Pénombre from Empty Flask Games

01-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Pénombre from Empty Flask Games - Limbo meets Jetpack Joyride

Hello everyone,

I'm proud to announce "Pénombre", Empty Flask new game, coming Q1 2014 on IOS (and Android) Devices.

Pénombre is an endless side runner mixing fairy tale's elements with a stylized silhouette artwork.

The player controls Umbra, a little magic Witch whose goal is to reach back the safety of her house, while traversing 5 unique locations (at launch, for the first chapter). As she runs, she'll have to avoid obstacles, creatures and traps by performing well timed jump and pick-up spells and souls to help her out.

One of the unique gameplay elements of "Pénombre" is that Umbra also lights her way against the "Pénombre" with a magic light spell.
When she gets hurt, she loses life, but will also lose a small amount of magic light. In game, this reflects in having a smaller range of vision, making it difficult to see incoming obstacles.

Umbra has however a small inventory of spells that can be purchased/upgraded with collected souls and triggered when picked up. For example, Umbra can turn into a Werewolf and become immune to certain obstacles, or slow down time and regenerate life.

At start, only the first location is available and unlocking the next levels will require to reach a certain distance within each level.

The 5 levels all feature a different theme and introduce new creatures and obstacles along the way. They also offer greater challenge with a greater distance to achieve.

Finally, when a level unlocks, Infinite mode unlocks so the player can replay the level and try to beat its highscore.

Some screenshots for the different locations:

Here is an animated gif from Umbra running:

There are also 2 special levels where Umbra is riding her Magic Broom (using device Gyro). These levels offer a large amount of souls, but are also pretty challenging.

Here is an animated for Umbra on her Magic Broom:

And finally, some screenshots from the game, and creatures you'll encounter. More will come as I update the levels.

2/1 screenshots update:

Umbra when she turns into a WereWolf:

Monsters from other levels:

Tried to get a "Jason and the Argonauts" skeleton look

Last edited by EFGames; 02-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
EFG = instabuy.

02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Holy cow those monsters are creepy
02-01-2014, 09:05 AM
The art style looks amazing and all the monsters are so creative and well designed. I can't wait to try it!
02-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the good words guy

Updated the first post with new screenshots and more creatures animated gif.

Also added the "werewolf" sprites when Umbra transforms into it.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I'd love to get some beta testers for the game.

I'm tweaking little stuff but would love to have players feedback so I can improve the game before submission.
02-03-2014, 08:54 AM
If anyone else is interested to "beta" test the game, shoot me an email at contact@emptyflaskgames.com

android users are welcome too.
02-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
If anyone else is interested to "beta" test the game, shoot me an email at contact@emptyflaskgames.com

When the beta will begin?

Game Center ID: copaeci
02-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post

email sent - Id be interested in a beta test
02-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Beautiful & eerie at the same time.
Wonderful looking game!