Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default The Enchanted Cave (by Dustin Auxier)

This is a flash game conversion. Has good ratings on Armor Games and Kongregate. More info here:

http://dustinauxier.com/the-enchanted-cave

Since Dustin is also a nice and humble guy, caring for the game, there's just one solution for me. Buying it now.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-24-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Looks like something I'd love so I bought it too, looking forward to playing this tonight! Cheers for the heads up!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I own Enchanted Cave on iPad, I take it this just an iPhone version of the same game.

Edit: I really want to see The Enchanted Cave 2 on iOS, so I'm going to buy this.

Last edited by ojtitus; 01-24-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Are the levels procedurally generated? Anyone know? Looks cool either way.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:04 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

The flash version is here to try: http://armorgames.com/play/5992/the-enchanted-cave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
I own Enchanted Cave on iPad, I take it this just an iPhone version of the same game.
If so... The Enchanted Cave iPad thread is here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71411 and says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatBar View Post
...I still found it pretty fun actually. From the screenshots the new UI for the equipment window and such look really great (much better than the flash version's). Theres also a lot of treasure and awards to earn too. Probably take awhile to get to level 100, I died several times before I even made it to level 21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatBar View Post
When you die, you restart at level 1. The only thing that carries over is any artifacts you had found (special gears) and any gold you had. You start out with the same generic gear as well. The shop has a varied assortment of gear whenever you restart, so sometimes you get a great selection but other times not so great.

As far as randomly generated levels, I'm thinking they are. The levels looked different whenever I restarted after dying. Post #5 has a gameplay video of an entire playthrough of all 100 levels btw (flash version).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
Very very basic, enemies don't move, more basic fights is impossible, apart bump into monsters or chests I haven't seen anything else to do. Ok one shop at beginning and perhaps more further. It's rogue like over simplified. Not for me.
...and offers this video of the flash edition:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

FOund this on his blog on Enchanted Cave 2, and he mentions how leves are done in the first one, "The Enchanted Cave had pseudo-random floors that were 1111 in size and chosen randomly from a pool of 200 pre-made ones."

So, there are 200 layouts and they're randomly chosen when you play. So, not really random generation, but close enough I guess. I'll try the flash version, thanks Undeadcow!

Edit: Hold on here. The iphone version seems to be made by the authentic dev (Dustin Auxier) while the Ipad version (also priced higher, at 2.99) is developed by Robots and Pencils and not updated since 2011?

I've contacted Dustin via e-mail just in case he wasn't aware of someone porting his game in 2010.

Last edited by Jorlen; 01-24-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 03:08 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Yeah, I didn't notice this wasn't a universal build until after I bought it but given the price of the other version, I'm not too worried. Helps that it's actually quite an enjoyable little game, cheers for that!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hey guys, developer here! I saw Jorlen's email and wanted to clear some things up:

I made the flash game in 2010, and shortly after struck a deal with the Robots and Pencils company you see to hand over the assets and let them make a port for the iPad for like 50% of the profit for a year. I had no experience of my own in mobile game development at the time so it seemed like a fair deal. I'm not really happy with how their version turned out though, and think the UI is pretty clunky and inefficent.

This new iPhone/Android port is totally mine, and I built the UI from the ground up with tiny screens and fat fingers in mind, along with several other improvements thrown it that were mostly suggestions from players of the flash game. I really like how the UI turned out in this version and think it plays a lot quicker and nicer than the flash version. The main goal in making this port is to get as many people interested as I can for a sequel so that I can run a successful kickstarter for the sequel and thus quit my job and go full-time indie developer .

Also I see I said that there are "200 pseudo-random floors" in that one blog post, which must have been going from fuzzy memory because from seeing the code in this port, there are just 100 floor variations. Technically 103 to include shops, treasure rooms, and the final boss. I'll go edit that post now. Oops!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Love this game. Played it first on Kongregate and then got the R&P iPad version, but hated what they did with it. Just downloaded this version and it's much better (iPad 2). Only problem is that monster HP isn't displaying. When I tap and hold a monster, the info just shows "HP /" with no numbers. This is a serious problem as it prevents accurate decision making when choosing whether or not to take on a monster. Please fix this!

By the way, The new graphics are great, and I'm glad you kept the original BGM and sound effects.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks! The hp should show if you have the eye of life. Maybe I should change the display to show ? instead of blank if you don't have the correct eye.