★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wings 2.0

12-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Wings 2.0

Wings was just updated... Now apparently more like a flight simulator rather than a useless flying around app

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294081600&mt=8

I haven't downloaded it yet so I can't attest to its gameplay, but it looks pretty cool
12-13-2008, 08:19 AM
just downloaded it. I'll report on my findings in a few...

12-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, it's definitely better, that's for sure.

The best improvement is the ability to adjust speed. Now you can go quite fast through the landscape, which is really fun. And if you have the HUD on, crashing into things cracks your "windshield" for a few seconds, which is neat.

Draw distance is still way too short though, so flying really fast loses some of its "wow" appeal.

Other than that, there are no graphical improvements, and if you don't have it already and are considering buying it, I personally would save the $2 for something else.
12-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyplay View Post
Well, it's definitely better, that's for sure.

The best improvement is the ability to adjust speed. Now you can go quite fast through the landscape, which is really fun. And if you have the HUD on, crashing into things cracks your "windshield" for a few seconds, which is neat.

Draw distance is still way too short though, so flying really fast loses some of its "wow" appeal.

Other than that, there are no graphical improvements, and if you don't have it already and are considering buying it, I personally would save the $2 for something else.
damn it! I just bought it! Oh well, like I planned, I will add my impressions of it up here in a bit. I have never played the previous version or X-Plane 9, so my opinion will be fresh for an app like this. I hope it's good..
12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Ok, I have now tried it out. I quite like it, it gives a real sense of freedom somehow. I'm not at all disappointed on spending money on it. $2.49 is such a tiny price for anything anyway, but it's well spent here. I will probably use this app when I'm in bed or just needing to relax and ease up.
Graphics wise, it falls short, so it's not a 'show off toy' or anything but.. The ease of use could well mean it could become one of those (good thing).
Only thing that's wrong with it IMO is the graphics drawing distance. I fly at full speed and there is a distinct line of non rendered nothing in the middle of my view. It's not really annoying, but definetily not a good thing. This could and should be fixed. Otherwise I actually really like this app. And for the price of a muffin, you will get just as much enjoyment out of it each time you give it a go.
12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyplay View Post
have you guys found the draw distance setting? By default it's on a lower setting. I have moved it up to high and it's a lot better. You find the setting in your devices Settings pages rather than in the app itself.
12-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
have you guys found the draw distance setting? By default it's on a lower setting. I have moved it up to high and it's a lot better. You find the setting in your devices Settings pages rather than in the app itself.
Oooooh, good catch.

You're right; the game is much better with it on the highest setting. With the added speed, it's actually tolerable now.

Well, actually scratch that. It's actually playable now!

I'm still wondering what happened to that "imprint" from the first version though...
12-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
thanks this it's heaps better

I wonder why this isn't default? It really is that much better, tho I'm on a 2G touch so the FPS might slow down a bit on the other devices.. Still LOTS better
12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
thanks this it's heaps better

I wonder why this isn't default? It really is that much better, tho I'm on a 2G touch so the FPS might slow down a bit on the other devices.. Still LOTS better
Np.

You probably answered your own question there. I'm on a 2G Touch also, and noticed a considerable (but acceptable) framerate loss. Perhaps this would be more noticeable on 1G devices.