★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Words With Friends - the WORST app on the App Store?

08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Words With Friends - the WORST app on the App Store?

Please note: the following refers to the PAID version, not the free one.

I don't even WANT to play online, just with local friends, but the game is demanding I sign in with an account before it'll let me play? WHAT account? I've never been given the opportunity to open one, and the game's Help screen just directs me to useless options like reminding me what my password is. I don't HAVE a password, you dumb heap of crap, because you haven't let me open an account anywhere, or told me where to go to do it!

Eventually, after a lot of guesswork, wasted time bouncing around half-a-dozen different unhelpful web pages with the fiddly iPod browser and general dicking about, I managed to get an account and laboriously got a game started, and THERE ARE FULL-SCREEN ADVERTS AFTER EVERY SINGLE MOVE, repeatedly asking me if I want to install some other pile of irritating garbage from the same company even though I've already said "No" the first six times and am not likely to have changed my mind in the 15 seconds that have elapsed since then.

Hey, developers - you're aware that I paid MONEY for this program, yes? Then SHUT THE HELL UP with your damn ads. (PS I did read the blurb that said there were ads the first time you ran the game as the result of a bug. However, when I quit out and restart as instructed, nothing changes. There are still ads after every single move.)

And to cap it all, when you're finally allowed to play a game after all the preliminary tossery and in between the constant adverts, it's arranged so that there's no way to pass the iPod to the other player without one of you seeing the other one's letters, rendering the entire thing utterly useless for its only purpose.

Absolutely the single worst app I've bought since owning my iPod, by a million miles, no contest. If I could give it five minus stars I would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pieceofshit.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6433  

Last edited by SpungoMcGee; 08-13-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added pic to prove it's the paid version
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
The game is meant to be played online, and I don't recall the paid version displaying any ads. The full screen ads you refer to belong to the free version.

If you don't have an account, selecting a name and password creates one for you. Easy as 1 2 3.

You seem quite furious for someone who at worst case scenario lost a dollar.

08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
The game is meant to be played online, and I don't recall the paid version displaying any ads.

You seem quite furious for someone who at worst case scenario lost a dollar.
Damn right I'm angry. I don't like having my time wasted and I don't like having ANY amount of money stolen from me by liars. The game's entry absolutely explicitly says it plays local pass-the-iPod games, but in fact it's useless for that, and it says there aren't ads in the paid version when there are. All lies.

Quote:
If you don't have an account, selecting a name and password creates one for you. Easy as 1 2 3.
Bullshit. There is absolutely no option from the game's load screen to select a password.
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpungoMcGee View Post
Damn right I'm angry. I don't like having my time wasted and I don't like having ANY amount of money stolen from me by liars. The game's entry absolutely explicitly says it plays local pass-the-iPod games, but in fact it's useless for that, and it says there aren't ads in the paid version when there are. All lies.
There are no ads in the paid version. What are you talking about?

If you honestly think WWF is the worst entry in the AppStore, I must welcome you to the scene as you are clearly a newcomer.

The beauty of the AppStore enviroment is that developers have the ability to address concerns by the users and issue updates that fix those problems. Instead of this pointless vitriol, perhaps contacting the developers and stating your case would have been more productive in getting all that dollar's worth.

Quote:
Bullshit. There is absolutely no option from the game's load screen to select a password.
Wait, you are right. You don't have to chose a password, which only makes it easier.

Put in your email (any email will do), chose a screenname, you are in. Wow, look at that! I didn't even need CIA codebreakers to figure out how to get in. It took all of 2 minutes, including taking the screenshot and uploading it.

It's people like you, incapable of using the simplest applications, who go and post inane reviews claiming a perfectly functioning app is "broken".

Last edited by IzzyNobre; 08-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I have the paid version and there are no ads whatsoever. Pass and play also works flawlessly.

Did you try the free version first? Are you sure you uninstalled it if you did, and installed the paid version?

Weird you are having these problems, the game works absolutely perfectly for me.
08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with Words With Friends. This man simply couldn't get past the username registration step and decided to throw a tantrum.

All over one dollar.
08-13-2009, 04:05 PM