★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fans of Freemium Games

02-04-2014, 12:03 AM
#1
Fans of Freemium Games

anyone who is neutral (like me) to freemium games are welcome. freemium haters, please keep your distance. keep in mind that I'm not against non-freemium games. if anyone is against non-freemium games (like the ones in TA articles) then they shouldn't be here.

I wanna know if anyone here is a fan of freemium games wether is popular or unpopular? the reason I'm asking because some people aren't aware about them especially for the fan arts
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
#2
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,081
I'm a fan of the games, not the pay model. It just so happens a lot of freemium games have atrocious pay walls, premium-only items aka pay-to-win, long energy meters, TIMERS, absurd prices, in-your-face social features, scanty inflow of currency, shallow gameplay, or often require a constant internet connection.

But, there are some that are fair despite having some of those features. I leave myself open to try out free-to-download games because some are actually decent. Somehow, I've stuck to Spirit Stones. I love Pocket Avenger. Phoenix HD is a blast (bought all the ships). Asphalt 8 (which I paid for day 1) is an absolute gem.

To name some more,

Quadropus Rampage
Nimble Quest
Cardinal Quest 2
Punch Quest
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Tap & Blast
Yukon Warrior

Free-to-download games with full game unlocks are technically freemium but they just don't feel like the same pay model as the ones above.

Last edited by Echoen; 02-04-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typos

02-04-2014, 02:18 AM
#3
I personally need at least 1 freemium timer based game in my device at all times as long as there are no paywalls and is playable offline.
02-04-2014, 02:55 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,470
Freemium is one thing, i've 'kinda' accepted them as devs need to make money and sadly people seem to buy lots of IAP's

But timers ? Why would anyone want timers ? Ridiculous
02-04-2014, 03:12 AM
#5
As I said, I kinda like having a timer based game on my device. It's just a good distraction.
02-04-2014, 03:15 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
As I said, I kinda like having a timer based game on my device. It's just a good distraction.
Why ?

Are we talking about the same thing. A timer based game is one where it basically dictates when you can play it, you play it for 30 mins then it says 'you've run out of energy, either buy some more or come back in 1 hour...' ? Is that really good ?

If i've got an app which basically tells me when i can/cant play i'll simply play something else and delete it. If i've invested in app, bought some IAP's and then this app dictates when i can/cant play then thats terrible. How is that good?
02-04-2014, 03:39 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 19,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
I'm a fan of the games, not the pay model. It just so happens a lot of freemium games have atrocious pay walls, premium-only items aka pay-to-win, long energy meters, TIMERS, absurd prices, in-your-face social features, scanty inflow of currency, shallow gameplay, or often require a constant internet connection.

But, there are some that are fair despite having some of those features. I leave myself open to try out free-to-download games because some are actually decent. Somehow, I've stuck to Spirit Stones. I love Pocket Avenger. Phoenix HD is a blast (bought all the ships). Asphalt 8 (which I paid for day 1) is an absolute gem.

To name some more,

Quadropus Rampage
Nimble Quest
Cardinal Quest 2
Punch Quest
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Tap & Blast
Yukon Warrior

Free-to-download games with full game unlocks are technically freemium but they just don't feel like the same pay model as the ones above.
To add to this great list of freemium titles...

Temple Run 2
Run N Gun
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Into The Dead
Dead Ahead
Zombie Tsunami
Aurum Blade
Stone Of Life
Zen Pinball
Atomic Fusion
Block Block Block
Asphalt 8
Drakerider
Heroes & Castles Free
Saturday Morning RPG
Super Monsters Ate My Condo
Scurvy Scallywags
02-04-2014, 05:39 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 1,442
Why is there basic F2P? Some of these games are just free. That's not true Freemuim. We're talking about EA and crap like Real money grabber Racing 3.
02-04-2014, 06:00 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
I'm a fan of the games, not the pay model. It just so happens a lot of freemium games have atrocious pay walls, premium-only items aka pay-to-win, long energy meters, TIMERS, absurd prices, in-your-face social features, scanty inflow of currency, shallow gameplay, or often require a constant internet connection.

But, there are some that are fair despite having some of those features. I leave myself open to try out free-to-download games because some are actually decent. Somehow, I've stuck to Spirit Stones. I love Pocket Avenger. Phoenix HD is a blast (bought all the ships). Asphalt 8 (which I paid for day 1) is an absolute gem.

To name some more,

Quadropus Rampage
Nimble Quest
Cardinal Quest 2
Punch Quest
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Tap & Blast
Yukon Warrior

Free-to-download games with full game unlocks are technically freemium but they just don't feel like the same pay model as the ones above.
I also don't like timers and energies but I still play them. in the past I avoided online games after that I decided to try them. one of the game like Lost Raider have timers despite begin a paid game.

btw does Asphalt 8 have timers when it became free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
I personally need at least 1 freemium timer based game in my device at all times as long as there are no paywalls and is playable offline.
I have more than 1 ;P sometimes paywalls can bother me, I would punch the paywalls instead of pressing X button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
Why is there basic F2P? Some of these games are just free. That's not true Freemuim. We're talking about EA and crap like Real money grabber Racing 3.
let's just forget about EA's freemium games for a while
02-04-2014, 06:04 AM
#10
There is really two types of freemium games, the type where you pay a fee to unlock the full game, and the type where you use consumable IAP.
I don't really believe anyone could hate the first option, it's basically just a "lite" it's great to be able to have a little taste test of the game before shelling out cash, so I think that is actually wonderful.
Now moving onto the second freemium scheme..
If it is done tastefully is completely okay with me.

A couple freemium games I believe are fair with their IAP model-

Tiny tower - you can earn bux without IAP
Growtopia- you can earn gems and coins without IAP
Dragonvale- as above.


There are many freemium games that allow paid currency to be harvested without spending cash, it's these games I believe are fair and tasteful. As long as earning said currency isn't absolutely tedious and slow.. All games I listed are quite generous with their currencies and in turn, that's why I spent cash on them and allowed myself to play them.
If I play a freemie and the IAP scheme is atrocious I immediately delete the app. I don't want to get addicted to something that'll cost me a lot of money.
And the principle of the matter.


It's sad that freemium games have such a stigma, they can actually be thoroughly enjoyable and you can get hundreds of hours of play time for absolutely nothing. I know some people have played hundreds of hours of growtopia without spending a cent, where else can you get that a org of entertainment?

The only thing better than paying 99c for a full game with no IAP, is paying NOTHING for a great game with no IAP. There's definitely a bunch of completely free games on the AppStore, without ads, Manyland is one of them, I've come across more but can't think right now.


It really messes up the saying "you get what you pay for" you can get great software for free/cheap, but anything physical, that quote is still quite accurate.

Currently addicted to: Duet game, Threes, Tengami, Oquonie, Platforms Unlimited, Perloo, Wave Wave