Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Aezio26 Aezio26 is offline
Member
iPad mini 2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newark on Trent, England
Posts: 53
Default AAA titles

This is me giving my 2 cents here, but in this day of age...

We see games like dawn of plow *im not bad mouthing it* and ridiculous fishing *same goes for that one.

Why haven't we seen more games for example;

Chair releasing a new gears of war ios

EA creating a *real* full fledged dungeon keeper, not some shoddy free to play monstrosity

World of Warcraft even the older titles on the ios..

Populous the new beginning (graphically amazing)

Come on developers? can't you see the fan base would be enormous?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
originalcopy originalcopy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

What I would like to see is more full-fledged games instead of the usual ios appstore tropes, like endless runners, bird-flinging games, clash of titans clones, and candy games.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Aezio26 Aezio26 is offline
Member
iPad mini 2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newark on Trent, England
Posts: 53
Default CoC

Yeah I mean if gameloft can make nearly every game graphically outstanding, and they mostly rip other companies games.

Why can't the big boys??

Yeah endless runners/free to play/timers

Make a game like infinity blade, that will make us apple lovers reach for an ipad!!

Kick starter if needs be..take advantage of this A7 chip!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Connector Connector is offline
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Default

I too would like more console like games for my ipad. But it seems like a trend to freemium, and seems like lately on TA, flappy bird and ironpants type games get so much attention. Maybe cause most ios gamers are iphoners, not ipaders.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezio26 View Post
Why can't the big boys??
Here's what they're interested in:



There are no AAA "console experiences" on that list.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM
originalcopy originalcopy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

That list is garbage. Specially sad considering the iphone and the ipad now have console-grade cpu's that could be used for much more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
That list is garbage. Specially sad considering the iphone and the ipad now have console-grade cpu's that could be used for much more than that.
Right but the point is you can hardly fault developers for following where the majority of the dollars spent on the App Store are going. If you want AAA games, convince friends and family to shift their spending habits to buying actual games instead of playing Candy Crush. Developers will follow.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM
originalcopy originalcopy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Right but the point is you can hardly fault developers for following where the majority of the dollars spent on the App Store are going. If you want AAA games, convince friends and family to shift their spending habits to buying actual games instead of playing Candy Crush. Developers will follow.
But there is a few, more than a few AAA games on the App Store, like Kotor, GTA, Baldurs Gate, Republique etc. If there were more of these releases, or re-releases, I think people would buy them more. And I dont think it's a chicken and egg scenario, where there isnt any AAA games because there isnt demand, and there isnt a demand for them because there isnt any. If they come people will buy them. I specially believe that the Appstore is the best medium to give old AAA titles a new life. In my case specifically, im aiming to bring old-looking games with actual gameplay, to ios.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
But there is a few, more than a few AAA games on the App Store, like Kotor, GTA, Baldurs Gate, Republique etc. If there were more of these releases, or re-releases, I think people would buy them more. And I dont think it's a chicken and egg scenario, where there isnt any AAA games because there isnt demand, and there isnt a demand for them because there isnt any. If they come people will buy them. I specially believe that the Appstore is the best medium to give old AAA titles a new life. In my case specifically, im aiming to bring old-looking games with actual gameplay, to ios.
Those you mentioned are ports of well-known IPs. Republique on the other hand is what's fresh, and we dont know how successful it is yet, but from what i've seen, not much either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Bronxsta Bronxsta is offline
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,707
Default

No, I don't want more big AAA ports on IOS. Because many AAA can be uninspired and rote and trying to cram a console or PC experience onto a touchscreen device usually doesn't work out well, save for turn based games like XCOM and Frozen Synapse or platformers like Stealth Bastard

I'd rather see the developer use the power and uniqueness of the platform to create IOS exclusives that make it worthwhile to be an IOS gamer. A game like Device 6 is a wonderful step in that direction. Even now, the platform is besieged by generic freemium-heavy rip-offs and not enough developers like Frogmind and Simogo who try to deliver innovative premium experiences that take advantage of the platform's strengths.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent