Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Rogue Resources (by Tyler Ruetz)

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 02-10-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Not a fan of those graphics but the idea sounds cool.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I got an early promo code from a contest on this forum and have enjoyed playing Rogue Resources. It's a series of small real time strategy game levels that become increasingly difficult. Levels are randomized.

You control blue cubes by dragging them in line drawing fashion to objectives. Double tap cubes to pull up a construction menu - there are types of resources you need to play your cube next to then construct an appropriate "mine". The user interface is really smooth one you become accustomed to it but it's not conventional (in a good way) so took me some practice, to chose a construction option just slide a tab over to the right and the unit immediately morphs into the building. I don't think there's anyway to undo a building once constructed. Alternative, for combat you can double tap your cube to construct a gun torrent. There are also crate drops containing resources (which can represent challenges too by forcing you to diver units from other acquisitions/conflict). Crates also obstruct movement, tap to collect. Resources seem to carry over from one level to the next. There is a blue spire serving as a base that you can create new units from. Also, the developer probably could of slapped together a public domain spirte set and called it a day like many conventional iOS roguelikes so I at least admire the attempt at originality.

The difficulty curve is nice, so far I've found myself fighting red enemy squares more than worrying about resources. Enemies are red squares with 4 parts representing their health (each quadrant is one hit point) that you must built torrents to fight. Pesky red squares can be fast and strong. You can build torrents to defend your base spire or approach enemy bases and construct a gun tower to take adversary base down.

When you die there is permadeath and restarting at the beginning. Each level is fast paced so it feels like your quickly advancing through them and there are lots of micro-challenges. The soundtrack is not containing lots of detailed chiptunes. Rogue Resources is easily worth $1.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Not a fan of those graphics but the idea sounds cool.
Initially I was unsure of the art design but it's simple and works well. It looks a tad like programmer art but seeing your unit just morph into buildings and the blue cube being an abstract representation of any possible building you could make it works. Levels are clear and easy to navigate with the art design when with 4 resources scattered across the maps it could otherwise seem cluttered.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-05-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Wow this looks. Freggin weird lol. But, I'm a sucker for the genre, or hybrids of them, so I'll buy it if only to support the dev.

As a rule I buy any roguelike on IOS that's not terrible. I've played most too, I just can't get enough of them.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Official Trailer

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
...As a rule I buy any roguelike on IOS that's not terrible. I've played most too, I just can't get enough of them.
I like roguelikes too and enjoy Rogue Resources but it's far removed from typical iOS roguelikes. There's no world exploration or loot. Rogue Resources does have permadeath, unlockable upgrades, and increasingly difficult floors like typical roguelikes but the gameplay is primarily line drawing controlled tactical real time strategy.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Doesn't seem like much of a roguelike at all, I can see the strategy tho. Being a whore of the genre, it'll be hard to pass up. Thanks for the imps undeadcow.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM

To add to earlier impressions:

Each level has a timer (depleting white line at bottom of screen) and you are defeated if you don't crush the enemy before that time so there's a time pressure component.

The graphics are isometric 3D but there's no way to swivel the screen that I could see.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Will buy this.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Also will buy tonight. Looks like an interesting genre mashup with a unique art style.