Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
SuperRockGames SuperRockGames is offline
Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 59
Default PewDiePie - an upper cut to the chin of every developer

Apologies for the controversial heading Better than "The Rise Of The Video Game Commentator On YouTube"

Things have changed. I think Flappy Bird is a milestone for both the App Store and YouTube. It seems as if YouTube video game commentators can choose which game to make successful. They could also be paid to choose a particular developers app.

They must be aware of this and its probably a part of their revenue model. In which case its whoever has the most money that gets featured. Which brings us full circle to game development as it was before the App Store and mobile gaming. Publishers doing deals with platforms and retailers. Developers an after thought.

I personally think that YouTube video game commentators should have to declare when they have been paid to "play" a game.

Maybe as small developers we should factor in a "YouTube video game commentator" budget?

Its definitely not as random as it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 PM
R3v's Avatar
R3v R3v is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Default

PewDiePie has a little to do with Flappy Bird's success. The game itself was storming charts in US since December and no one knows why. One day before PewDiePie released his video, the game was already N1 in US and UK.



On the other hand, PewDiePie definitely helped to finish the job, as well as TouchArcade. They both published a story about Flappy Bird on Jan 27.

I'm currently writing deconstruction of Flappy's success, gonna post it tommorow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Stingman Stingman is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 164
Default

R3v,

You are right about Flappy Bird, but SuperRockGames has a point :

If you can afford PewDiePie's fees then you can rocket up the charts. I actually studied apps he promoted and even the very crappy looking ones shot up the charts. Both paid and free games. PewDiePie is a guarantee to shoot up the charts: plain and simple. Every single game he promoted has done so in the App Store. But his services don't come cheap. I even contacted him but did not end up using his services. With that said he is not the only way to skyrocket up the charts. There are other services out there that have contacted me about our upcoming game that "Guarantee #1 Spots." I won't name them because that's not how I do business, but once again I declined the offers. Some things seem very scammy or not legit. In the end it's just business and those that can afford such services may come out ahead, even temporarily.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
R3v's Avatar
R3v R3v is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingman View Post
But his services don't come cheap. I even contacted him but did not end up using his services. With that said he is not the only way to skyrocket up the charts. There are other services out there that have contacted me about our upcoming game that "Guarantee #1 Spots." I won't name them because that's not how I do business, but once again I declined the offers. Some things seem very scammy or not legit. In the end it's just business and those that can afford such services may come out ahead, even temporarily.
How much did he ask for? You don't have to say exact number, just some range for example. Was it over 10k?

I suppose that by "Guarantee #1 Spots" you mean services as AppoDay? However, to my knowledge you can pull out such burst campaign with any of the top traffic guys like Chartboost, AppLift or PlayHaven.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
I personally think that YouTube video game commentators should have to declare when they have been paid to "play" a game.
The millions of people who watch his videos couldn't possibly care less if someone paid him or not because they're watching it for the performance of a PewDiePie video. The game itself is almost irrelevant. Something a lot of people who don't understand YouTubers also don't understand is the reason they have power is because they have so much reach. It's no different from buying advertising, you pay a premium to advertise during the Super Bowl when there's millions of people watching just like you pay a premium to have a YouTuber do something with your game that has millions of people subscribed to them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Stingman Stingman is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 164
Default

R3v,

$10k doesn't even come close to his fees. It's much higher. Hopefully that helps. I know he's negotiable but he charges a lot. And understandably so. His following is real and you will generate results.

As far as what Eli said: he's dead on. It's just another form of advertising. Whether its paid promo or not, his viewers will be interested because of who he is and the performance he gives. He has a following for a reason. Now although his services will guarantee you a huge boost up the ranks does not mean you will stay there. If your game or app is crap then crap will ultimately fall back to the bottom where it belongs. But then again that could all be in the eye of the beholder as crap can be different to everyone.

Anyhow, something similar to Appoday I guess would be comporable. There are lots of those out there. I just don't know if many are trustworthy or worth it and the last thing I want to do is get banned from the App Store for taking a chance with something I thought was shady in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 AM
SuperRockGames SuperRockGames is offline
Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 59
Default

@R3v - this does not mean he didn't use other lesser know YouTube video commentors. Do a search on YouTube for flappy bird but set your filter to older search results. You will find YouTube videos in the high 10,000's.

@Stingman - Wow!! more than $10k to get a review by PewDiePie. I am guessing it is around $50k as that is what is being reported as flappy birds daily income. That's not bad! Pay $50k. Get PewDiePie review. Make $50k daily.

Last edited by SuperRockGames; 02-10-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Ovogame's Avatar
Ovogame Ovogame is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Morestel, France
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
That's not bad! Pay $50k. Get PewDiePie review. Make $50k daily.
Absolutely not. Getting reviewed by anyone would not guaranty a Flappy Bird success. So, you pay and cross finger you do get your investment back.

JC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 AM
SuperRockGames SuperRockGames is offline
Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The millions of people who watch his videos couldn't possibly care less if someone paid him or not because they're watching it for the performance of a PewDiePie video. The game itself is almost irrelevant. Something a lot of people who don't understand YouTubers also don't understand is the reason they have power is because they have so much reach. It's no different from buying advertising, you pay a premium to advertise during the Super Bowl when there's millions of people watching just like you pay a premium to have a YouTuber do something with your game that has millions of people subscribed to them.
I was listening to a recent TA podcast and I remember that you spent a lot of time talking about PIKPOK's Flick Football Legend, it was obviously a paid endorsement but not openly declared. http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/22/the-toucharcade-show-131-a-virtual-pet-cage-match/

It was stilted, forced and managed. And really deteriorated that show. I remember Mike Mead even commenting on it. "Are you guys done with your infomercial for flick kick football!!" Listen to minute 37:50!!! on that podcast.

Usually you guys talk about games you like or have no problems talking about enthusiastically.

I am all for paying the bills with advertisements but just be open about it being an endorsement. Like when you say a show is sponsored by someone. Don't slip it into the main content of the show if it doesn't fit.

I think it is hard to chastise people for cloning a game or using bot farms when taking part in under the table endorsements.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
I was listening to a recent TA podcast and I remember that you spent a lot of time talking about PIKPOK's Flick Football Legend, it was obviously a paid endorsement but not openly declared. http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/22/the-toucharcade-show-131-a-virtual-pet-cage-match/

It was stilted, forced and managed. And really deteriorated that show. I remember Mike Mead even commenting on it. "Are you guys done with your infomercial for flick kick football!!" Listen to minute 37:50!!! on that podcast.

Usually you guys talk about games you like or have no problems talking about enthusiastically.

I am all for paying the bills with advertisements but just be open about it being an endorsement. Like when you say a show is sponsored by someone. Don't slip it into the main content of the show if it doesn't fit.

I think it is hard to chastise people for cloning a game or using bot farms when taking part in under the table endorsements.
http://toucharcade.com/toucharcade-a...rial-policies/
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent