Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 4.x

Default Cloudbreakers (by Jan Tomik)

Hi there! I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jan Tomasik and I worked as lead level designer at Disney Mobile on the games like Toy Story Smash It!, Tron, Thor or the upcoming SW: CCG.
Few months ago I left my well paid job and started looking for other job. Why? Because I didn't want to participate anymore in creating content that would be monetized the way Disney's executives decided to. Those who played Where's my Water 2 and experienced horrendous monetization systems it contains know what I am talking about.

So my girlfriend and I decided to conduct a little experiment and developed a small game that tries to capture the essence and fun of endless runners games, but lack any of the thing we thought are unfair to players.

And we developed Cloudbreakers.
  • Game that plays like endless runner, but can be finished and won.
  • Is approachable and easy to play, but unforgiving and challenging.
  • Doesn't rip off likeness or mechanics of other successful games, but instead offers unique game mechanic.
  • Has unlockable characters that CANNOT be purchased.
  • DOES NOT contain in app purchases.
  • DOES NOT bother you with notifications and advertisements.
  • DOES NOT force you buy HD version for iPad
  • And instead of pretending to be free, costs one dollar, but that's all you'll ever pay.

+ game trailer

This is something we probably wouldn't be able to greenlight at Disney and everyone would laugh at us. But we are believers. We honestly think that there's still enough people willing to play such game. That would gladly pay one dollar to get rid off all this freemium nonsense.

So here we are, asking for your attention and support, because we don't want to pay for reviews either. As I said - it was an experiment, whether you can still do things the right way and survive.

So if you would kindly take a look at our game and give it a try or spread the word at least, we'd be really grateful.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

UPDATE:
We've also registered twitter account, so if you want to keep in contact and know how will our experiment turns out, feel free to follow us there: [!https://twitter.com/nostalgiadev]htt...m/nostalgiadev

UPDATE#2:
We've added demo version playable in web browser. All you need is unity plugin (but i hope it's by default in every browser) http://touchtronicarcade.cz/

Last edited by nostalgia dev.; 02-14-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm loving the honesty and I really like the look of the game so I'm in!

Edit:

What a wonderful game!
It's easy to be cynical when a developer makes all the perfect promises, somehow I imagine we have politicians to thank for that. But this game is everything that was promised wrapped up in a little sweet bow for any family member to enjoy. I'm absolutely amazed that Disney wouldn't want to sink its claws into this - the possibilities of marketing and promoting new films with playable characters would have been huge. Thankfully, they haven't and we're left with a throwback to the good old days of iOS gaming; where you bought a game and just played it.

As for the game itself, it's a really nice endless climber with controls in the vein of Swing the Bat where you control a hapless mountain climber that has to propel themselves upwards by swinging from varius rocky outcroppings. There are all the usual obstacles, collectibles and hazards and in a way, it is the games familiarity that is one of its greatest strengths. We're so used to these games being monetised that you play them to grind rather than to challenge your highscore. Cloudbreakers is generous to a fault with the currency, the first character you unlock is a coin doubler and even without that you'll find far more than enough if you make use of the special gold blocks. It comes down to the pure score chasing gameplay that inspired the genre in the first place. That said, Game Centre is sorely missing for me and I imagine a few others.

It all feels very Disney too; the first area reminds me of Up, the second of Hercules and so on with characters akin to the citizens of the Disney Infinity ToyBox. I'm not trying to suggest a lack of originality; more that this is what could be made if we had our way and it feels so good! Everything down to the theme song is pitched perfectly as a family-friendly game that really deserves to be held in front of every major iOS gaming company as an epitome of what I want to see. I don't mean to sound critical when I say it's nothing ground-breaking, but it is ironically a breath of fresh air and a developer that I will be watching out for from now on.

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 02-03-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Bought. Hopefully the game is a success.

Last edited by Quazonk; 02-03-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 4.x

Thank you both! We should probably do something about this dick situation, although it's well known fact that sex sells)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

To the dev: do you have a trailer or gameplay vid to show off the game a bit?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 4.x

No yet, we was caught unprepared by really fast submission process to be honest, but I'll try to provide some actual gameplay footage as soon as possible.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazonk View Post
Bought. Hopefully the game is a success.

My girlfriend just pointed out that the icon looks kinda like a dick n' balls with legs. Hard to disagree.
That's all I can see now...thanks!

Edited my post with impressions, thank you for this lovely game!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Edited my post with impressions, thank you for this lovely game!
Last month I spent about $xxx.xx at the AppStore on various sundry items, so I wanted to significantly cut down on purchases this month. However, your impressions were enough for me to pull the trigger.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm rooting for you brotha!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

So this plays like Hanger but vertical and "endless"? By that I mean, physics-based grappling hook style gameplay?