★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Would Apple Approve a Lottery App?

08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Would Apple Approve a Lottery App?

I've been thinking lately about what Apple will and won't approve, and wanted to get your feedback.

Do you think Apple would accept something along the lines of an iPhone lottery? You buy the app and every week, inside the app, there is a new lotto prize (promo code, iPod, computer). Owners of the lotto application would be automatically entered in each week's raffle, and the prizes of coarse, are real.

So do you think something along these lines would make it through?

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Not sure, but I'm guessing you'd have to be a legitimate business instead of just some guy shipping stuff out of his basement. But I'm sure Apple can come up some obscure excuse

08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I would buy it :P.
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Apple would probably approve it. But the federal government would have your ass in prison and all your assets seized pretty swiftly I would imagine.
If not the feds, you'd have various states and provinces wanting a piece of you.

Hopefully this name will update soon as I requested a name change. I'm no longer affiliated with Atommo games.
08-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atommo View Post
Apple would probably approve it. But the federal government would have your ass in prison and all your assets seized pretty swiftly I would imagine.
If not the feds, you'd have various states and provinces wanting a piece of you.
For giving out promo codes and possible hardware? In a way, this has been done before in review site apps, where the give away codes in odd posts.

I don't see any real law violations. Some games have already had contests associated with them where you can win money, like when iFart was giving out a MacBook

Last edited by BulletDev; 08-12-2009 at 03:25 AM.
08-12-2009, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletDev View Post
iFart was giving out a MacBook
Oh joy.

I don't see anything about the App the Apple would reject. Of course, I am not fluent in Apple's rejection policies, but it doesn't seem to be anything horrifically terrible.
08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
I was wondering the same... like a safe cracker game, when you open the 6 digit safe, bingo, you are a winner. Here is a code and a website to claim your prize. Should be allowed, no?
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brof View Post
I was wondering the same... like a safe cracker game, when you open the 6 digit safe, bingo, you are a winner. Here is a code and a website to claim your prize. Should be allowed, no?
My gut tells me they might not allow it to be mentioned in the app or the app store description. Apple would not want to get the blame if the contest goes bad or the prize is not delivered. They do not allow any mention of donating app revenue to charity either, and for similar reasons.

*However* I can't see Apple objecting to, say, a high-score contest that your promote on your own site and in your own advertising, any more than they could object to a monkeyball high-score contest or a pac-man high score contest, as long as you don't mention it in the app store.

Contests with prizes are also governed by many different local laws - look at the fine print on a McDonalds Monopoly board for an example of how complicated this can get, if your area has such a thing.
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletDev View Post
I don't see any real law violations.
Gambling is pretty strictly regulated in many countries...you can't just decide to run your own lotto I'm afraid. There's a reason why all those promotional contests you find on candy bars and so on all have "no purchase required" clauses in small print, where you can enter for free.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
Gambling is pretty strictly regulated in many countries...you can't just decide to run your own lotto I'm afraid. There's a reason why all those promotional contests you find on candy bars and so on all have "no purchase required" clauses in small print, where you can enter for free.

--Eric
Well, don't put it as a lottery then. The app is the joining area for another website's giveaways. To be apart of www.____.com's contests, you buy the app, and your entered.