Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 AM

Default True Innovation is to Risk everything. Please let us create a game!

Hello to the Community,

I'm Simeon. I believe that everyone has the power to take over this world and make it our own. For me, making things different than better is a step toward true innovation. All I see in the gaming community (especially mobile) are developers rambling on about how great and better their game is. How their games include innovative features that will "change the way you play." They always focus on being the best and the highest. I'm not going to say that this is good, even a little, for their case. They focus on being the highest in such a small area of the industry (or life). Which is why the mobile gaming market spaces are also known as a place where hipster games are created and S**T is made, although for a few exceptions . I believe that True innovation happens when a team of developers risk EVERYTHING for something they believe in. When they continue, brutally, to focus everything on the customer and the player's perspective, they will begin to understand that technology has to be created from this perspective, although tough, but in the end it advances us forward.

My first game that introduced me to how a game works was the first Unreal game from Epic Games. I played around with the engine and my imagination was released, even though I had no clue what I was doing. Fly mode and summoning an army of Skarrj Warriors against the peaceful Nalis became my hours of virtual genocide. Before I request something from you all, I want to state that I am not an experience game developer. However, I do share the same attention to detail and passion for creating a fantastic game and story and vision as those who do. I love Shenmue. (That was just... I just wanted to write that little expression for my Luuuuuuuv.)

Okay, right to what it is I want to request from you all. You all don't know me, but hopefully we all share the same vision and passion for games. As of now, I am working as a consultant (Title: Game Operator, although the position description is so much more=) in a game department in Shanghai. I get to pretty much create a game I believe that will "be profitable" in the western markets. Now, as I utilize my position as a consultant to make these "profitable" games, I can create amazing games with the team here. Today I take some inspiration from Flappy Bird. Simple game with no complexity and only relies on skill. I would like to create a game that is designed with simplicity with all the technical complexities underneath and create a focus on the core of what the game is about and, like Flappy Bird, relies solely on skill.

I believe before I begin to brainstorm for a game idea, I focus all my attention on the customers wants and needs. I believe that the customer knows what kind of game they want. For example, people know what sort of gameplay mechanics works best on a touch screen, they know somethings they want to see in a game to immerse them into a great story or combat. They know what sort of multiplayer aspects they want. Customers know they want convenient and simple features in a game that allows them to play with ease while so many complex things happen in the game. On the other hand, customers don't know what game they want to play. That is why it is up to the developers to come up with a new game universe. Am I correct? Personally, I know what sort of play style I want on the phone and some features I want that hasn't yet been featured on a touch screen. But I don't know exactly what game I would like to play, particularly on a phone.

From this understanding, I can think of what needs to be created (invented) in order to give people what they want and more than they expected. However I am not an exprieixned developer so I need the help and advice of the Community.

I would like to know what you all want from mobile gaming. We are going to create a mobile game regardless (rather, they will) so I want to listen to what everyone who reads this has to say. This is a serious post from me and I am always open to anything. Note that our Developing Dept. is quite a young one and we are a branch off of a large Advertising Company. Although the CEO does have the last say, he will still be considering my suggestions and especially if he can see the reaction of people here, things will happen how we want them to. I believe (I could be wrong) the CEO of this company follows the money, completely. I'm a creative person so I believe that money will always be a result of the business that you genuinely love to do. And they don't give the gaming dept. a lot of money, we still have a big enough team of about 12 people. We have android and iOS coders and artists. Story, Gameplay, Mechanics, Everything Else relies on me and some managers. This could be a great chance to create something amazing. Thank you.

I will be listening.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Well, you are asking a very difficult question. I know what I want from a mobile game, but sometimes developers create a game that nobody thinks it could work in mobiles (even me), but... it does!

This is what I expect from a mobile game:
- I really like the easy-to-play-hard-to-master games, like Flappy Bird or Angry Birds. Anyone can play it, but it is really hard to achieve a good score.
- I can play it for a few minutes when I am in my way to the office
- I don't care if it is a free2play game or a paid game, but if it's a free2play I like when the developers let me decide when I want to pay. I usually give some money to any free game that keeps me playing for a couple of weeks.
- I don't like the on-screen joystick some games have. I prefer to play those games on a PC.

I know it is not much information, but I hope it can help you
Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Sounded great about creating a new game until you mentioned Flappy Bird, now i cant take it seriously
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 AM

Hey Mirlo,

It was great you responded! I don't the quantity but quality of information. =]
I completely understand what you mean. As we will be doing the F2P model, I will focus on letting people pay extra ONLY for cosmetic stuff. I don't want to force people to pay to 'up' their game at all. I want to create something like Flappy Bird or Angry Birds. I just want to hear good ideas about what we could make and what makes a game great for mobile.

I'm actually having trouble thinking about the social implementation on these games. I want to make sure that all the social aspect are clean and simple but full of features.

You know it doesn't matter how crazy or hilarious the ideas are, it's the best way to be creative!

So Mirlo, if you have any ideas, let me know!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 AM

Hey Psj,

HAHA no worries, I don't admire the game that much, but the simplicity at which he had designed and focused the gameplay experience to one thing (boring to me). We're not making anything to Flappy Bird here, we haven't had an idea of what to create at the moment. Well actually, they do, but it's not good enough. I didn't know of iCade until I saw your signature. I want to fulfill all the wants and needs from everyone, and it IS possible if we focus all of our efforts to make it possible!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Will post more detailed thoughts later, but if you looking at games that have simple touch controls and require skill, don't use Flappy Bird as inspiration. It was a trend and popular but it wasn't a very good game. Look at games like Badland, Wingdot, Canabalt, Beat Leap, Toast Time, Platforms Unlimited, Magnetized. All use simple one touch controls, all require skill to improve and progress, and all are far more polished in gameplay, visuals, and overall experience compared to Flappy Bird
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Hey Bronxsta, You're absolutely right. I got caught up in the moment of Flappy Bird's success. But I still do feel like the simple focus that the creator developed on, made the game easy to pick up and play. It's this feeling I want to get the player to feel when they pick up the game no matter how complex the game is itself. I will await your ideas! Thank you for giving me your time Bronxsta!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I do agree that simple gameplay is one of the key things, people seem to forget about gameplay sometimes and instead worry about game centre achievements and fancy graphics etc.

I'm not saying clone an old retro game but its worth looking back to seeing examples of great retro games and why people still play them now, yes theres nostalgia but i wouldnt play a retro game if its rubbish just because of nostalgia. A lot of retro games are just so playable and you need to try and capture that.

In 25 years time people will still be talking about the classics, look at those and see what makes them great.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 AM

Psj, I also do agree with you there. I always remember how games immerse me in imagination SO much many years ago. Each game had a completely different feeling. I do have to point out that I was younger and my mind was all into those games back then. However, games now days seem like a direct copy and treat game features like fashion now.
Let's see what ideas we all can come up with.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Different people want different games. You need a clear vision or your new gig might just end up as a Zynga.

For me personally, I would like Counterstrike on Apple TV with controller support.