What Portable Charger to get?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mew2468, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm thinking of getting the PowerStick by EcoSol to charge my iPod Touch on the go. Does anybody know of any other good compact chargers like this one?

[​IMG]

2. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
  3. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
  4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    APC UPB10

it's yet to fail me and has a USB output so I can charge different devices.

(it can charge my iphone from dead to full twice before a recharge)

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    has anyone had experience with a solar powered charger?...

6. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #6 Mew2468, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    2 charges :eek:?! I'll definitely consider this one even though it's a little large for me.

Edit: Does anybody have one of these chargers? Is it pretty secure when you plug it into the iDevice?

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    www.solio.com caught my eye...

Hi Brian, glad to know I'm not the only one thinking that way.
    Solio looks interesting. Read the PDF at http://www.solio.com/charger/macdirarticle/MacDirStory.PDF

Expensive at US$169 but think about it.... Free clean energy....

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :eek:I saw a solar powered charger for $15. on meritline.com

9. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    vegant how much

10. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    #10 hkiphone, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    This may be the Holy Grail!

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Green-Technology/Powcell-solar-powered-cell-phone-charger.aspx

external battery pack like the Morphie Juice Pack, but has solar cells to recharge from natural sunlight AND ambient artificial light, such as office lighting!!! Leave it upside down on the desk to recharge and you'll never need to jack in your iPhone again!!! Unlimited power. Go Green!!!!!! :D

Update: looks like it's only coming to market recently in the UK, but is expected to sell in US too for around US$90.

11. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    I had a look at the item you suggested, but the comments suggest it's not reliable. Also, there's no way this thing clings onto the iPhone tightly, so I think it could come off easily, since batteries are heavy.
    I live in HK, and trust me, not everything made in HK is good quality!!!! ;)

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Go to mophie.com. They sell batteries in the form of a case.

Or if you're in UK, head over to firebox.com and check out the 'bluepack iPhone/iPod backup'

13. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I'm thinking of buying this. It looks really impressive and powerful. Maybe you might want to consider that as well. Plus they throw in a couple of freebies :D

14. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm thinking of getting one of those Proporta turbo portable batteries. It says it can charge the iPod 3 times, which is great.

15. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Does anybody actually have the PowerStick? I'm wondering about the performance - I read a review on some website saying it doesn't automatically stop charging the device when it's full.

[​IMG]

16. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I have the Freeloader ISIS it's the only one so far that uses the newer higher density solar panels I'm not sure why I bought it to be honest being in Northern Ireland where it's rare to get anything but cloudy skies.

It does work quite well even with my weather I can leave it on my windowsill for a couple of days and charge up my phone I haven't really had a chance to really take it outside properly yet it's meant to work a lot better not through panes of glass.

Another few positives it has a built in lightning and a built in Micro USB as well as the obvious USB port and there is an accessory (I do mean to get one first chance I get) supercharger panel that can you pair with it which supposedly can output 5v on it's own so theoretically at least you could charge your phone directly from the sunlight or just use it to charge up the ISIS from sunlight a lot faster.

Kinda feel sorry for them they chose the name ISIS for it now with recent developments but it's definitely a solid charger and the solar works pretty decently even here.