Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Default Endless Surf (by Lemur Software)

Hi folks,

We've just released Endless Surf for iPhone and iPad. You can find it on iTunes here, or watch a video of it here.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Does this play like Bobble Surfer? If so it's an instant download for me. I spent countless hours with that game and found the controls to be incredibly precise. Congrats on the release

EDIT: bought, impressions soon!

Last edited by rich_952000; 02-10-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Does this play like Bobble Surfer? If so it's an instant download for me. I spent countless hours with that game and found the controls to be incredibly precise. Congrats on the release
Hi Rich - I remember you from the old Bobble Surfer thread! Nice to see a familiar name around here!

It's definitely got the same flow as Bobble Surfer, although we ended up going for a single touch control (similar to Jetpack Joyride). When we decided to fork the game into an endless runner and a hardcore sim (still in development) we opted for touch controls only in the endless runner. I just find it a lot easier to play when I don't have to lean my head left and right.

I tell you what, if you try it and don't like the tap only controls let me know and I'll put left/right leaning back in for the next update
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Hi Rich - I remember you from the old Bobble Surfer thread! Nice to see a familiar name around here!

It's definitely got the same flow as Bobble Surfer, although we ended up going for a single touch control (similar to Jetpack Joyride). When we decided to fork the game into an endless runner and a hardcore sim (still in development) we opted for touch controls only in the endless runner. I just find it a lot easier to play when I don't have to lean my head left and right.

I tell you what, if you try it and don't like the tap only controls let me know and I'll put left/right leaning back in for the next update
I'm liking it so far. In a future update would love to see a tilt option, but I think these controls will please the masses

I'm at work so not much time to play, but already digging it and happy to see you guys back in the game, so to speak and glad to pay a buck for an awesome game from some of the most responsive devs around.

Richard
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'm liking it so far. In a future update would love to see a tilt option, but I think these controls will please the masses

I'm at work so not much time to play, but already digging it and happy to see you guys back in the game, so to speak and glad to pay a buck for an awesome game from some of the most responsive devs around.

Richard
Thanks Richard. Back in the Bobble Surfer days I was juggling app development with a day job, but now it's just apps and games all the way so I'll be able to get issues sorted out much quicker.

It's nice to finally see some other names on the GameCenter rankings too
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Richard. Back in the Bobble Surfer days I was juggling app development with a day job, but now it's just apps and games all the way so I'll be able to get issues sorted out much quicker.

It's nice to finally see some other names on the GameCenter rankings too
Yep, I noticed I was dethroned from some of the leaderboards for being fairly simple in comparison to Bobble Surfer, I'm really enjoying this and hope you guys get plenty of sales. I'd like to see a few things in updates and have a few ideas.

Honestly my biggest desire is more tricks. I know that's not the main goal in an "endless runner" but feel it would work well here. Also, another unlockable I think would be the bees knees would be an homage to BS in either a bobble headed mode inflating the current surfers heads or a cameo appearance by Mr. Bobble.

Anyway best of luck and success. I'm sure you'll see me checking back in this thread as you guys are some of my favorite developers.

Richard
Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
When we decided to fork the game into an endless runner and a hardcore sim (still in development) we opted for touch controls only in the endless runner.:
A hardcore sim, you say? Similar to the old Xbox Transworld Surf game? Probably the best surfing game ever created. I would surf for hours in the free surf mode exploring and learning each of the different waves. I would love to see something similar come to the iPad.

Transworld Surf Video
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Oooo this looks cool I'm going to buy it now! impressions in a bit.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbis View Post
A hardcore sim, you say? Similar to the old Xbox Transworld Surf game? Probably the best surfing game ever created. I would surf for hours in the free surf mode exploring and learning each of the different waves. I would love to see something similar come to the iPad.

Transworld Surf Video
Yep, hardcore. Wave selection, paddling, shifting body weight on the board, offshore/onshore, realistic floaters and tricks. Endless Surf has all this behind the scenes (apart from the trick animations) but is locked into the more basic handling.

Big waves are unforgiving though, and it's surprising just how hard it is to surf in a realistic way. I'm not sure how much market there is for an easy surfing game, let alone a hardcode one, so we're testing the waters with Endless Surf. I think there's about a months work on my part (plus the cost of all the trick animations) needed to package up the hardcore version, but we'll hold off on that unless we get some sign that Endless Surf is popular.

I built a full on wave editor for designing the waves too - the intention was to include that in the actual game so that people can recreate their local breaks if they felt like it. The main problem with that is a realistic 3-5 footer recreated in the game looks laughably small after surfing the 10m monsters that look good on screen...

Last edited by Wade; 02-11-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Also, another unlockable I think would be the bees knees would be an homage to BS in either a bobble headed mode inflating the current surfers heads or a cameo appearance by Mr. Bobble.
Shhhhh...

And thanks for the well wishes.