Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Default Fossil Swap (by Io Normal)

Fossil Swap is a new match-3 puzzle game from Io Normal which is not only fun to play, but also features innovative Pay-To-Own™ monetization.

With one simple out-of-app macrotransaction, players can actually own the game forever! Conor O'Kane, director at Io Normal says "We know that gamers these days want to be able to spend hundreds of dollars on worthless in-game currencies, and that they enjoy having the option of not playing for hours on end while their game recharges its 'energy', but here at Io Normal we think there might be another way to play. We're calling it Pay-To-Own™, and it lets players purchase a game once, and then play it as often as they like. Of course, seeing highly skilled players at the top of the leaderboard instead of players who simply spent more money on the game, will come as a shock to many, but we're confident this new style of gaming is the future and that players will quickly adapt to being free to play whenever they want without having to wait or make an additional purchase."

Trailer on YouTube:

Play Fossil Swap for free in your browser at http://fossilswap.com

[Update] - The free version of Fossil Swap is now available. Get it here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id796270231?mt=8

Fossil Swap Free is identical to the paid version, there's no time limit or locked features. It just shows occasional ads.

Last edited by monoRAIL; 02-25-2014 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Link to free version
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Many thanks. I took 47W9TXAEKTMK. I love good match 3 games, and this is one of them. I've only played practice mode, which is more my pace! The graphics are excellent, and the gameplay and game mechanics are similar to other match 3 games - in a good way! I recommend getting this if you like match 3 games! And the one purchase transaction - all I can say is kudos to the devs, I have a high respect for them for not polluting the game with freemium!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm the developer of Fossil Swap, if anyone has any questions about it please feel free to ask me.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

The game looks good, may have to get it to replace bejeweled which has been on the phone forever.

Last edited by Red1; 02-08-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've played a bit of your lite version but am curious how it differs from the full version?

While a huge fan of lite preview versions of games, I personally wish more devs would make the differences between the lite and full versions clear up front, both in the game description and perhaps in the game's main menu (even if a little button in the corner saying "Get the Full Version" which then takes you to a page detailing what additional features are in the full version and a link to said product).

I appreciate that you don't pester the player with a lot of "Upgrade Now" nonsense, but I HATE playing a free game to then get the "to continue further..." message in a game without warning.

Oh, and maybe you have very intentional design reasons for not doing so, but wouldn't it be nice to reward a player at the end of level for time left on the clock and maybe a bonus based on the highest chain achieved (since you clearly track it)?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Played the lite yesterday and was lucky to grab the second code today.
Thank you very much.
I need to get back my ipad mini (again), because on iphone 5 the screen is a bit too small for this game. But it worked out for me with a stylus.

Hilarious:
With one simple out-of-app macrotransaction, players can literally purchase the game forever! Conor O'Kane, director at Io Normal says "We know that gamers these days want to be able to spend hundreds of dollars on worthless in-game currencies, and that they enjoy having the option of not playing for hours on end while their game recharges its 'energy', but here at Io Normal we think there might be another way to play. We're calling it Pay-To-Own™, and it lets players purchase a game once, and then play it as often as they like. Of course, seeing highly skilled players at the top of the leaderboard instead of players who simply spent more money on the game, will come as a shock to many, but we're confident this new style of gaming is the future and that players will quickly adapt to being free to play whenever they want without having to wait or make an additional purchase."

Thanks for letting me rofl !
Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM

LordGek - the free version is the same as the paid vision, there's no missing features. However it's supposed to show ads occasionally which isn't working so I've pulled it from the App Store temporarily while I fix that.

Qwertz555 - it's really designed for iPad primarily. I considered reducing the number of rows to fit better on the phone screen, but then I'd have to separate the leaderboards as you'd get lower scores on phone. I the end I decided against that as it's nice to have all players ranked on the same leaderboards.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Just wanted to drop by and give some Kudos to the developer for this one. The experience is very slick and polished and I'm really enjoying it. For what it's worth, it runs really well on my old hardware (iPhone 4) - something that is becoming increasingly less common.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 AM

Thanks Benholio. I actually made the game targeting iPad 1, so an iPhone 4 should run it quite well. iPad 1 owners are really left out these days!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I tried it on my iPod touch 5th gen as well and runs quite fine. Obviously it benefits being on a bigger screen, but still no less playable.