App description: Command a crew of renegade soldiers and lead them into explosive combat with strategic precision in The Collectables. In the latest blockbuster from award-winning developer Crytek, youll wage war in stunning 3D environments and seek to overthrow a ruthless army known only as The Enemy.
As the action reaches critical mass and the bad guys close in for the kill, you alone can unleash the individual talents of your rebel mercenaries and blow the enemy sky-high! Choose your favorite heroes, dust off your bazooka and get to the chopper it's time to let off some steam.

easy to grasp, fast-paced and gorgeous. Gamezebo
a surprising treat in the overcrowded sea of free-to-play games. Digital Spy
seriously impressive to behold. Pocket Gamer

CUTTING-EDGE GRAPHICS. Discover the true power of your mobile device with groundbreaking 3D visuals that capture the intensity of battle.
EXPLOSIVE BATTLES. Fight your way through hordes of different enemy types from standard grunts to powerful bosses using intuitive controls to dominate the battlefield.
UPGRADE YOUR TROOPS. Before you head into battle, optimize your soldiers and skills using a collecting card system that unlocks stacks of new ways to obliterate the Enemy.
DEVASTATING SPECIAL ABILITIES. Use special action cards that expand your arsenal of destruction Sentry guns, Molotov cocktails, Artillery strikes, and Adrenalin boosts are yours to command.
REWARDING GAMEPLAY. Earn rewards that give you a leg up on the competition as you advance and upgrade your troops into an unstoppable wrecking crew.

The Collectables is powered by Mobage, the best, free, social game network.
Got questions about the permissions that Mobage-powered games require? Visit: http://moba.ge/app--permissions
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Game Impressions

02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Aw... They had to release this through Mobage? O_o

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Aw... They had to release this through Mobage? O_o
Yeah, I figured that wouldn't go down very well. I'm just about to fire it up so I'll obviously leave impressions, hopefully our worries are for nothing!

https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/ - Daily iOS Roundups and Multi-Platform Reviews.
Xbox: PeteOzzy Steam: PeteOzzy GC: PeteOzzy107 PSN: PeteOzzy107 Friend Invites always welcome.
02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Hmmm
02-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Ugh. Energy bar, incredibly expensive consumable IAPs, bizarre AI and an awkward control scheme at times. Not sure this will stay on my iPad for long unfortunately. It IS very pretty though and I do love collecting cards - I just wish a premium game would come out with that mechanic...

https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/ - Daily iOS Roundups and Multi-Platform Reviews.
Xbox: PeteOzzy Steam: PeteOzzy GC: PeteOzzy107 PSN: PeteOzzy107 Friend Invites always welcome.
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Ugh. Energy bar, incredibly expensive consumable IAPs, bizarre AI and an awkward control scheme at times. Not sure this will stay on my iPad for long unfortunately. It IS very pretty though and I do love collecting cards - I just wish a premium game would come out with that mechanic...
Unfortunate, yet not surprising as this seems to be par for the course for Mobage. Thanks for the impressions, Pete.
02-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Can soldiers be individually controlled (i.e. movement, moving into cover, shooting, etc.)? How's the control scheme overall?
02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
Can soldiers be individually controlled (i.e. movement, moving into cover, shooting, etc.)? How's the control scheme overall?
They can be controlled via both methods. Admittedly my impressions were early so I could easily have missed something but I had a lot of trouble with it.

Most of the time you move as a group, but you can only take cover behind objects by moving individual soldiers. There's no pausing to move troops so that gets pretty messy during combat and targetting is done automatically. There didn't seem to be a way to take cover before combat and draw enemies in front of you out, they simply stay in cover until you're in range so you're left running up to them to "activate" them and then run back and take cover individually and manually so you don't die.

There must be a better way to do things though and I'll freely admit I could be wrong. The rest of the controls wasn't too bad. You have your cards that can be used by dragging them out from the menu at the bottom of the screen. You tap on objects to interact with them and the menus are perfectly fine. It's just the one issue, but it's pretty game-breaking for me at least.

I definitely recommend trying it out though, hopefully I'll be in the minority and others will enjoy it much more

02-19-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm really quite torn on this, despite my problems mentioned earlier. The energy system (whilst I despise its existance) is not too stingy and the card system works really rather well. The encouraging of replaying levels is actually a nice feature and gives a nice incentive to keep coming back. The game itself is pretty fun.

That said, the negatives are sure to put a lot of people off and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone fervently against freemium; this game will not change your mind. I replayed the first level 5 times to earn the final reward of 5 gold bars so I thought I'd check out what I can buy with this premium currency. The cheapest item is 89 gold bars...it's almost insulting that it was the "ultimate" reward when the previous items were some very useful cards.