Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 PM

Default Game Attraction Factors

What attracts you to download and try a game? How would you rank these factors. What are your top 3?

A. Graphics
B. Story / Content
C. Gameplay / Mechanics
D. Rating
E. Music
F. App Size.
G. Availability
H. Developer
I. Price

*Edit, I added price.

Last edited by Panda Rascal; 02-18-2014 at 01:01 AM..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rascal View Post
What attracts you to download and try a game? How would you rank these factors. What are your top 3?

A. Graphics
B. Story / Content
C. Gameplay / Mechanics
D. Rating
E. Music
F. App Size.
G. Availability
H. Developer
Well to get me to actually look at the app when I see it on the AppStore the 3 things that attract me are probably

Developer
Rating
Title

Then when it comes to actually downloading an app, it's complicated, as I'm rarely flying blind on the AppStore. But on the odd occassion that I am...

Developer
Rating (I look at the "all reviews" as it's a better representation)
Gameplay/Mechanics

But most of the time I approach apps the same way I do other games, and look into things thoroughly. So I'll be looking at forum impressions, gameplay videos, etc., but the most important thing is definitely gameplay. Graphics are more of a bonus, and will usually not stop me from trying out a game. Story only matters when I'm looking for a story driven experience (a la Dead Space Mobile, Deus Ex: The Fall).

Just look at Threes! for example. Stellar gameplay and very pleasing visuals.

Graphics are just a thing that will make the difference between a 4.5 and a 5 star review from critics.

But there are definitely games out there that genuinely would be less valuable without their great or unique visuals (I'm looking at you Year Walk, Infinity Blade, Super Hexagon, and every game with outrageous vector graphics).

Wow, that turned into more than I had anticipated haha. Hope I actually helped, and didn't just say things you knew already

Last edited by JCho133; 02-16-2014 at 11:55 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

1. Gameplay
2. Story
3. Graphics
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
Well to get me to actually look at the app when I see it on the AppStore the 3 things that attract me are probably

Developer
Rating
Title

Then when it comes to actually downloading an app, it's complicated, as I'm rarely flying blind on the AppStore. But on the odd occassion that I am...

Developer
Rating (I look at the "all reviews" as it's a better representation)
Gameplay/Mechanics

But most of the time I approach apps the same way I do other games, and look into things thoroughly. So I'll be looking at forum impressions, gameplay videos, etc., but the most important thing is definitely gameplay. Graphics are more of a bonus, and will usually not stop me from trying out a game. Story only matters when I'm looking for a story driven experience (a la Dead Space Mobile, Deus Ex: The Fall).

Just look at Threes! for example. Stellar gameplay and very pleasing visuals.

Graphics are just a thing that will make the difference between a 4.5 and a 5 star review from critics.

But there are definitely games out there that genuinely would be less valuable without their great or unique visuals (I'm looking at you Year Walk, Infinity Blade, Super Hexagon, and every game with outrageous vector graphics).

Wow, that turned into more than I had anticipated haha. Hope I actually helped, and didn't just say things you knew already
Amazing reply! You gave me a different perspective in watching out for games. Thank you very much!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
1. Gameplay
2. Story
3. Graphics
Thank you for replying! I need it for a survey.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Dont have a panda in them!

C) Gameplay mechanics - Dont care if a game has simple graphics, gameplay is key
H) Developer - Theres quite a few devs i follow on twitter and buy most of their games

Dont care so much about graphics or music, i want the filesize to be low not huge. The rating i dont care for as so many seem fake on the app store, same for reviews so i ignore most of these now. If a game has the word 'flappy' in it i wont ever download it.

I like a lot of original games so if its another endless runner/Angry Birds clone/Flappy clone i'll stay away. If the dev gives his game a 5 star rating on the thread i'll also stay away

Last edited by psj3809; 02-17-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
For me I'd say...

C. Gameplay / Mechanics
It has to be something I think I could like, of course.

D. Rating
If it's low I usually don't bother.

A. Graphics
Impressive screenshots could convince me to try a game of a genre I usually don't play.

H. Developer
If I loved other games from the same developer it's almost certain I'll try it out.

I'd also add the price. I don't like the freemium model, so I usually don't download free games with lots of ads and consumable IAPs.
At the same time I won't pay more than two dollars for something that I'm not so sure of. At 0.99$ I'm willing to take a chance even if I'm not completely convinced.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I'd have to say c, d and h.

But I take also take other factors such as file size, price, iaps.
I have no qualms about buying a high priced game but I'll be more likely to research it more, I pay little attention to AppStore ratings, I go by what the people here say. The presence of iaps is also a factor, especially in a high priced game.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:

A. Graphics
B. Story / Content
C. Gameplay / Mechanics
D. Rating
E. Music
F. App Size.
G. Availability
H. Developer
I have to say C, B then A.

Gameplay is the most important, no question.
Content goes next, too simple or too basic isnt good.
Then graphics, have to appeal to me somehow.

And you should add IAP. That something I look on every app I buy.

Dont care who the developer is (but if I know them, better), dont trust iTunes ratings and reviews, dont care about app size unless its exagerated related to the content, couldnt care less about music (most of the time I play on mute), so if I like what I see on a trailer most of the time I buy it.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Dont have a panda in them!

C) Gameplay mechanics - Dont care if a game has simple graphics, gameplay is key
H) Developer - Theres quite a few devs i follow on twitter and buy most of their games

Dont care so much about graphics or music, i want the filesize to be low not huge. The rating i dont care for as so many seem fake on the app store, same for reviews so i ignore most of these now. If a game has the word 'flappy' in it i wont ever download it.

I like a lot of original games so if its another endless runner/Angry Birds clone/Flappy clone i'll stay away. If the dev gives his game a 5 star rating on the thread i'll also stay away
Thanks for replying! I too want a low sized game. Oh and I didn't know the dev could rate his own game. hahaha! Biased!

Oh and you don't like pandas? >.<