Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default The Collectables (by Mobage/Crytek)

Last edited by killercow; 03-20-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Aw... They had to release this through Mobage? O_o
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Aw... They had to release this through Mobage? O_o
Yeah, I figured that wouldn't go down very well. I'm just about to fire it up so I'll obviously leave impressions, hopefully our worries are for nothing!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM

Hmmm
Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Ugh. Energy bar, incredibly expensive consumable IAPs, bizarre AI and an awkward control scheme at times. Not sure this will stay on my iPad for long unfortunately. It IS very pretty though and I do love collecting cards - I just wish a premium game would come out with that mechanic...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Ugh. Energy bar, incredibly expensive consumable IAPs, bizarre AI and an awkward control scheme at times. Not sure this will stay on my iPad for long unfortunately. It IS very pretty though and I do love collecting cards - I just wish a premium game would come out with that mechanic...
Unfortunate, yet not surprising as this seems to be par for the course for Mobage. Thanks for the impressions, Pete.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Can soldiers be individually controlled (i.e. movement, moving into cover, shooting, etc.)? How's the control scheme overall?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
Can soldiers be individually controlled (i.e. movement, moving into cover, shooting, etc.)? How's the control scheme overall?
They can be controlled via both methods. Admittedly my impressions were early so I could easily have missed something but I had a lot of trouble with it.

Most of the time you move as a group, but you can only take cover behind objects by moving individual soldiers. There's no pausing to move troops so that gets pretty messy during combat and targetting is done automatically. There didn't seem to be a way to take cover before combat and draw enemies in front of you out, they simply stay in cover until you're in range so you're left running up to them to "activate" them and then run back and take cover individually and manually so you don't die.

There must be a better way to do things though and I'll freely admit I could be wrong. The rest of the controls wasn't too bad. You have your cards that can be used by dragging them out from the menu at the bottom of the screen. You tap on objects to interact with them and the menus are perfectly fine. It's just the one issue, but it's pretty game-breaking for me at least.

I definitely recommend trying it out though, hopefully I'll be in the minority and others will enjoy it much more
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm really quite torn on this, despite my problems mentioned earlier. The energy system (whilst I despise its existance) is not too stingy and the card system works really rather well. The encouraging of replaying levels is actually a nice feature and gives a nice incentive to keep coming back. The game itself is pretty fun.

That said, the negatives are sure to put a lot of people off and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone fervently against freemium; this game will not change your mind. I replayed the first level 5 times to earn the final reward of 5 gold bars so I thought I'd check out what I can buy with this premium currency. The cheapest item is 89 gold bars...it's almost insulting that it was the "ultimate" reward when the previous items were some very useful cards.