
09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooley View Post
Ugh. I'm one of those compulsive people who can't give up on a game until it's done, but between losing my progress when I was nearly maxed out; and the new game update which makes combos harder and thus game levels take far longer...

I think I'm losing the will to live.. It takes soooo long to level up, "grind" is the operative word. Plus, in fixing the 'stuck bricks' bug, they've added a "blocks won't match bug".
Myself, I think the game has always been little more then a grind. Forging elements and such is a challenge, yes, but the main game is a complete bore because it is so easy and you have to play it all the time. I'm sure it gets more challenging later on, but apparently *much* later on, as I played for quite some time before I finally decided it was just too boring, and it had never gotten even remotely challenging. There was never a sense that I was on the verge of losing. It was impossible to lose. It's a well done game, but it isn't really much fun. Wildly overrated IMHO.