Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Clumsy Fish – a game for Flappy Jam

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Probably I shouldn’t talk much about it because… well, you know why. But I really feel like speaking out right now. So here’s the story.

First of all I’d like to say that our contribution to Flappy Jam is a product of art - art of pixel and sound. You’ll get what I’m talking about when you see it – polished pixels, lovely effects on the fish, bubbles and the nostalgic 8-bit sound that you’ll want to hear again and again and again.

All the graphics and sounds were designed from scratch by my fellow colleagues – Aleksandr and Tema.

Secondly, to date it’s probably the most playable and enjoyable implementation of the game. I played most of the games from Flappy Jam and even though I found some of them nice and funny, they didn’t have that hook and, frankly, left much to be desired. The controls and physics were awkward and overall they gave an impression of a cheap crap app. And you’ll immediately see or, as I would say it, feel the difference, as soon as you run our game.

Thirdly, the game is free, without ads and IAP.

So, if you just want to try it - don’t hesitate! You won’t regret the download.

Read further only if you want the TLDR story on how we came into making it.

It all began shortly after New Year. Our very small team was having a kick off dinner in one of the cafes in downtown – that was the first time Julia, our work mate, showed us the legendary Flappy Bird. Her behavior during the evening is even defined in the dictionary – phubbing - the act of snubbing someone in a social setting by looking at your phone instead of paying attention. She spent the whole evening playing the game without taking her eyes off the screen to even bite her steak.

And that was it. We were totally hooked.

I should mention that we don’t belong to those who copy games as soon as they become popular. So at first we didn’t even think of making something like that.

We even started to receive requests from people who wanted us to make a design for a FB clone. And I answered what I usually say in cases when I try to say “No” in a polite way. I sent them our prices – they are quite high, so people normally stop bugging us.

But late on Sunday, February 9th Aleksandr distracted me from playing FB with his sudden declaration. He called me and, without giving me a chance to say a word, said that he had made a design for the game and was going to make it no matter what and regardless my opinion. But the funniest thing was that I didn’t even need to be persuaded. As from the very first second of our conversation I already knew that my answer would be “Yes”. This answer had matured in my head even before the call, given that so many people supported Flappy Jam, including many famous and renowned developers.

So, it took our fellow developer Vova like about several hours on Monday, February 10th to put it to life – a real life hackaton. We tested it through the night. And early in the morning (Tuesday, February 11th) it was submitted into the App Store.

It was approved tonight and is now available for free with NO IAP and NO ads.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Happybyte; 02-19-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybyte View Post
It’s not just another cheap imitation
Hahahaha this made my day, hahahahaha

Please God make this stop, I think we had enough clones already. The AppStore is becoming a joke in that matter.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
In Time-Out
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
Please God make this stop, I think we had enough clones already. The AppStore is becoming a joke in that matter.
Agreed, it's beyond a joke now, really. It's also driving people away from iOS gaming. ..namely me, I've already tried to sell my ipad this week namely because of the utter turd the App Store is turning into.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

The only question that comes to my mind is: Why?
But I'm sure it will help you with the sales of your upcoming game.
The game plays fine but it seems to me that it's easier than FB. And it is an imitation, not a cheap one but that doesn't make it much better.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink_or_swim View Post
But I'm sure it will help you with the sales of your upcoming game.
No, it lost one sale from me.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Hahahaha this made my day, hahahahaha

http://itch.io/jam/flappyjam

Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Damn, people dont have limits do they? Man this sucks. The AppStore is going to be a joke for real gamers soon... :/
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
iPhone 5

The thing that bothers me the most is why on earth a developer who is making a original and what seems to be a good game stops the development to do this¿? I dont get it, need an explanation and quick. I read on the upcoming thread that was going to make an inspired game, I hoped for something like Flappybalt or Maverick Bird but no, a copy cat.

Happybite, ask a mod to remove this thread and remove this game for the AppStore too. We will make it as it never happened. :P

Last edited by TheFrost; 02-19-2014 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Afaik, at the moment there are 500+ clones of Flappy Bird either done or in the making. There were two front page articles by Eli about that. I think that just a few of them are released by now.
Expect a massive growth of Flappy Bird clones in 2-4 weeks, when several hundred clones are released into freedom.

Yes, here, from two days ago:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/17/th...-going-strong/

PS: Flappy Crocs was released a few minutes ago: http://appshopper.com/games/flappy-crocs

Last edited by Vovin; 02-19-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
The thing that bothers me the most is why on earth a developer who is making a original and what seems to be a good game stops the development to do this¿? I dont get it, need an explanation and quick. I read on the upcoming thread that was going to make an inspired game, I hoped for something like Flappybalt or Maverick Bird but no, a copy cat.

Happybite, ask a mod to remove this thread and remove this game for the AppStore too. We will make it as it never happened. :P
Yep. May be we should do it so. I wrote a TLDR story explaining it all.

You didn't get it so I deleted the text.

But honestly I don't think the Flappybalt, Maverick Bird or whatever similar "inspired" isn't a clone as well.

It is all shouldn't go like that in the first place.

I also would love to know what's really behind all this crazyness.