Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Default iPad Mini VS iPad Mini V2 (or Retina) - worth upgrading?

Hey guys.

So I purchased an iPad mini when they were on sale during new year's and I didn't think I'd use it as much as I do.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the new Mini. I understand it has a higher resolution and a faster processor, but will I see a big difference in gaming? That is the primary use of my ipad mini - gaming. There are several articles on the net that speak of this, but not in the gaming-centric view.

I also find 16gb to not be enough so I'd get the Mini2 with 32gb for extra storage. The exchange would cost me around $300 which is quite a lot and why I'm wondering if it's really worth while...

Hopefully someone here can tell me of their own experience. I think the equivalent upgrade for full size models would be going from an Ipad 2 to the Ipad 4 (or ipad Air?)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I don't have the original mini, but I know how incredible the mini with retina is. The processor is roughly 4x faster, the graphics are roughly 8x better, the screen is 4x better, and games will support it for a long time. I would recommend the upgrade.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I've been using a mini since it's release and I'm not going to bother upgrading yet.. I happen to buy a MacBook Pro a few months before the retina version came out too, and the iPad 2 actually. I'm cursed. For some reason the gods don't want me to enjoy retina display.
Except on my iPhone, which it can't even see much of a difference with anyway.
In my opinion, it ain't worth it. Plus, isn't there a keynote coming up in February? If they announce iPad mini 2 with a ton of new features I may upgrade, but for retina alone? Hell no.
When I was gifted my mini for my birthday I thought I'd never use it because I had an iPad 2, but my iPad 2 is basically in a coma now, the lightness is amazing, so if they made iPad 2 significantly lighter, I'd probably pick it up.
And antibacterial glass.. (It exists..)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Hey guys.

So I purchased an iPad mini when they were on sale during new year's and I didn't think I'd use it as much as I do.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the new Mini. I understand it has a higher resolution and a faster processor, but will I see a big difference in gaming? That is the primary use of my ipad mini - gaming. There are several articles on the net that speak of this, but not in the gaming-centric view.

I also find 16gb to not be enough so I'd get the Mini2 with 32gb for extra storage. The exchange would cost me around $300 which is quite a lot and why I'm wondering if it's really worth while...

Hopefully someone here can tell me of their own experience. I think the equivalent upgrade for full size models would be going from an Ipad 2 to the Ipad 4 (or ipad Air?)
I have an iPad 2 3G and a retina iPad Mini LTE. I game almost exclusively on my iPad 2 as I find my rMini's screen too small.

In terms of games, my rMini runs everything I throw at it.

If you like the Mini's screen size, then go for the rMini

iPadwhoWillBeBuyingALargerWi-FiiPadToUseAtHome...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Hrm, some good food for thought.

I didn't think the Mini Retina's CPU was 4X faster... Is this confirmed? The specs of the A7 look similar to the A5 to me, although admittedly I didn't look at any benchmarks.

I'm not really interested in a full size tablet, although the mini is sometimes tough to read some small text, but it's only a very small % of gaming. I love the weight and the size, it's perfect. A full size tablet is too big for me to sit and hold in my hand for an hour, but with the mini, it's no problem.

I was thinking about it and the cost ($300 or more) to upgrade is just too steep. Honestly had I known the Mini was this good I would have just payed more for the rMini at first. With so many debts, spending $300 on a gadget seems stupid, but damn me, I'm VERY tempted lol.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Almost forgot.

Any incompatibilities between the ipad mini and new model (retina) ?

I've heard the iPad Air has some issues with apps when the other models do not, and I wasn't sure it was based on the new A7 processor, or other aspects of the air.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 AM
iPad mini, iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.sixty.four View Post
I don't have the original mini, but I know how incredible the mini with retina is. The processor is roughly 4x faster, the graphics are roughly 8x better, the screen is 4x better, and games will support it for a long time. I would recommend the upgrade.
I think these 3 are enough to tell in any device that how gaming experience would be? or isn't it. Better Processor means it will be much smoother, graphics and better resolution means much clearer and realistic experience. Actually what i thought you are not able to decide that you should upgrade towards latest retina version or not. I would say definitely give it a try if you have some extra bucks to spend.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Hrm, some good food for thought.

I didn't think the Mini Retina's CPU was 4X faster... Is this confirmed? The specs of the A7 look similar to the A5 to me, although admittedly I didn't look at any benchmarks.

I'm not really interested in a full size tablet, although the mini is sometimes tough to read some small text, but it's only a very small % of gaming. I love the weight and the size, it's perfect. A full size tablet is too big for me to sit and hold in my hand for an hour, but with the mini, it's no problem.

I was thinking about it and the cost ($300 or more) to upgrade is just too steep. Honestly had I known the Mini was this good I would have just payed more for the rMini at first. With so many debts, spending $300 on a gadget seems stupid, but damn me, I'm VERY tempted lol.
The retina iPad Mini is just basically an iPad Air shrunken down to iPad Mini size. The only differences are that it is clocked slightly slower than an iPad Air, which you have no interest in, so no issue, and it loses between half an hour to an hour of battery life compaired to the iPad Air.

Your iPad Mini (based on iPad 2) is three generations behind the retina iPad Mini (based on iPad Air.

Because: iPad 2 then iPad 3 then iPad 4 then iPad Air.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I had someone offer me $30 less than I paid for my mini (that includes taxes) and I just couldn't pass that up.

So I did end up getting the Retina model, 32gb (16gb isn't enough for premium games) and now, I am really blown away. The screen resolution on this thing is amazing. Best screen I've ever seen on any device, specially one this portable. And the games. Wow. Iesabel ran like crap on my old mini, but on this, it's perfect.

Glad I did it. It was worth the upgrade cost.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

ipad air is the best. I have one.