Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Default Buttons vs Touchscreen

I've always preferred handheld / mobile gaming over big console gaming. Mostly for 2 reasons:
1 - I like RPG's & SRPG's and handheld / mobile gaming devices are home to many of the best.
2 - I like curling up on the couch or in bed with and epic RPG on a handheld. Not sure why I like this better than Gaming on my HDTV, but i do.

Lately, I've been digging into some of the amazing RPG's that are on IOS. I've always thought that RPG's, SRPGs & strategy games were perfect for the touchscreen -- until lately.

I'm realizing that constantly moving my hands around the ipad touch screen for menu / grid based games is pretty tiresome and a bit annoying when your goal is to wind down and relax. Yesterday I fired up a great 3DS game (Fire Emblem Awakening) and realized that buttons make a HUGE difference -- Even for a menu / grid based SRPg. My hands are in the same place all the time and I can buzz through menu's and such much easier.

Even with so many great games now available on iOS, Im still gravitating to my handheld console devices (3DS for me) because of the buttons (and games of course).

Anyone else still preferring buttons over the touch screen even for menu based games?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by donner View Post
I've always preferred handheld / mobile gaming over big console gaming. Mostly for 2 reasons:
1 - I like RPG's & SRPG's and handheld / mobile gaming devices are home to many of the best.
2 - I like curling up on the couch or in bed with and epic RPG on a handheld. Not sure why I like this better than Gaming on my HDTV, but i do.

Lately, I've been digging into some of the amazing RPG's that are on IOS. I've always thought that RPG's, SRPGs & strategy games were perfect for the touchscreen -- until lately.

I'm realizing that constantly moving my hands around the ipad touch screen for menu / grid based games is pretty tiresome and a bit annoying when your goal is to wind down and relax. Yesterday I fired up a great 3DS game (Fire Emblem Awakening) and realized that buttons make a HUGE difference -- Even for a menu / grid based SRPg. My hands are in the same place all the time and I can buzz through menu's and such much easier.

Even with so many great games now available on iOS, Im still gravitating to my handheld console devices (3DS for me) because of the buttons (and games of course).

Anyone else still preferring buttons over the touch screen even for menu based games?
Depends on the games. I've been able to get engrossed in touchscreen games, though I admit for most RPGs, it doesn't improve things.

iOS game controllers really go a long way to fixing things, though. Oceanhorn and Across Age 2 feel really, really good with a controller.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM

"Mouse and keyboard is the best."

I'm not sure, I do console and iOS gaming, and I can't decide which I prefer. They're pretty even in my book, each with advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I like touch better overall, but some games like street fighters and the such beed a joystick. But touch is great.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Hmmm...I haven't used a controller in months, now that I primarily only play IOS and PC. I like touchscreen's instant response and versatility (since controls can be anything, from sliders to d-pads to multi-touch), but I feel that KB/M is more accurate and useful for more complex games due to how many keys are available

Controllers are the most comfortable though
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM

I stopped playing XCOM on the iPad because the controls were so clunky, particularly with rotating and panning/zooming the camera. For me, it ruined what was otherwise stellar gameplay. I bought it instead for the Xbox 360 and having buttons made all the difference.

I've been playing Fire Emblem on and off since it came out and absolutely love it. Still haven't finished but have about 90 hours into a campaign. I never imagined going in that unlocking the support conversations and marrying off characters would be such a big part of the fun. That game seems like it would work well without buttons since you don't have to change the angle.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

When I first got an ios device I was constantly moaning about not having physical buttons.

Eventually I got used to touch screen buttons and now I love it. Completed many games with touch screen controls, a few games I like using my 8-bitty joystick but the vast majority I'm fine with touch screen.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 8.x

For me, it
really depends on the game itself.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen)

It really depends on the game. X-COM works great with touch controls (or anything that is a puzzle or strategy game), but for 3D action games like GTA SA, I prefer a controller any day.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Depends on the games.

For strategy games i generally prefer the touch screen. Moving units around by touching or dragging them just felt more natural than using a cursor controlled by either a dpad or an analog stick, or even a mouse. Even card games like Magic 2014 just feels a lot smoother with touch controls than the mouse, and Playdek games are fantastic on the touchscreen.

As for 3D shooters like FPS, 3DS and behind the back space combat sim, nothing beats the control precision provided by a mouse. The mouse is the "relative touch" of aiming in a 3D shooter.

For precision timing required for platformers, physical buttons are king. You cant analog stick your way through Super Meat Boy, and the virtual buttons on the touchscreen will be a bit lacking as compared with having a physical controller.
for games like Rogue Legacy.

Of course, there are games that are specific only to a certain controller type, like Infinity Blade's swipe-based system which comes natural to the touchscreen.